Promotional artwork for Corpse Party: Blood Covered ...Repeated Fear
|Genre||Survival horror, Adventure|
|Corpse Party BloodCovered|
|Platform||Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8|
|Corpse Party BloodCovered: ...Repeated Fear|
|Developer||Team GrisGris, 5pb.|
Universal Media Disc
|Corpse Party: Blood Covered|
|Written by||Makoto Kedōin|
|Illustrated by||Toshimi Shinomiya|
|Published by||Square Enix|
|Original run||22 August 2008 – 22 October 2012|
|Volumes||10 (47 chapters)|
|Corpse Party; Musume|
|Written by||Makoto Kedōin|
|Illustrated by||Mika Orii|
|Published by||Media Factory|
|Magazine||Monthly Comic Alive|
|Original run||27 August 2010 – 27 July 2012|
|Volumes||3 (20 chapters)|
|Corpse Party: Book of Shadows|
|Developer||Team GrisGris, 5pb.|
|Corpse Party: Another Child|
|Written by||Team GrisGris|
|Illustrated by||Shunsuke Ogata|
|Published by||Mag Garden|
|Magazine||Monthly Comic Blade|
|Original run||30 August 2011 – 28 February 2013|
|Volumes||3 (17 chapters)|
|Corpse Party: Book of Shadows|
|Written by||Makoto Kedōin|
|Illustrated by||Mika Orii|
|Published by||Media Factory|
|Magazine||Monthly Comic Alive|
|Original run||23 August 2012 – 22 March 2014|
|Volumes||3 (24 chapters)|
|Corpse Party The Anthology: Sachiko no Ren’ai Yūki ♥ Hysteric Birthday 2U|
|Developer||Team GrisGris, 5pb.|
|Original video animation|
|Corpse Party: Missing Footage|
|Directed by||Akira Iwanaga|
|Released||August 2, 2012|
|Corpse Party 2: Dead Patient|
|Original video animation|
|Corpse Party: Tortured Souls -The Curse of Tortured Souls-|
|Directed by||Akira Iwanaga|
|Released||July 24, 2013|
|Corpse Party: Blood Drive|
|Developer||Team GrisGris, 5pb.|
Corpse Party (コープスパーティー Kōpusu Pātī?) is a survival horror adventure dōjin soft video game series originally created by Makoto Kedōin and developed by Team GrisGris. The first game in the series was developed using the RPG Maker software and released in 1996 for the PC-9801. It was followed by two remakes: Corpse Party BloodCovered, which was released for Microsoft Windows on March 8, 2008; and Corpse Party BloodCovered: ...Repeated Fear, which was released for the PlayStation Portable on August 12, 2010, and iOS on February 9, 2012. The game was released in North America and Europe by Marvelous USA under the title Corpse Party. Marvelous USA will release a localized version Corpse Party BloodCovered for PC in North America in 2015. A 3DS version of the game, titled "Corpse Party Blood covered: ...Repeated fear." will be released in summer 2015, which contains new extra chapter not present in the PSP and iOS version.
The PSP game was followed by a sequel, Corpse Party: Book of Shadows, which was released for the PSP on September 1, 2011 in Japan, and on January 15, 2013 in North America. A spin-off game, Corpse Party the Anthology: Sachiko no Ren’ai Yūki ♥ Hysteric Birthday 2U (コープスパーティー -THE ANTHOLOGY- サチコの恋愛遊戯♥Hysteric Birthday 2U?, lit. "Corpse Party the Anthology: Sachiko's Game of Love ♥ Hysteric Birthday 2U"), was released on the PSP in Japan on August 2, 2012. A direct sequel of Corpse Party: Book of Shadows, called Corpse Party: Blood Drive, was released in Japan on July 24, 2014 on PlayStation Vita. XSeed Games will be releasing this to North America.
Another sequel titled Corpse Party 2: Dead Patient was created for the PC by GrindHouse, a dōjin circle founded by members affiliated with Team GrisGris. It is released episodically, with the first chapter released on May 29, 2013.
The series has spanned several manga works, OVAs, drama CDs, theme park attractions, and a live action movie.
- 1 Gameplay
- 2 Setting and plot
- 3 Characters
- 4 Corpse Party: Another Child
- 5 Corpse Party: Blood Drive
- 6 Corpse Party 2: Dead Patient
- 7 Music
- 8 Adaptations
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Corpse Party is a linear horror adventure game with some role-playing elements. It is played in a third-person view, top-down perspective. Players are tasked with exploring the haunted school grounds for a means of escape. To fulfill this task, characters must interact with the environment and surroundings such as picking up objects, talking to other characters, and inspecting documents while avoiding enemy-like entities.
