2007 Copa Sudamericana
|2007 Copa Nissan Sudamericana de Clubes
2007 Copa Nissan Sul-americana do Clubes
|Dates||July 31 - December 5|
|Teams||34 (from 12 associations)|
|Champions||Arsenal (1st title)|
|Goals scored||155 (2.35 per match)|
|Top scorer(s)||Ricardo Ciciliano (6)|
The 2007 edition of the Copa Sudamericana was played by 34 teams; 30 teams from the CONMEBOL and 4 teams from the CONCACAF. CONMEBOL organized the tournament and invited three North American clubs which were the best three of the CONCACAF Champions' Cup 2007; the fourth North American club was the defending champion Pachuca. The official draw took place on May 22 in Buenos Aires.
The Argentine club Arsenal de Sarandí won their first international title by defeating América in the final, winning 3-2 in the first leg and losing 2-1 in the second leg, which was the only game that they lost. Arsenal scored at least three goals in their opponents stadium in four of the five games they played. They defeated San Lorenzo, an Argentine club that recently won the 2007 Clausura, the Brazilian club Goiás, Argentine giant River Plate and the strongest rivals of Mexican football, Guadalajara and America.
This is the third time a Mexican club has reached the final, and the fourth title for Argentine clubs in the competition. Arsenal became only the third Argentine club to win a major international tournament without winning the Argentine league first, after Lanús and Talleres de Córdoba. They were also the first Argentine club other than Boca Juniors to win an international title since San Lorenzo won the Copa Sudamericana 2002.
- Preliminary Rounds: Between July 31 and September 6
- Round of 16: Between September 11 and October 4
- Quarterfinals: Between October 9 and November 1
- Semifinals: Between November 6 and November 15
- Finals: Between November 28 and December 5
The table gives the teams in the first round gathered in elimination groups of 2 teams or 4 teams. Teams hosting the first game are on the left. Advancing teams are in bold.
|Team 1||Agg.||Team 2||1st leg||2nd leg|
|Argentina I Preliminary|
|Argentina IV Preliminary|
|Brazil I Preliminary|
|Atlético Paranaense||2-6||Vasco da Gama||2-4||0-2|
|Brazil II Preliminary|
|Brazil III Preliminary|
|Brazil IV Preliminary|
|Audax Italiano||3-1||Jorge Wilstermann||2-0||1-1|
|Round of 16||Quarterfinals||Semifinals||Finals|
|Vasco da Gama||0||3||3|
|Vasco da Gama||0||1||1|
|São Paulo (a)||1||1||2|
|Millonarios (p)||1||1||2 (7)|
|Colo Colo||1||1||2 (6)|
|Arsenal (p)||0||0||0 (4)|
|River Plate||0||0||0 (2)|
|River Plate (a)||2||0||2|
- "Draw for the Nissan South American Cup 2007". www.conmebol.com. 2007-05-08. Archived from the original on 2007-09-29. Retrieved 2007-05-15.
- "Copa Nissan Sudamericana 2007: cuadro general de los clasificados". www.conmebol.com (in Spanish). 2007-05-21. Archived from the original on 2007-09-26. Retrieved 2007-05-23.
- "Double the dominance". sportsillustrated.cnn.com. 2007-05-11. Retrieved 2007-05-15.
- "United invited to Copa Nissan Sudamericana". dcunited.mlsnet.com. 2007-05-21. Retrieved 2007-05-21.