Corel PaintShop Pro Photo X2 in Windows Vista
|Stable release||X7 (188.8.131.52) / August 27, 2014|
|Type||Raster graphics editor, vector graphics editor|
PaintShop Pro (PSP) is a raster and vector graphics editor for Microsoft Windows. It was originally published by Jasc Software. In October 2004, Corel purchased Jasc Software and the distribution rights to Paint Shop Pro. PSP functionality can be extended by Photoshop-compatible plugins.
Although often written as Paint Shop Pro, Corel's website shows the name for the product as PaintShop Pro. The X-numbered editions have been sold in two versions: PaintShop Pro, which is the basic editing program, and PaintShop Pro Ultimate, which bundles in other standalone programs. The particular bundled programs have varied with each numbered version and have not been sold by Corel as separate products.
- 1 History
- 2 Picture tubes
- 3 Other related versions and products
- 4 License management software
- 5 Criticism of pricing policy
- 6 See also
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Originally called simply Paint Shop, the first version, 1.0, was a basic picture converter between BMP, GIF and PCX formats, released in August 1990. Paint Shop was originally distributed as shareware and is still available at many download sites (4.12 being a popular version). Most newer versions are only commercially available although some have been distributed in the United Kingdom in computer magazine CDs after they became obsolete.
Picture tubes are graphic images with no background. They are often used as a starting point for complex images; that is, they are combined with other image elements to produce a final work. Tubes can also be regarded as graphic brushes based on a pre-created image; this was their original use. Instead of leaving a trace of color on the canvas, they would leave a trail of images. Popular tube subjects include alphabets, human (also known as dollz), animal and toy figures, flowers, love messages and seasonal symbols.
The tube system originated with PSP Pro version 5. Native tube files may be in .tub, .psp, .pspimage, and .psptube formats. XnView, IrfanView, and TubeEx are separate graphics programs that can open tube files (.tub) and save them as .png files for use in other programs.
Paint Shop Pro Personal
Paint Shop Photo Album
It is a simplified version of Paint Shop Pro designed to enhance, organize, and share digital photos.
Corel version was released as version 5.
Corel Paint Shop Pro Album Personal
Corel Photo Album
It is the successor of Jasc Paint Shop Photo Album. First release was version 6.
Corel PaintShop Photo Express
It is the successor of Corel Photo Album. First release was PaintShop Photo Express 2010.
Paint Shop Pro Photo Studio
It is a site launched as part of Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 launch celebration.
License management software
Versions XI, X2, X3 and X4 install a third party program named PSIService.exe, a Windows service called ProtexisLicensing. Written by Protexis, this runs in the background and collects licensing information. This program communicates with a remote host. Manually disabling the Protexis Licensing service may cause Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo to cease functioning.
Criticism of pricing policy
There have been criticisms of Corel's pricing policy that pitches international versions at higher prices than those charged in the US.
- "See "Paint Shop v1.0 - for Windows 3.0"". Cd.textfiles.com. Retrieved 2011-09-13.
- "Corel to close Eden Prairie office". Startribune.com. 2007-11-29. Retrieved 2011-09-13.
- Michael Bednarek (2011-08-27). "Discussion of introduction of tubes to JASC Paint Shop Pro 5". Irt.org. Retrieved 2011-09-13.
- "Discussion of Paint Shop Pro Picture Tubes, tutorials and tips". Graphicssoft.about.com. 2011-08-30. Retrieved 2011-09-13.
- ソースネクスト、コーレルと販売提携 「Paint Shop™Pro®パーソナル」を1,980円で発売
- あの人気グラフィックソフトが1,980円で登場 Paint Shop(TM)Pro(R)パーソナル
- あのデジタル写真活用ソフトが1,980円で登場 Corel(R) Paint Shop Pro(TM) Album パーソナル
- Burley, Ian (2007-09-22). "Features - Critical Focus: Software pricing - it's an international rip-off - Digital Photography Now". Dpnow.com. Retrieved 2011-09-13.
- P&A., Inc. Jasc Paint Shop Pro pages: 5J, 6J, 7J, 7J (7.02), 7J 10th Anniversary Edition, 8, 8 DX, Power Suite Photo Edition, 9, Studio
- Corel PaintShop Pro Product Information Kits: X6 (Ultimate)
Paint Shop Photo Album
pid=prod3430215&cid=catalog20038&segid=219&storeKey=us&languageCode=en 7 Deluxe]
- Sourcenext pages: Corel Paint Shop Pro Album Personal
PaintShop Photo Express
- Corel PaintShop Photo Express pages: 2010
Paint Shop Xtras
- Jasc pages: Paint Shop Creations -- Demystifying Digital Photography
- Corel pages: Creative Edition 1, Creative Edition 2, Photo Album Templates, Scrapbooking Edition
- P&A., Inc. Jasc Paint Shop Xtras pages: Creative Edition 1, Creative Edition 2, Paint Shop Creation