The game's story is split into five chapters, each focusing on different characters and featuring multiple endings that are achieved based on the player's in-game decisions: a "True Ending" required for the game's progression; and several "Wrong Endings" that are unlocked when the player performs events irrelevant to the main storyline. Characters also possess hit points (HP), which measure how much damage they can take before dying, in some instances leading to a wrong ending. As players progress through the game, they will unlock ten optional "Extra Chapters", vignettes that focus on the game's side characters and expand the storyline.
Setting and plot
Corpse Party is set in Heavenly Host Elementary School (天神小学校 Tenjin Shōgakkō?), an elementary school that was torn down following the murders and disappearances of several of its staff and students. In modern day, a high school called Kisaragi Academy (如月学園 Kisaragi Gakuen?) has been built over the elementary school site. One rainy night, after celebrating their school's culture festival, a group of students are telling ghost stories when their class representative decides to perform a charm called "Sachiko Ever After", which would allow them to remain friends for eternity. A sudden earthquake transports them to an alternate dimension where Heavenly Host still exists and is haunted by the ghosts of the school's murdered children. The students try to figure out the truth and mystery of the cursed school, in order to find their way home and try to survive the other shadowy forces that haunt the school, but unfortunately some don't make it, causing them to have a gruesome death.
The main character is Satoshi Mochida, a timid yet kindhearted high school student who is teased by his classmates for his cowardly nature. Three of the other characters are students from Satoshi's class: Naomi Nakashima, Satoshi's childhood friend; Yoshiki Kishinuma, an intimidating yet good-natured student; and Ayumi Shinozaki, the class representative. Rounding out the group is Yuka Mochida, Satoshi's younger sister. The game's antagonist is Sachiko Shinozaki, the red ghost of a young girl who kills the students in Heavenly Host in anger over her own death.
The Blood Covered remake introduces four protagonists into the original cast: Seiko Shinohara, Naomi's best friend; Mayu Suzumoto, a popular student due to transfer out of Kisaragi; Sakutaro Morishige, Mayu's best friend; and Yui Shishido, the class's assistant homeroom teacher. Blood Covered also introduces several characters from other schools who are also trapped inside Heavenly Host and affect the story, include Yuuya Kizami, a sadistic student from Byakudan Senior High School (白壇高等学校 Byakudan Kōtōgakkō?) who accompanies Yuka as she is separated from her brother; Naho Saenoki, a paranormalist from Paulownia Academy (桐章学園 Kirishō Gakuen?) who designed the Sachiko Ever After charm and investigates Heavenly Host, and repeatedly encounters the player character to guide them.
- Satoshi Mochida (持田 哲志 Mochida Satoshi?)
- Voiced by: Hiro Shimono
- Satoshi is the male protagonist of the series. He is a kindhearted high school student who is teased by his classmates for his bit of cowardly nature, but Satoshi somehow finds the courage inside himself to push forward for the sake and safety of those important to him. Though he is an intelligent man, he is completely oblivious to the multiple amount of girls who are in love with him. He is in love with Naomi.
- In a "what if" scenario, where Sachiko sends the Kisaragi students back in time, erasing their memories except for Satoshi, he tries to prevent his classmates from performing the ritual, but failed, he joins them anyway since he doesn't want to let them go alone; which lead to the alternative events in Corpse Party: Book of Shadows.
- In Corpse Party: Blood Drive, he, Kuon, and Naomi return to Heavenly Host to find Ayumi and Yoshiki. At the end, him, Naomi, and Yuka forget about the existence of Ayumi and Yoshiki. Their current lives are unknown.
- Ayumi Shinozaki (篠崎 あゆみ Shinozaki Ayumi?)
- Voiced by: Asami Imai
- Ayumi is the primary protagonist of the series. She the class 2-9 representative that enjoys telling ghost stories, and she the one who performed the "Sachiko Ever After" charm, believing it would allow everyone to remain friends. Through her creepy nature, she is merely a frightened girl with hyperventilation, insecurities, and strong spiritual essence. She can be brave, however, as demonstrated when she returned to Heavenly Host to rescue the survivors, despite the possible consequences. She has a crush on Satoshi. Later she might have developed feelings toward Yoshiki. She was a fan of Naho Saenoki and her blog until the recent events in Heavenly Host. Ayumi has an older sister, Hinoe Shinozaki (篠崎 ひのえ Shinozaki Hinoe?), who is a gentle medium that sacrifices herself to save her in Corpse Party: Book Of Shadows when Ayumi tried to reincarnate Mayu.
