Coptic Orthodox Church in the United Kingdom
The Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria has many churches in the United Kingdom and Ireland, under the jurisdiction of one metropolitan and four bishops. The first liturgical service prayed in the United Kingdom took place in London on 10 August 1954, officiated by delegates attending the general assembly of the World Council of Churches. The foundation of the church and its establishment of a parish started with a liturgical service held in London in February 1969, prayed by the Bishop of Christian Education, Shenouda (later Pope Shenouda III, the 117th Pope of the Church). Subsequently the Coptic Orthodox parish of St. Mark, the first Coptic Orthodox Church to be established in the United Kingdom, began holding regular services and was served by three monk priests who later on became members of the Holy Synod of the mother church in Egypt. Pope Shenouda III consecrated St. Mark's Coptic Orthodox Church in Kensington, London in 1979. The first Coptic Orthodox bishop he sent to the United Kingdom, in 1985, was a General bishop, Bishop Missael, who established St. Mary & St. Antony's Coptic Orthodox Church in Birmingham later that year and St. Mary & St. Mark's Coptic Orthodox Centre in 1989. On 26 May 1991, Bishop Missael was consecrated by Pope Shenouda III as the first bishop of the first Coptic Orthodox diocese in the United Kingdom, the Diocese of Birmingham, which became the Diocese of the Midlands. In the next three decades the Coptic Orthodox Church and congregation grew quickly.
- 1 Historical background
- 2 British Orthodox Church
- 3 Coptic Orthodox Diocese of Ireland, Scotland, North East England and its Affiliated Regions
- 4 Coptic Orthodox Diocese of the Midlands
- 5 South Wales
- 6 Patriarchal Exarchate at Stevenage, Hertfordshire, South England
- 7 Coptic Orthodox Churches In London
- 8 Brighton and Hove
- 9 Eritrean Orthodox Church congregation in the UK
- 10 See also
- 11 References
- 12 External links
It is also known within the Celtic tradition, especially in Ireland, that the foundation of the monastic system among the Celts was either based in portion on or inspired by the Egyptian monastic system, and there are many traces of Alexandrine theology embedded in Celtic theology.
British Orthodox Church
Metropolitan Seraphim, Metropolitan of the Holy Metropolis of Glastonbury, and Primate of the British Orthodox Church. The British Orthodox Church came under the jurisdiction of the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate in 1994 and its mission is to the British people.
British Orthodox churches and missions
- Bournemouth: Church of Christ the Saviour - Osborne Road, Winton, Bournemouth, Dorset
- Chatham: St Alban and St Athanasios' Mission - St Alban’s Church, St Alban’s Walk, Ordnance Street, Chatham, Kent
- Doncaster: Church of St Mark & St Hubert - Cusworth Village, Doncaster, South Yorkshire
- King's Lynn: Church of St Mary & St Felix - Babingley, Sandringham Estate, King’s Lynn, Norfolk
- London Mission: St George & Paul the Hermit - St George’s in the East, Cannon Street Road, London
- London: St Thomas the Apostle Orthodox Parish - St Thomas’ Parish Church, Maryon Road, Charlton, London
- Portsmouth: St Mary & St Moses Parish - St Faith’s Church, 82A Craswell Street, Portsmouth
- Windsor: Orthodox Mission of St Andrew - Mill Lane, Clewer, Windsor - www.orthodoxwindsor.co.uk
Coptic Orthodox Diocese of Ireland, Scotland, North East England and its Affiliated Regions
- Bromley - St. John the Evangelist's Church.
- Margate (Kent) - St. Michael & St. Bishoy Church.
- Newcastle - St. George & St. Athanasius Church.
- York & Leeds - St. Mary & St. Abanoub Church.
- Rotherham - St. Antonius Church.
- Norwich - St. Athanasius Church.
- Guilford - St Augustine Church.
- Bournemouth - St. Peter & St. Paul Church.
- Plymouth - St. Mary and St. George Church.
