Copper Mountain Solar Facility
|Copper Mountain Solar Facility|
Copper Mountain Solar 1 (at left)
Location of Copper Mountain Solar Facility in Nevada
|Location||Boulder City, Nevada|
|Construction began||January 2010|
|Commission date||December 1, 2010|
|Construction cost||$141 million|
|Units operational||775,000 First Solar panels|
|Nameplate capacity||150 MW
Planned: 418 MW
|Annual generation||316 GWh|
The Copper Mountain Solar Facility is a 458 MWp solar photovoltaic power plant in Boulder City, Nevada. Sempra Generation announced on December 1, 2010 that it had finished phase 1 of the project and the facility was generating electricity. When the facility entered service, it was the largest photovoltaic plant in the U.S. at 58 MW.
The expected output of 100 GW·h/year from Copper Mountain Solar Facility phase 1 has been sold to Pacific Gas & Electric under a 20-year power purchase agreement (PPA). Power generated from phase 2 has been sold to Pacific Gas & Electric under a 25-year power purchase agreement (PPA). Power generated from phase 3 is sold to the Southern California Public Power Authority.
An expansion of the facility by more than 200 MW was approved in 2010. On August 4, 2011, Sempra announced a plan to expand the facility by 92 MW to be online in January 2013 and another 58 MW to be added by 2015.
Copper Mountain Solar 3 is the third phase of the Copper Mountain Solar complex. Construction on the 250 MW solar project began in 2013 and was completed in early 2015, with a formal dedication ceremony on 30th April 2015. This stage is capable of generating enough electricity to power about 80,000 homes.
Copper Mountain Solar 4 is the fourth phase of the Copper Mountain Solar complex. Construction on the 94 MW expansion project is scheduled to commence in 2015, creating about 350 construction jobs at peak, with completion expected by year-end 2016.
- Solar 1 is the original 58 MW 1st phase with an expansion
- Solar 2 is the 150 MW phase 2.
- Solar 3 is the 250 MW phase 3.
- Solar 4 is the planned 94 MW phase 4.
- List of photovoltaic power stations
- El Dorado Solar Power Plant
- Renewable energy in the United States
- Renewable portfolio standard
- Solar power plants in the Mojave Desert
- Solar power in Nevada
- Solar power in the United States
- Copper Mountain Solar I
- America's Largest PV Power Plant Is Now Live (December 6, 2010), Renewable Energy World.
- "Copper Mountain Solar, the Largest Photovoltaic Solar Plant in the U.S.". Solar Thermal Magazine. Retrieved April 11, 2011.
- Shine, Conor (March 20, 2012). "Five things you should know about Copper Mountain Solar before President Obama’s visit". Las Vegas Sun. Retrieved March 21, 2012.
- "PG&E Contracts With Sempra Generation For More Solar Power" (Press release). Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E). July 27, 2009. Retrieved 19 August 2011.
- Goldberg, Delen (April 3, 2011). "Questions emerge over tax breaks for solar project". Las Vegas Sun. Retrieved August 19, 2011.
- Sempra to expand Copper Mountain solar plant, Reuters, Aug 4, 201
- Copper Mountain Solar 2
- Copper Mountain Solar 3
- Copper Mountain Solar 4
- Energy Information Administration. "Copper Mountain Solar 2, Monthly". Electricity Data Browser. Retrieved May 13, 2014.