Copeland (UK Parliament constituency)
|for the House of Commons|
Boundary of Copeland in Cumbria.
Location of Cumbria within England.
|Electorate||63,696 (December 2010)|
|Member of Parliament||Jamie Reed (Labour)|
|Number of members||One|
|European Parliament constituency||North West England|
In 1983, the existing Whitehaven constituency was renamed Copeland; Jack Cunningham, who had previously been the member for Whitehaven, stood for and won the seat. Its boundaries remained unchanged, being co-terminous with the local government district of Copeland.
History of boundaries
Parliament accepted the Boundary Commission's Fifth Periodic Review of Westminster constituencies by making slight changes to this constituency for the 2010 general election, namely the addition of the wards:
- Crummock, Dalton, Derwent Valley and Keswick in the Allerdale District.
As such seat grew beyond all the district of Copeland, much of which is the Lake District to take the three wards and the small town of Keswick also in the District, with a greater electorate than the three very expansive wards combined. This saw Keswick fall in the seat for the first time, which was the main topic in public consultations regarding the changes.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|General Election 2010: Copeland|
|Liberal Democrat||Frank Hollowell||4,365||10.2||−3.7|
Elections in the 2000s
|General Election 2005: Copeland|
|Liberal Democrat||Frank Hollowell||3,880||11.5||+0.8|
|English Democrats||Alan Mossop||662||2.0||N/A|
|General Election 2001: Copeland|
|Liberal Democrat||Mark Gayler||3,732||10.7||+1.5|
Elections in the 1990s
|General Election 1997: Copeland|
|Liberal Democrat||Roger C. Putnam||3,814||9.2||+1.6|
|Referendum Party||Chris Johnston||1,036||2.5||N/A|
|ProLife Alliance||Gerard Hanratty||389||0.9||N/A|
|General Election 1992: Copeland|
|Conservative||Philip G. Davies||19,889||43.4||+0.4|
|Liberal Democrat||Roger C. Putnam||3,508||7.6||−1.5|
|Natural Law||James R. Sinton||148||0.3||N/A|
Elections in the 1980s
|General Election 1987: Copeland|
|Conservative||Ashton Reginald Marson Toft||19,105||43.0|
|Social Democratic||Edward Thomas Colgan||4,052||9.1|
|Green||Robert Anthony Gibson||319||0.72|
|General Election 1983: Copeland|
|Social Democratic||J. Beasley||6,722||15.85|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- 2010 post-revision map non-metropolitan areas and unitary authorities of England
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "C" (part 5)[self-published source][better source needed]
- Copeland, BBC News
- "UK General Election results April 1992". Richard Kimber's Political Science Resources. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Retrieved 2010-12-06.