- The Shinozaki Family Tree chart indicates that Ayumi is part of the same lineage as Sachiko's family. In Corpse Party: Book of Shadows, it is revealed the Shinozaki estate are made up of female individuals with gifted black magic from famous clairvoyants, since the Meiji era. Ayumi is Sachiko's distant cousin due to the fact that Ayumi's father is the first male heir of the Shinozaki bloodline.
- In Corpse Party: Blood Drive, she begins to obsess over reviving her dead friends, and goes back to Heavenly Host to achieve her goal. Sachiko's spirit attached to Ayumi guiding her to realize that the Book of Shadows was inside her all along, and so becomes its new master. Unfortunately at the end, her existence, along with Yoshiki's is erased in order to bring back the memories of her dead friends, and her homeroom teacher. It was revealed that she had known of Yoshiki's feelings for her for a while, and slightly returns them.
- In Corpse Party 2: Dead Patient, Ayumi is only seen with a young man (possibly Yoshiki).
- Yoshiki Kishinuma (岸沼 良樹 Kishinuma Yoshiki?)
- Voiced by: Yuichi Nakamura
- A delinquent student with a good nature though most people don't like his disrespect. Yoshiki is disowned by his parents (primarily his father), and lives alone in an apartment but is visited by his younger sister, Miki, who offers sympathy with his situation. He considered getting himself expelled from Kisaragi Academy, since he couldn't find a reason to continue attending. However, Ayumi's intervention during Yoshiki's argument with his gym teacher changed his mind, and he falls in love with her, finding her to be the only one who understands him. Yoshiki protects Ayumi to the best of his ability even sacrificing himself for her.
- In Corpse Party: Book of Shadows, Yoshiki and Mayu accompany Nana, while searching for Ayumi. They later find her in the reference room, possessed, and erratic. Yoshiki hugs her which brings her back to normal although she becomes embarrassed with him doing so.
- In Corpse Party: Blood Drive, he follows Ayumi into Heavenly Host, and when she is taking in the Nirvana, and everyone is escaping, he goes back into Heavenly Host to make sure she gets out okay. By doing this his existence is erased with Ayumi, and at the end, Yoshiki finds Ayumi, and begins to take care of her even though she is basically brain dead (due to inhaling the Nehan).
- Naomi Nakashima (中嶋 直美 Nakashima Naomi?)
- Voiced by: Rina Satō
- Naomi is generally a bright and cheerful, if stubborn, Satoshi's childhood friend. She has harbored feelings for Satoshi ever since they met the first year of junior high. Her best friend, Seiko Shinohara, frequently teases Naomi about this. Naomi is oblivious to Seiko's feelings towards her (even though it is quite obvious). During the events at Heavenly Host, she often lets her emotions control her actions. Naomi encounters a deadly spirit in the infirmary (the ghost of Yoshie Shinozaki), and barely escaped. Naomi starts a fight with Seiko, causing Seiko to run away. Naomi is then possessed by the "darkening", and when she wakes up, she finds Seiko hanging herself in the girl's bathroom. She tries to save her, but to no avail. Naomi is then possessed again, and tries to hang herself, but is saved by Satoshi. When Naomi watched a tape filmed by Shougo showing footage of her murdering Seiko, she succumbs to the "darkening" until a forgiven message from Seiko's spirit breaks her free. Satoshi uses a comforting manner, when Naomi is depress of the forgotten existences of their dead friends.
- In Corpse Party: Book of Shadows, the same events occur, but Naomi is able to save Seiko from hanging herself, but Seiko is scared of Naomi (who is unaware that she was the one who hanged Seiko in the first place), and runs away from her. Naomi then finds the body of Seiko who was beheaded by a string of piano wire.
- In Corpse Party: Blood Drive, Naomi, notices writing on Seiko's blackened face reading "Sachi", and goes blind in her cursed left eye. She later uses this eye to identify Sachi when she enters Heavenly Host with Satoshi.
- Yuka Mochida (持田 由香 Mochida Yuka?)