- Scarborough - St. Athanasius Monastery.
- Kirkcaldy. St. Mark Church
- Dublin - St. Mary & St. Demiana Church
- Galway - Seven Coptic Monks Church
- Belfast - St. Steven Church
- Cahir - St. Mina Church
Coptic Orthodox Diocese of the Midlands
Bishop Missael is the bishop of the Holy Diocese of the Midlands. The Diocese was established in 1991 by Pope Shenouda III, making it the oldest diocese in the United Kingdom for the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate. The Diocese is currently based at the Coptic Orthodox Centre in Lapworth, Warwickshire, where Bishop Missael resides. Its territories include North Wales and the English regions: West Midlands, East Midlands, North West and parts of the South East, South West and East of England.
- St. Mary & St. Mark's Coptic Orthodox Centre (includes St. Mary & St. Abu-Sefein's Church)
- St. Mary & Archangel Michael's Coptic Orthodox Cathedral (under construction)
- St. Mary and St. Antony's Coptic Orthodox Church
- St. Mary & St. Mina's Coptic Orthodox Church
- North Wales
- St. Mary & St. Abaskhyron's Coptic Orthodox Church
There are also communities served in:
- Official Website of the Coptic Orthodox Diocese of the Midlands, U.K.
- Coptic Orthodox Churches in Birmingham
- St. Mary & St. Mina's Coptic Orthodox Church of Manchester
- St. Mary & St. George's Coptic Orthodox Church of Nottingham
- St. Mary & St. Abaskhyron's Coptic Orthodox Church of Llandudno, North Wales
Further information: Coptic Orthodox Church in Wales
- St Mary’s and St Abu Saifain’s Coptic Orthodox Church. This Church is under patriarchal supervision of Pope Tawadros II of Alexandria since he is currently the head of the Parish's Council. Although the Coptic Orthodox congregation has been present in Wales since the 1960s, the Church in Wales was only consecrated in 1992 by HH Pope Shenouda III of Alexandria.
Patriarchal Exarchate at Stevenage, Hertfordshire, South England
Coptic Orthodox Churches In London
- St. Mark's Coptic Orthodox Church, London (Fr. Antonious Thabet, Fr. Thomas Ghobrial)
- St. Mary and Archangel Michael's Coptic Orthodox Church, Golden Green (Fr. Looka Kamel, Fr.Mina barsoum)
- St. Mary and St. Shenouda's Coptic Orthodox Church, Coulsdon (Fr. Ishak Henien)
- St. Mary and Pope Kyrillos VI's Coptic Orthodox Church, Hounslow, London (Fr. Morkos)
- St. Mary and St. George's Coptic Orthodox Church, East London (Fr. Timon)
- St. John Coptic Orthodox Church, Bromley, London (Fr. Antonius Nagib)
Brighton and Hove
- St Mary and St Abraam Coptic Orthodox Church, Hove as of 2014[update] was under the supervision of Bishop Paula, the head of the Parish's Council.
Eritrean Orthodox Church congregation in the UK
- Coptic Orthodox Church in Europe
- Oriental Orthodoxy
- British Orthodox Church
- Coptic Orthodox Church in Wales
- St Mary’s and St Abu Saifain’s Coptic Orthodox Church Risca, South Wales.
- St Mary and St Abraam Coptic Orthodox Church, Hove, South England.
- Metropolitan Seraphim of Glastonbury
- Bishop Angaelos
- British Orthodox Church website
- St Mark Coptic Orthodox Church, London website
- St John Coptic Orthodox Church, Bromley .
- Coptic Orthodox Diocese of Midlands, U.K.
- Coptic Orthodox Centre Stevenage
- Coptic Orthodox Diocese of Ireland, Scotland and North East England website
- St Peter and St Paul's Coptic Orthodox Church, Bournemouth website
- St. Mary and St. Shenouda Coptic Orthodox Church
- St. Mary and St. Abanoub Coptic Orthodox Church, North and West Yorkshire