C.M. (Corien) Wortmann-Kool (born 27 June 1959 in Oud-Alblas) is a Dutch politician for the Christian Democratic Appeal (Christen-Democratisch Appèl). She has a background in politics, public administration and business. She is a Member of the European Parliament and Vice President on Economic and Financial Affairs of the European People’s Party (EPP) Group. Wortmann-Kool has a MA in Political Science and Economics from VU University Amsterdam.
In 2004 Wortmann-Kool has become a Member of the European Parliament for the EPPGroup, of which the Dutch Christen Democratisch Appel (CDA) is a part. In 2009 she has become the Vice-President of the EPP Group on Economy, Finance and Environment. The EPP is the largest political group in the European Parliament. Wortmann-Kool played a crucial role as negotiator on behalf of the European Parliament on the Stability and Growth Pact legislation, the so-called “6pack” for European economic governance, that came into force in the end of 2011. A large part of her work focusses on increasing the stability of the financial sector. Wortmann-Kool is closely involved in legislation for banks, insurers, pension funds, hedge funds, financial markets and the European supervisors. She represents the EPP Group at the informal meetings of EPP-ministers of Finance, in preparation for the Economic and Financial Affairs (ECOFIN) Council meetings.
In the European Parliament, Wortmann-Kool is a Member of the Economic and Monetary Affairs Committee (ECON, the Transport and Tourism Committee (TRAN) and the Committee for Women's Rights and Gender Equality (FEMM). Furthermore, she is a member of the parliamentary delegation for the United States and the parliamentary delegation for the Caucasus. Until 2009, Wortmann-Kool was the Vice-Chair of the Committee for International Trade and rapporteur for trade relations between the EU and China.
In addition, Wortmann-Kool has been Vice-President of the European People’s Party since 2007. In this capacity, she participates in the Monthly EPP summits of Heads of State and Government. She is also Chairwomen of the EPP Working Group on enlargement (relations with centre-right parties from non-EU countries from Eastern-Europe, Balkan and Caucasus; accession of new member parties EU and non-EU).
From 1996 onwards, Wortmann-Kool worked at the Dutch Ministry of Transport, Public Works and Water Management where she served as senior policy advisor and project leader on projects related to the governance of the Public Sector. From 2001 she served as deputy and acting Director for Transport and Infrastructure. Prior to this she was Member of the Executive Board of a retail company.
Wortmann-Kool started her political career in the board of the youth organization of the CDA. From 1987 until 1994, she was a member of the executive board of the CDA party. During the municipal elections of 1994 she was elected as council member of the municipal council in her town of residence, Zeist. In 1995 she became Chairmen of the CDA delegation in the municipal council, from which she retired in 1999.
Wortmann-Kool holds several Board Memberships. Most recently, she has been a Member of the Jury of the Business Women of the Year Prixe (Prix Veuve Clicquot) since 2006 and a Member of the Supervisory Board of Mercedes-Benz Netherlands since 2011.
Corien Wortmann-Kool is married and has a son and a daughter. She lives in Zeist, the Netherlands.
- Higher Vocational diploma in health care/nursing (1976–1981)
- Higher degree in political science, Free University of Amsterdam (1981–1987)
- Member of the management team in a retail company (1987–1996)
- Coordinator/senior adviser at the Ministry of Transport, Public Works and Water Management (1996–2001)
- Deputy Director of Transport and Infrastructure at the Ministry of Transport, Public Works and Water Management (2001–2004)
- Member of the administrative committee of the CDA youth organisation (CDJA) (1981–1984)
- Member of the CDA administrative committee (1987–1994)
- Member of the CDA Committee on Foreign Affairs (2003–2004)
- Member of the EPP political bureau (1989–1994)
- Member of the Zeist Municipal Council for the CDA and group chairwoman (1994–1999)
- Vice-Chairwoman of the supervisory council of the 'Zon en Schild' Psychiatric Centre, Amersfoort (1990–1999)
- Chairwoman of the Parents Association, Comenius School, Zeist (1993–1997)
- (Dutch) Parlement.com biography
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Corien Wortmann-Kool|