Coptic Orthodox Church in the United Kingdom
The Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria has many churches in the United Kingdom and Ireland, under the jurisdiction of one metropolitan and four bishops. The first liturgical service prayed in the United Kingdom took place in London on 10 August 1954, officiated by delegates attending the general assembly of the World Council of Churches. The foundation of the church and its establishment of a parish was cornerstoned by a historic liturgical service held in London in February 1969, prayed by the then Bishop of Christian Education, Bishop Shenouda (who became the late His Holiness Pope Shenouda III, the 117th Pope of the Church). Subsequently, the Coptic Orthodox parish of St. Mark, the first Coptic Orthodox Church to be established in the United Kingdom, began holding regular services and was served by three monk priests who later on became members of the Holy Synod of the mother church in Egypt. His Holiness Pope Shenouda III consecrated St. Mark's Coptic Orthodox Church in Kensington, London in 1979. The first Coptic Orthodox bishop to be sent to the United Kingdom by Pope Shenouda III, in 1985, was a General bishop, Bishop Missael, who established St. Mary & St. Antony's Coptic Orthodox Church in Birmingham later that year and St. Mary & St. Mark's Coptic Orthodox Centre in 1989. On 26 May 1991, Bishop Missael was consecrated by Pope Shenouda III as the first bishop of the first Coptic Orthodox diocese in the United Kingdom, the Diocese of Birmingham, which is today known as the Diocese of the Midlands in the U.K. In the next three decades the Coptic Orthodox Church and congregation grew quickly.
- 1 Historical background
- 2 British Orthodox Church
- 3 Coptic Orthodox Diocese of Ireland, Scotland, North East England and its Affiliated Regions
- 4 Coptic Orthodox Diocese of the Midlands, U.K.
- 5 South Wales
- 6 Patriarchal Exarchate at Stevenage, Hertfordshire, South England
- 7 Coptic Orthodox Churches In London
- 8 Brighton and Hove
- 9 Eritrean Orthodox Church congregation in the UK
- 10 See also
- 11 References
- 12 External links
It is also known within the Celtic tradition, especially in Ireland, that the foundation of the monastic system among the Celts was either based in portion on or inspired by the Egyptian monastic system and there are many traces of Alexandrine theology embedded in Celtic theology. So the return of the Church of Alexandria to these lands is of certain importance.
British Orthodox Church
Metropolitan Seraphim, Metropolitan of the Holy Metropolis of Glastonbury, and Primate of the British Orthodox Church. The British Orthodox Church came under the jurisdiction of the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate in 1994 and its mission is to the British people.
British Orthodox churches and missions
- Bournemouth: Church of Christ the Saviour - Osborne Road, Winton, Bournemouth, Dorset
- Chatham: St Alban and St Athanasios' Mission - St Alban’s Church, St Alban’s Walk, Ordnance Street, Chatham, Kent
- Doncaster: Church of St Mark & St Hubert - Cusworth Village, Doncaster, South Yorkshire
- King's Lynn: Church of St Mary & St Felix - Babingley, Sandringham Estate, King’s Lynn, Norfolk
- London Mission: St George & Paul the Hermit - St George’s in the East, Cannon Street Road, London
- London: St Thomas the Apostle Orthodox Parish - St Thomas’ Parish Church, Maryon Road, Charlton, London
- Portsmouth: St Mary & St Moses Parish - St Faith’s Church, 82A Craswell Street, Portsmouth
- Windsor: Orthodox Mission of St Andrew - Mill Lane, Clewer, Windsor - www.orthodoxwindsor.co.uk
Coptic Orthodox Diocese of Ireland, Scotland, North East England and its Affiliated Regions
- Bromley - St. John the Evangelist's Church.
11 Dunbar Avenue, Beckenham, Kent, BR3 3rg Website Rev. Fr. Antonius Nagib
- Margate (Kent) - St. Michael & St. Bishoy Church.
Northdown Road, Cliftonville Margate - Kent CT9 2RD England - UK, Rev. Fr. Angelos El Antony
- Newcastle - St. George & St. Athanasius Church.
67 Brighton Grove, Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne & Wear, NE4 5NT England – UK. Rev.Fr. Karas Anba Bishoy, Rev.Fr. Saraphim El Souryany
- York & Leeds - St. Mary & St. Abanoub Church.
Harewood Rd - Arthington Otley – West Yorkshire - LS21 1PL Website, Rev. Fr. Abanoub St. Paul
- Rotherham - St. Antonius Church.
St. Ann's Road, Eastwood Rotherham, - S65 1PA England - UK Website, Rev. Fr Mosa Roshdy
- Norwich - St. Athanasius Church.
Easton Bark, Maringford Road Norwich – NR9 5AD England - UK Website, Rev.Fr. Shishoy El Antony
- Guilford - St Augustine Church.
Station Approach Gomshall Surrey, GU5 9NU Website, Rev. Fr. Dawod St.Antony
- Bournemouth - St. Peter & St. Paul Church.
26 Calvin Road, Winton Bournemouth Website, Rev. Fr. Botros Elmoharaky
- Plymouth - St. Mary and St. George Church.
The Holy Cross Church Beaumont Road, Plymouth PL4 9BE England - UK, Rev. Fr. Polykarpos El-Samueily
- Scarborough - St. Athanasius Monastery.