- Voiced by: Eri Kitamura
- Satoshi's younger sister. Yuka acts in a much younger manner than her age due to her being more pampered by her parents than her brother. Yuka experiences throughout Heavenly Host force her to act more on her own decisions, and not to rely on her brother like she used to. It is revealed in an alternate end (in which she dies in Satoshi's arms), that she has more than sisterly love for her brother. During the events at Heavenly Host, she loses Satoshi, and in her quest to find him, meets Yuuya Kizami, who promises to help her find her brother as long as she helps him find his sister. Though she later finds out he's insane, and wants her to be his little sister which prompts a chase between them. Yuka loses him however, and reunites with her brother.
- In Corpse Party: Blood Drive, Yuka and Satsuki were summon to Heavenly Host again by Misuto, but he soon turns against them. Leaving Satsuki in agony, and traps Yuka in the basement where she gets possessed by Sachi until her brother and friends save her.
- Seiko Shinohara (篠原 世以子 Shinohara Seiko?)
- Voiced by: Satomi Arai
- Naomi's cheerful best friend. Seiko is an extremely energetic and forgiving girl, who is caretaker to her younger siblings (Yuu, Kei, and Aya). She keeps her feelings for Naomi a secret, understanding and even supporting her feelings for Satoshi. She gets hanged by a possessed Naomi in a Girls' Bathroom.
- In the events of Corpse Party: Blood Drive, she is discovered by Ayumi, and cannot be seen due to her low spiritual qualities. She tells Ayumi to tell Naomi that she is alright even though it is quite oblivious she is not, but doesn't want Naomi to worry about her, and still deeply cares about her even in death.
- Sakutaro Morishige (森繁 朔太郎 Morishige Sakutarō?)
- Voiced by: Tetsuya Kakihara
- A introverted student, and a member of Kisaragi's theater club. He puts up a stiff front, and isn't very good at social interaction. He is best friends with Mayu and deeply cares for her, the one friend who would cheer him up when he is down. This is evident in that she is the only person who gives him a nickname "Shige-nii." Sakutaro finds comfort in viewing decaying corpses; when he can't find Mayu, he begins to prefer the dead to the living. He commits suicide when Mayu's spirit confessing through his cellphone telling him to stop viewing her corpse traumatizes him. A cellphone video of his death is left behind for Satoshi, and Naomi to find, who are left horrified by what happened.
- In Corpse Party: Book Of Shadows, Sakutaro tags along with Mitsuki, Masato, and Emi for a short time. Even Nana's two friends, Nari and Chihaya, while searching for Mayu.
- In Corpse Party: Blood Drive, he is a malicious spirit, forever taking pictures of dead corpses, and finding pleasure in doing so. It is revealed during an extra chapter, that he believes Mayu would never forgive him for viewing her corpse, and commits suicide after Yuuya Kizami convinces him that his beliefs are true. Unbeknownst to Sakutaro, the spirit of Mayu protests this, but he cannot hear her, and she ends up watching him stab himself with his own knife, and confesses his love for her in his last breath.
- Mayu Suzumoto (鈴本 繭 Suzumoto Mayu?)
- Voiced by: Yuka Nanri
- A popular student due to transfer out of Kisaragi, and a member of the theater club. Thanks to her energetic nature, Mayu has a great heart and has earned the nickname "Suzume". Being nice towards all has also earned her popularity with a lot of boys. She and Sakutaro are seen as a sister and brother relationship, though it could be assumed that Mayu has deeper feelings for him. The children spirits scattered her body at impact against a wall near the infirmary which was witnessed by Yoshiki and Ayumi. Earlier in the game, Naomi and Seiko find her former self on the wall, and Seiko proceeds the accidentally stepping on her (or rather her intestines).
- In Corpse Party: Book of Shadows, while trying to escape her horrible fate, Mayu finds her self locked in the infirmary with Sachiko, and the three ghosts who proceed to "dissect" her, and hangs her corpse on the wall, and during those last moments, Mayu confesses her love for Sakutaro.
- In Corpse Party: Blood Drive, she is a vengeful spirit, and attacks Ayumi when she is trapped in Heavenly Host.
- Ms. Yui Shishido (宍戸 結衣 Shishido Yui?)
