Cornelius Griffin in 2007.
No. 97, 96
|Date of birth:December 3, 1976|
|Place of birth: Troy, Alabama|
|High school: Brundidge (AL) Pike Co.|
|NFL Draft: 2000 / Round: 2 / Pick: 42|
|Debuted in 2000 for the New York Giants|
|Last played in 2009 for the Washington Redskins|
Career highlights and awards
Career NFL statistics
Cornelius Griffin (//; born December 3, 1976) is a former American football defensive tackle. He was drafted by the New York Giants in the second round of the 2000 NFL Draft. He played college football at Pearl River Community College and Alabama.
Griffin has also played for the Washington Redskins.
Early life and college career
Griffin was born in Troy, Alabama. His father Willie Griffin was a pastor of the Lily White Pentecostal Church in Brundidge, Alabama, and Cornelius was one of Willie and Martha Griffin's seven children. Willie died in a car accident in 1998. Thus, after graduating from Pike County High School in Brundidge, Griffin first played college football as a defensive tackle for Pearl River Community College in Mississippi. Although he committed to Auburn, Griffin decided to sign with the University of Alabama after Auburn coaches wanted him to become a tight end. In the Alabama Crimson Tide, he started 23 of 25 games in its team (including bowls). As a senior in 1999, he was part of the Super Sleeper Team and All-Southeastern Conference first team.
2000 NFL Draft
Griffin was selected in the second round of the 2000 NFL Draft by the New York Giants. "His workouts were unbelievable. We saw him as a certain first-rounder", said Giants General Manager Ernie Accorsi.
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 3⅛ in||297 lb||4.90 s||1.69 s||2.79 s||4.62 s||7.63 s||31 in||9 ft 3 in||30 reps|
|All values from NFL Combine|
New York Giants
Griffin played for four seasons with the Giants.
He was released on March 4, 2010.
After the NFL
Griffin has purchased a share of Flower's Insurance in Troy, Alabama. The name has changed to Griffin-Wilkes Insurance.
|Year||Team||Games||Combined Tackles||Tackles||Assisted Tackles||Sacks||Forced Fumbles||Fumble Recoveries|
- "Cornelius Griffin". NFL. Retrieved January 17, 2011.
- Vacchiano, Ralph (January 13, 2001). "High Tide Alabama's son and Giants rookie Cornelius Griffin overcomes his father's death to reach the NFL". New York Daily News. Retrieved January 17, 2011.
- "Cornelius Griffin". Washington Redskins. Retrieved January 17, 2011.
- Wennington, Bill (January 12, 2001), "Griffin, Sometime Spy, Is Giant Secret Weapon", New York Times.
- "Cornelius Griffin", NFLDraftScout.com, retrieved May 13, 2010.
- Redskins Sign DT Cornelius Griffin From Giants
- Redskins release Griffin
- "Cornelius Griffin Stats". ESPN Internet Ventures. Retrieved 4 June 2014.
- Washington Redskins bio at the Wayback Machine (archived November 13, 2010)
- Cornelius Griffin at Pro-Football-Reference.com