||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013)|
|Born||Corey Gregg Weinberg
August 3, 1955
Granada Hills, Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Other names||Cory Burton, Corey Weinman|
|Known for||Brainiac (voice), Captain Hook (voice), Shockwave (voice), Hugo Strange (voice)|
Outstanding Individual Achievement for Voice Acting by a Male Performer in an Animated Television Production
2003 for House of Mouse
Corey Burton (born Corey Gregg Weinberg; August 3, 1955) is an American voice actor, perhaps best known as the current voice of Captain Hook for numerous Disney projects, Brainiac in the DC animated universe, several central characters (Count Dooku, Cad Bane and Ziro the Hutt) for numerous Star Wars projects, and Spike Witwicky and Shockwave in the Transformers universe. He has worked on numerous cartoon series for major networks such as Cartoon Network and has worked extensively with The Walt Disney Company and Disney theme parks.
Corey Burton began his career at age 17 under the name of Corey Weinman with an imitation performance of voice actor Hans Conried for Disney. He studied radio acting with Daws Butler (Time for Beany, Merrie Melodies, Yogi Bear) for four years and went on to work with nearly all of the original Hollywood radio actors in classic-style radio dramas.
Burton has done extensive voice work for Disney including feature animations and interactive sections of the company, as well as many attractions at the Disneyland Resort, Walt Disney World Resort and Tokyo Disney Resort. He provides the "Feature Presentation" voice on numerous Disney home video releases and can be heard as the tram narration voice at Disneyland Park. He provided the voice of Captain Hook in Disney's Return to Never Land and overdubbed the voice of Deems Taylor, the Master of Ceremonies in Fantasia, for the film's 2000 and 2010 video and DVD releases, as some of Taylor's original soundtracks had been lost.
Burton has voiced sound-alikes and original characters for over 50 Disney Storyteller records. His roles include:
- Additional voices in Dinosaur (Activity Center CD Rom)
- Ludwig Von Drake in DuckTales, Raw Toonage, Bonkers, Quack Pack, Mickey Mouse Works, Disney's House of Mouse and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.
- Dale in Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers.
- Mad Hatter in Bonkers and Disney's House of Mouse.
- Gruffi Gummi and Toadwart in Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears (following the death of Bill Scott).
- Sigmund Brock in American Dragon: Jake Long.
- Zeus in Hercules: The Animated Series.
- Quint and Speedy the Snail in The Lion King's Timon & Pumbaa.
- Gaëtan "Mole" Molière in Atlantis: The Lost Empire and Atlantis: Milo's Return.
- Onus in Treasure Planet.
- Captain Hook in Disney's Villains' Revenge, Disney's House of Mouse, Return to Never Land and Jake and the Never Land Pirates.
- Captain Hook, Dale and Yen Sid in the Kingdom Hearts series.
- The Narrator in Goofy appearances (1992–present).
- The opening Radio Voice in Kiki's Delivery Service (Walt Disney Studios dub).
- Professor Owl in Disney Sing Along Songs and the House of Mouse series.
- King Stefan in Disney Princess Enchanted Tales: Follow Your Dreams.
- Mr. Smee in Disney's Villains' Revenge.
- The White Rabbit in Disney's Villains' Revenge and Disney's House of Mouse.
- The Ringmaster from Dumbo in Disney's Villains' Revenge.
- Mr. Harvey Fenner in The Princess and the Frog.
- Buzz Lightyear and other additional voices in the Disney On Ice adaptation of Toy Story 3.
- Yen Sid and Captain Hook (the latter through vocal effects) in Epic Mickey.
- Doc Hudson in the Cars media and Radiator Springs Racers (replacing Paul Newman).
- General Knowledge from the former Cranium Command attraction at Epcot.
Burton is perhaps best known to Disney fans for his imitation of the late voice actor Paul Frees as the Ghost Host in Disneyland's Haunted Mansion Holiday attraction. Burton also recited the classic line "Welcome, foolish mortals" in the opening of the film version of The Haunted Mansion.
Burton provides many others Paul Frees-like voices for Disneyland Park, including several newer pirates in the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction (like the "Pooped Pirate" and the pirate voice that guides you on and off the boat), Grumpy on the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train attraction, and almost every voice in Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.
Burton performed another Frees imitation for comedian Stan Freberg's album Stan Freberg Presents the United States of America, Volume Two. He also impersonated Frees as the voice of the alien foreheads in Larry Blamire's period science fiction spoof Trail of the Screaming Forehead.
Burton performed a Frees imitation as the voice of the announcer in the 1999 film Dudley Do-Right.