- Voiced by: Miyuki Sawashiro
- The class assistant homeroom teacher that just started her career. Even though she is enthusiastic, she believed that she is a bad teacher, until throughout the events in Heavenly Host, Yui proves to be a brave and determined individual that deeply cares for her students, even more than herself. She sacrifice herself to save Ayumi from a trapdoor, and having her body crushed. In her last moments, she is proud of herself for becoming more of the teacher she wanted to become. In the BloodCovered manga, Yui stays behind to allow the surviving students to escape, prompting her death.
- In Corpse Party: Book of Shadows, Yui dreams of her days as a student at Kisaragi with her boyfriend Tsukasa Mikuni (御国 司 Mikuni Tsukasa?), where she once encounters Makina Shinozaki who warns Yui of her impending fate with Yoshie Shinozaki.
- Naho Saenoki (冴之木 七星 Saenoki Naho?)
- Voiced by: Ayano Yamamoto
- A wise ghost paranormalist from Paulownia Academy, who investigates Heavenly Host, and repeatedly encounters many people that are trapped within the cursed school to guide them. Naho adores Kou Kibiki, while seen as a mentor and assistant relationship; she would see them as lovers. When Naho explored the Shinozaki estate and researched their black magic inheritance, she uncover the method on the "Sachiko Ever After" charm, however, she had tainted by Sachiko where things haven't been the same to her. Using the charm to discover Heavenly Host, Kou left Naho behind since Kou was concerned for her safety yet she followed him.
- Before Naho arrived in Heavenly Host to find Kou, along with her best friend, Sayaka, she submitted a final update on her blog regarding the charm, but deliberately posted the wrong procedures, meaning Naho is responsible for the victims lured into the school, which caused the curse to spread nationwide. It is revealed, under Sachiko's influence, that Naho is willing to sacrifice anything for Kou, but she couldn't recall that she killed Kou in a Custodian's Closet when she had succumbed to the "darkening" in her final moments as a human being. Ayumi later confronts Naho about this shocking revelation which made her spirit fade away. In the BloodCovered manga, Sachiko used Naho's power to increase her own. Attempting to exorcise Sachiko, the Kisaragi students and Kou's spirit reconcile with Naho.
- Yuki Kanno (管乃 雪 Kanno Yuki?)
- Voiced by: Hiromi Igarashi
- One of the three children spirits who roams Heavenly Host. After being appeased (her tongue is returned to her), Yuki became a loyal friend of Ayumi and Yoshiki, at first letting them return home and then helping the two to appease Sachiko in order to bring the others back. At the end, she becomes the "new Sachiko" once Sachiko is appeased.
- Yuuya Kizami (刻命 裕也 Kizami Yūya?)
- Voiced by: Tomokazu Sugita
- A student from Byakudan Senior High School, who accompanies Yuka when she was separated from Satoshi. He initially seemed like a philosophical and strong ally. Most of his hapless peers had regarded him as a good friend. However, deep down, Yuuya has a morbid manner, with a sadistic nature. Due to his lack of understanding of morality during childhood, he harbors hatred towards his older siblings. Consequently, many students at Byakudan were oblivious to his real personality. Yuuya soon tried to take Yuka as his own sister by force, despite her attempt to be his friend. Though it's uncertain he may have felt remorse which came from his interactions with Yuka in the Science Room. He is killed by Yoshikazu and reanimated into a anatomical model. Yuuya was apparently responsible for killing many of his classmates:
- Kensuke Kurosaki (黒崎 健介 Kurosaki Kensuke?) is a classmate and childhood friend of Yuuya. Kensuke often gets bossed around by Mitsuki whom he finds interest in. He is known as the class's moodmaker and is also a member of the basketball club. He briefly accompanies Yuka Mochida. He is voiced by Tsubasa Yonaga.
- Mitsuki Yamamoto (山本 美月 Yamamoto Mitsuki?) is a classmate of Yuuya and Kensuke and the secretary of Byakudan's student council. She has a strong-mind, and a somewhat naïve personality. Mitsuki is nicknamed "Hell Mitsuki" by the first-years due to her merciless attitude against men. She ran into the Mochida siblings but flees. She is voiced by Haruka Tomatsu.
- Tohko Kirisaki (霧崎 凍孤 Kirisaki Tōko?) is a classmate of Mitsuki's and loves fortune-telling, a passion she shares with her best friends Emi and Mitsuki. She's the one who suggested making the "Sachiko Ever After" charm. She has a crush on the "cool and strong" Yuuya. She can be met by Satoshi Mochida in the infirmary. She is voiced by Seiko Yoshida.