Langdale End - Scarborough YO13 0LH, Website Rev. Fr.Bishoy St.Athanasius Rev. Fr.Yostos St.Athanasius Rev. Fr.Arsenius St.Athanasius
- Kirkcaldy. St. Mark Church
264 Link 's Street, Kirkcaldy Fife, KY1 1QE Scotland - UK, Website, Rev. Fr. Mark Aziz
- Dublin - St. Mary & St. Demiana Church
4/5 The Pines, Herbert Road, Bray, Co. - Wicklow Ireland Phone: (353) 1 2866809. Rev. Fr. Athanasius George, Rev. Fr. Phelopater El Bakhomy, Rev. Fr. Thomas Joseph Flanagan.
- Galway - Seven Coptic Monks Church
The Coptic House Maws Revagh- Kilcoona Headford - co. Galway Ireland, Rev. Fr. Pauls El Antony
- Belfast - St. Steven Church
Poor Clare Monastery, Our Lady's and St.Michael's 120 Clintonville Rd. Belfast BT 14 6LA, Rev. Fr. Ilaryon El Antony
- Cahir - St. Mina Church
Priest Rd. Killemly, cahir, Co.Tipperary Church phone: (353) 5245947, Rev. Fr. Epiphanious Ava Mina
Coptic Orthodox Diocese of the Midlands, U.K.
Bishop Missael, Bishop of the Holy Diocese of the Midlands, U.K. (formerly the Diocese of Birmingham). The Diocese was established in 1991 by Pope Shenouda III, making it the oldest diocese in the United Kingdom for the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate. The Diocese is currently based at the Coptic Orthodox Centre in Lapworth, Warwickshire, where Bishop Missael resides. Its territories include North Wales and the English regions: West Midlands, East Midlands, North West and parts of the South East, South West and East of England.
- St. Mary & St. Mark's Coptic Orthodox Centre (includes St. Mary & St. Abu-Sefein's Church)
- St. Mary & Archangel Michael's Coptic Orthodox Cathedral (under construction)
- St. Mary and St. Antony's Coptic Orthodox Church
- St. Mary & St. Mina's Coptic Orthodox Church
- St. Mary & St. George's Coptic Orthodox Church
- St. Mary & St. Abaskhyron's Coptic Orthodox Church
There are currently 5 rented/temporary churches:
- Official Website of the Coptic Orthodox Diocese of the Midlands, U.K.
- Coptic Orthodox Churches in Birmingham
- St. Mary & St. Mina's Coptic Orthodox Church of Manchester
- St. Mary & St. George's Coptic Orthodox Church of Nottingham
- St. Mary & St. Abaskhyron's Coptic Orthodox Church of Llandudno, North Wales
- St Mary’s and St Abu Saifain’s Coptic Orthodox Church. This Church is under patriarchal supervision of Pope Tawadros II of Alexandria since he is currently the head of the Parish's Council. Although the Coptic Orthodox congregation has been present in Wales since the 1960s, the Church in Wales was only consecrated in 1992 by HH Pope Shenouda III of Alexandria.
Patriarchal Exarchate at Stevenage, Hertfordshire, South England
Coptic Orthodox Churches In London
All Churches in the Greater London area are under patriarchal supervision of Pope Tawadros II of Alexandria since he is currently the head of each Parish's Council.
- St. Mark's Coptic Orthodox Church, London (Fr. Antonious Thabet, Fr. Thomas Ghobrial)
- St. Mary and Archangel Michael's Coptic Orthodox Church, Golden Green (Fr. Looka Kamel, Fr.Mina barsoum)
- St. Mary and St. Shenouda's Coptic Orthodox Church, Coulsdon (Fr. Ishak Henien)(Website: http://www.smass.co.uk/)
- St. Mary and St. Cyril's Coptic Orthodox Church, Hounslow, London (Fr. Morcos)
Brighton and Hove
- St Mary and St Abraam Coptic Orthodox Church, Hove is currently under the supervision of Bishop Paula since he is currently the head of the Parish's Council.
Eritrean Orthodox Church congregation in the UK
- Coptic Orthodox Church in Europe
- Coptic alphabet
- Coptic calendar
- Coptic iconography
- Coptic language
- Coptic music
- Fasting and Abstinence of the Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria
- Coptic Orphans
- Pope Shenouda III of Alexandria
- Oriental Orthodoxy
- British Orthodox Church
- Christianity in Africa
- Coptic Orthodox Church in Wales
- St Mary’s and St Abu Saifain’s Coptic Orthodox Church Risca, South Wales.
- St Mary and St Abraam Coptic Orthodox Church, Hove, South England.
- Diocese of the Midlands
- Metropolitan Seraphim of Glastonbury
- Bishop Missael
- Bishop Angaelos
- British Orthodox Church website
- St Mark Coptic Orthodox Church, London website
- Coptic Orthodox Diocese of Midlands, U.K.
- Coptic Orthodox Centre Stevenage
- Coptic Orthodox Diocese of Ireland, Scotland and North East England website
- St Peter and St Paul's Coptic Orthodox Church, Bournemouth website
- St. Mary and St. Shenouda Coptic Orthodox Church
- St. Mary and St. Abanoub Coptic Orthodox Church, North and West Yorkshire