In the 60th anniversary edition and the 2010 special edition of Disney's Fantasia, Corey Burton voiced all of Deems Taylor's voice-over work. The original audio elements for Deems Taylor's commentaries were getting deteriorated that they couldn't use them anymore. Disney decided to have Corey Burton re-record all of Deems Taylor's commentaries for consistency.
Burton appeared as Shockwave, Sunstreaker, Brawn and Spike Witwicky in the 1984-87 Transformers cartoon series by Sunbow Productions & Marvel Productions. He later appeared as Megatron, Ratchet, Ironhide, Brawn, Cyrus "The Colossus" Rhodes, Spike Witwicky and Longarm Prime/Shockwave in the Transformers Animated series by Cartoon Network.
Burton stated in an interview that Shockwave was by far his favorite character to perform in the original show. However, he turned down the offer to reprise the role in Transformers: Dark of the Moon, so the part was given to Frank Welker, the voice of Soundwave.
Burton is also known to fans as the audio double for Christopher Lee:
Burton has portrayed Brainiac in the DC animated universe. He appeared as Brainiac in eight episodes of Superman: The Animated Series, two episodes of Justice League, two episodes of Static Shock and five episodes of Justice League Unlimited. Although not set within the DCAU, he also voiced Brainiac in three episodes of Legion of Super Heroes and reprises his role in the online game DC Universe Online.
Other television highlights
- The Scarecrow, The Russian and Marshall in Batman: Gotham Knight.
- V.V. Argost and Van Rook in The Secret Saturdays.
- James Bond, Jr. in the animated series of the same name.
- The Pupununu in Tak and the Power of Juju
- Invisibo in Freakazoid.
- Old Queeks in Mike, Lu and Og .
- Captain Marvel in Superman/Batman: Public Enemies.
- Red Tornado, Silver Cyclone, Doctor Mid-Nite, Doc Magnus, Mercury and Thomas Wayne in Batman: The Brave and the Bold.
- Ziro the Hutt in the 2008 Star Wars: The Clone Wars film and Cad Bane in the television series.
- Tomax in G.I. Joe.
- Goon, Kanawk and Tauron in Robotix
- Law in G.I. Joe: Renegades.
- Brain, Dudley H. Dudley, Hamilton Hill, James Gordon, Wizard in Young Justice.
- Mookie in Baby Felix & Friends.
- Burglar in The Powerpuff Girls episode "Burglar Alarmed".
- Dash Whippet and additional voices for Pound Puppies starting in season 2.
- Brainstorm, Malware and Mr. Baumann in Ben 10: Omniverse.
- Dracula in Avengers Assemble and Ultimate Spider-Man.
- Ranger Smith in the Spümcø animated special, Boo Boo Runs Wild.
- Burton played Starlab Controller Jerry Lyden in the syndicated radio drama series Alien Worlds (radio).
- Burton has done work for the Universal Studios - Islands of Adventure theme park in Orlando, Florida in addition to the Universal Studios Japan theme park.
- Burton does voice-overs for many commercials and promos; for instance, Burton's voice is featured in some Old Navy commercials, a role he inherited after the death of Bill Wendell. He recently provided his voice for the Final Fantasy XII TV promo.
- In the WWE, Burton provided voice overs for the WrestleMania XXV Recap segments.
- Almost all character roles in the 1980 Cult Classic Closet Cases of the Nerd Kind.
- In the Critters film series, he provided the voices for the Crites, but he was only credited for the first one, and he also developed their language (as revealed on his website).
- The narwhal in the live-action film Elf.
- The narrator for the video game Brütal Legend.
- Tromell Guado and Maester Kelk Ronso in the PlayStation 2 video game Final Fantasy X.
- Volteer the Electric Guardian Dragon, Exhumor and Mason in The Legend of Spyro Trilogy.
- Zeus in the video game God of War II for the PlayStation 2, and God of War III for the PlayStation 3.
- Cheester in Reader Rabbit Math Adventures Ages 6–9.
- The Footman, Bricabrac, Goggles, the Fluffy Show Announcer and the WACME Quiz Master in the 1996 adventure game Toonstruck.
- Numerous supporting roles on Focus on the Family's radio drama Adventures in Odyssey, voicing over 90 characters, most notably Jesus Christ, Walter Shakespeare, Cryin' Bryan Dern, and The Great Wishy Woz.
- Doctor N. Gin and Dr. Nefarious Tropy in the Gamecube and PlayStation video game Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex.
- Jack the animated pumpkin that narrates the haunted attraction The House at Haunted Hill.
- Narrator of The A-Team.
- Hugo Strange in the videogame Batman: Arkham City.
- John Grey (Jean Grey's father) for two episodes of Wolverine and the X-Men.
- Sylvester McMonkey McBean and the Sneetches in Storybook Weaver.