- Emi Urabe (卜部 恵美 Urabe Emi?) is a naturally charming, plump glasses-wearing girl who radiates of cheerfulness. Mitsuki, Tohko and her have been best friends since first grade. She likes fortune-telling, and was the one who found and told her friends about the "Sachiko Ever After" charm. She is voiced by Satomi Moriya.
- Masato Fukuroi (袋井 雅人 Fukuroi Masato?) is the student council president of Byakudan High School. Masato has a stiff and serious personality, but is also surprisingly caring. He complains when Kensuke, Ryosuke and Tomohiro loaf around the student council room, but also forgives them. He is voiced by Taira Kikumoto.
- Ryosuke Katayama (片山 良介 Katayama Ryōsuke?) is Tomohiro's best friend, and they always go to school together. His usual routine is stop at a game and anime store on his way back home. He is currently obsessed with playing dating simulation games. He is also a member of student council. He is voiced by Daisuke Endou.
- Tomohiro Ohkawa (大川 智寛 Ōkawa Tomohiro?) is a small boy who has a weak and meek personality, and is often teased by the girls at his school. Kai often runs him on errands. He likes to play games on the PSP and DS along with his long-time friend Ryosuke and hang out with him, Kensuke and Masato in the student council room. He is voiced by Shohei Yamaguchi.
- Kai Shimada (島田 快 Shimada Kai?) is a red-haired student, who goes around intimidating people and doing random acts of vandalism. There are a lot of bad rumors about his love life. He is a model for a popular men's magazine. Kai holds a deep one-sided rivalry against Yuuya. He is voiced by Manabu Sakamaki.
- Kou Kibiki (鬼碑忌 コウ Kibiki Kō?)
- Voiced by: Daisuke Endō
- Kou is an adult paranormal and horror novelist who explores Heavenly Host to solve and break down the curse. He wears a dark turquoise yukata. He is the guardian and mentor of Naho Saenoki with a calm personality. Hoping to publish the cursed phenomenon to earn recognition, Kou took action inside Heavenly Host with his cameraman, Shougo Taguchi (田久地 将五 Taguchi Shōgo?), filming every detail, and writing instructions. His amazement does not last long, because soon, the duo finds many dead bodies, making them realize how dangerous the place is. Kou cares about Naho, not wanting her to go to Heavenly Host, as well as other people who might get trapped inside the school. The duo soon got separated leaving only the camera. On the second tape that Kou films inside the Custodian's Closet, he explains the way to escape the school - performing the Sachiko ritual correctly and putting all your scraps together. A possessed Naho busts in and strangles Kou to death. His body, along with Naho's, can be found in the closet in the same room.
- Sayaka Ooue (大上 さやか Ōue Sayaka?)
- Voiced by: MAKO
- A student from Paulownia Academy. Sayaka is a sweet and caring girl, albeit leads a busy life, especially about her job at a studio. Her friendship with Naho is strong, forgiving her if she did anything wrong. Naho requests her to go with her to Heavenly Host to rescue Kou. Sayaka's mother is worried about her daughter going out late, and gives her a piece of candy. After Sayaka bids her farewell she reunites with Naho and performs the "Sachiko Ever After" charm.
- She regains consciousness, seeing herself in the school's Abandoned Bomb Shelter. Sayaka hides in a nearby cabinet and witnesses Yoshikazu tearing a mutilated Nana. Sayaka explores in search of Naho. Unfortunately, after many days had passed, she soon collapsed from starvation and is dragged away by Yoshikazu, while Sachiko devours the candy which fell out of her pocket and was her last memento of her mom, refusing to eat it because of that.
- Nana Ogasawara (小笠原 奈那 Ogasawara Nana?)
- Voiced by: Hiromi Igarashi
- A cute student from Musashigawa Girls' Middle School. Nana is cheerful and optimistic but also very kind. In an Extra Chapter, she helps out a gentleman spirit, Takaomi Shimoda, without any fear and feels that he is different. She is supportive to both classmates Nari and Chihaya, and continues their search for their fellow friends, their confidence bolstered over their good deed. Nana got caught by Yoshikazu and then had her tongue pulled out. In Corpse Party: Book of Shadows, Nana also gets along well with Mayu.
