Corliss High School
||An automated process has detected links on this page on the local or global blacklist.|
|George H. Corliss Early College STEM High School|
In Pursuit Of Excellence.
|821 E. 103rd Street
Chicago, Illinois, 60628
|School type||Public Secondary|
|School district||Chicago Public Schools|
|Athletics conference||Chicago Public League|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools|
George Henry Corliss Early STEM High School (commonly known as Corliss High School), is a public 4-year high school located in Pullman neighborhood of Chicago, Illinois, United States. It is operated by Chicago Public Schools. The school is named in the honor of an American engineer, George Henry Corliss. The school's sports teams are nicknamed the Trojans. Corliss shares its campus with Butler College Preparatory High School, part of the Noble Network of Charter Schools.
Corliss High School was founded in 1971 as a result of overcrowding at two neighborhood high schools, Harlan and Fenger. The school opened to freshman and sophomore classes, totaling 800 students, in September 1974. The following year, an additional 1,100 students enrolled. Corliss' first senior class graduation occurred in June 1977. In 2012, the school joined the Chicago Public Schools' STEM Program.
In honor of the African-American heritage, Corliss has named different facilities within the school after famous African-Americans. The school auditorium was named in honor of the composer/pianist Duke Ellington. The P.E. building was named for the baseball player Jackie Robinson. The library media center named for the Harlem Renaissance poet Arna Bontemps.
- Anthony Beale (1985) — 9th ward Alderman in the City of Chicago.
- Antwon Tanner (attended) — Actor
- Darrell Walker (1979) — former NBA guard (1983–93) and current assistant coach of the New York Knicks.
- "High School Code Search". College Board. Retrieved 2 January 2010.
- Corliss. Retrieved on 31 July 2012.
- "Chicago Public Schools: Corliss". Chicago Public Schools. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- "Chicago (Corliss)". Illinois High School Association (IHSA). 31 December 2009. Retrieved 2 January 2010.
- "Institution Summary for Corliss High School". AdvacedED profile. North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement. Retrieved 2 January 2010.
- Corliss High School to Share Building with New Charter School
- Corliss High School History. Retrieved on July 31, 2012.
- School History. Retrieved on August 11, 2013.
- IHSA Chicago (Corliss)
- "Darrell Walker". statistics and biographic information. Basketball-Reference.com. Retrieved 2 January 2010.