- Sylvester McMonkey McBean and the Sneetches in Storybook Weaver Deluxe.
- Provided voice samples for a some songs, most famously in DJ Hazard's drum and bass track entitled 'Machete', he is also working with Australian producer Shockone to provide voice samples for his new album named 'Universus'
- Game Narrator for Disney Coaster
- Announcer for the El Rey network launched by Robert Rodriguez.
- The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius - additional voices
- Gravity Falls - Lawyer (in the episode "Little Dipper")
- Johnny Test - Chicken (2005-2007), Uncle Waldo P. Wigglesworth (2011-2014)
- Detention - Additional voices
- Poochini's Yard - Additional voices
- Phineas and Ferb - Farmer, additional voices
- Ben 10: Omniverse - Malware/Brainstorm, V.V. Argost (in the Secret Saturdays crossover "T.G.I.S.")
- Timon & Pumbaa (TV series) - Quint
|1980||Closet Cases of the Nerd Kind||Narrator
|1982||Water Engine||Mag-Lev Man
|The Sword and the Sorcerer||Additional Voices|
|1983||Good-bye, Cruel World||Voice-Overs|
|Transformers: The Movie||Shockwave, Spike Witwicky, Brawn|
|Poltergeist II: The Other Side||Reverend Henry Kane (Voice) (uncredited)|
|1987||G.I. Joe: The Movie||Tomax|
|Amazon Women on the Moon||Anchorman (segment: "Murray in Videoland")
TV Announcer (segment: "Amazon Women on the Moon")
Announcer (segment: "Silly Pete")
|1988||Poltergeist III||Reverend Henry Kane (Voice) (uncredited)|
|Invasion Earth: The Aliens Are Here||Alien Voice|
|1989||Stanley and the Dinosaurs||Stanley|
|Kiki's Delivery Service||Radio Announcer|
|1990||Roller Coaster Rabbit||Droopy Dog|
|1991||Uncle Elephant||Additional Voices|
|1992||Boris and Natasha: The Movie||Narrator|
|Porco Rosso||Additional Voices|
|1994||King of the 'B's||Additional Voices|
|1995||A Goofy Movie||Wendell
|Whisper of the Heart||Additional Voices|
|1996||The Hunchback of Notre Dame||Brutish Guard
|Aladdin and the King of Thieves||Additional Voices|
Tour Bus Guide
|Princess Mononoke||Additional Voices|
|Hercules: Zero to Hero||Zeus|
|1999||Dudley Do-Right||Voice of the Announcer|
|Toy Story 2||Woody's Roundup Announcer|
|Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas||Dale|
|Gen 13||Additional Voices|
|2001||The Trumpet of the Swan||Senator|
|Atlantis: The Lost Empire||Gaetan "The Mole" Molière|
|2002||Return to Never Land||Captain Hook|
|Cinderella II: Dreams Come True||Gus|
|2003||101 Dalmatians II: Patch's London Adventure||Additional Voices|
|Atlantis: Milo's Return||Gaetan "The Mole" Molière|
|Stitch! The Movie||Additional Voices|
|2004||The Lion King 1½||Grumpy
|Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas||Elf #4|
|2005||Tom and Jerry: Blast Off to Mars||Martian Scientist
Eyes at Gate
|2006||Asterix and the Vikings||Doublehelix|
|2007||Cinderella III: A Twist in Time||Gus|
|The School Fanfarre||Bo|
|Disney Princess Enchanted Tales: Follow Your Dreams||King Stefan|
|How to Hook Up Your Home Theater||Narrator|
|2008||Justice League: The New Frontier||Abin Sur|
|Starship Troopers 3: Marauder||Official Voice|
|Star Wars: The Clone Wars||General Loathsom
Ziro the Hutt
|2010||Freaknik: The Musical||Newscaster
Dukes of Hazzard Announcer
|2012||Partysaurus Rex||Captain Suds|
|Hotel Transylvania||Additional Voices|
- Mr. Toad's Wild Ride - Additional voices
- Cranium Command - General Knowledge
- Journey into YOUR Imagination - Figment
- Haunted Mansion Holiday - Ghost Host
- Radiator Springs Racers - Doc Hudson
- "Disneyland voice credits at burnsland.com".
- "Credits for Stan Freberg Presents the United States of America, Volume Two".
- "seibertron.com Interview with Cory Burton".
- Krome Studios (October 6, 2009). "Star Wars: The Clone Wars – Republic Heroes". LucasArts. Scene: Closing credits, 2:30 in, Voice Talent.
- Official website
- Corey Burton at the Internet Movie Database
- Corey Burton at AllMovie
- Corey Burton @ BehindTheVoiceActors
- Seibertron.com Interview with Cory Burton