- Nari Amatoya (天戸屋 成 Amatoya Nari?) is a childhood friend of Nana and easily loses patience and is quickly annoyed. However, she keeps a cool head and doesn't whine or cry. Despite seeming cold, she cares about her friends and doesn't want to deal with dangerous situations. She was boiled to death by Yoshikazu. She is voiced by Satomi Moriya.
- Chihaya Yamase (山瀬 千早 Yamase Chihaya?) is Nana's classmate who is a quiet, friendly and a clingy girl. Easily scared, she often lets her emotions take control of her. Due to being spoiled, she often expects people to act and treat her similarly, and thus doesn't get along with Nari. Like Nana and Nari, Chihaya performed the charm for fun with other six friends, ending up in Heavenly Host and after waking up, the only members with her were Nana and Nari. She was dissected before being stuffed into a bucket. She is voiced by Rei Matsuzaki.
Corpse Party: Sachiko's Hysteric Birthday 2U
- Azusa Takai (高井 梓紗 Takai Azusa?)
- Voiced by: Yukana
- A student at St. Cruz Girls' High School, a preparatory school for missionaries. She is also a member of the Wiccan Institute acquainted with Magali. Azusa has straight blonde hair and with divine powers. She ended up in Heavenly Host after performing the "Sachiko Ever After" charm with Ran. She has a mature personality, and lightly shrugs off Ran's advances. Azusa and Ran both appear while walking through the hallways, looking for Sachiko. They finally find Sachiko playing with the others, and Azusa questions Sachiko's motives. In Corpse Party: Blood Drive, a sadistic Azusa threatens Yoshiki.
- Azusa and Ran both tell their story about how they initially arrived at Heavenly Host and how did them first meet "Knight". The last chapter also introduces old classmates, Kentarou Oshio and Toshihisa Gotou. It is possible that Azusa may have dated Toshihisa.
- Ran Kobayashi (古林 蘭 Kobayashi Ran?)
- Voiced by: Sumire Uesaka
- Another student at St. Cruz Girls' High School. She's in love with her childhood friend, Azusa Takai, and calls herself "Azusa's wife."
- Sachiko Shinozaki (篠崎 サチコ Shinozaki Sachiko?)
- Voiced by: Ikue Ōtani
- Sachiko is the ghost of a young girl in a red dress who was a student of Heavenly Host Elementary School in the 1950s. She's the game's antagonist until being appeased. On the day of her 7th birthday, she went to see her mother, Yoshie Shinozaki (篠崎 ヨシヱ Shinozaki Yoshie?), who is a nurse there, she witnessed the principal, Takamine Yanagihori, push her mother down the stairs after his attempt to rape her, thus breaking her neck and killing her. Afraid of Sachiko telling someone about what he did, Takamine strangled her to death. Unable to find peace after being killed in such a heartless manner, Sachiko's spirit remained in the school. At some point, she began infiltrating Takamine's thoughts, driving him to madness to the point he commits suicide by jumping off the school's rooftop. In 1973, Sachiko gained a corporeal form. She used Yoshikazu Yanagihori, Takamine's son and teacher at the school; who like his father suffered from mental illness, to kidnap children for her to kill and send to her mother to endure her loneliness. She eventually stopped killing for her mother's sake, and simply did it because she enjoyed it.
- After the demolition of the elementary school, an alternate dimension kept together by the vengeful souls of Ryou Yoshizawa, Tokiko Tsuji, and Yuki Kanno exists where the school is still standing. Sachiko and the other ghosts, along with Yoshikazu, kill whoever enters after performing the 'Sachiko Ever After' charm incorrectly. To appease Sachiko's spirit and rest in peace, is by returning her tongue, and giving her the black cat plushie Yoshie bought her for her birthday.
- In Corpse Party -THE ANTHOLOGY- Sachiko's Game of Love ♥ Hysteric Birthday 2U is where it takes place during Sachiko's birthday (July 19th) when her powers reach its peak, that of a god. She revives the unfortunate students who have wounded in Heavenly Host and wants to play variety games with them. In addition Sachiko invites some others who are link to the students: Satsuki, Aiko, Haruyuki, Tsukasa Mikuni, and also the two students – Azusa and Ran who came to purify Sachiko.
- The students are force to entertain Sachiko as she said, "Do a romantic comedy or DIE♥", hopefully to satisfy her. Possibly for a miracle to the people trapped in Heavenly Host.
- In Corpse Party: Blood Drive, it is revealed that Yoshie used the Book of Shadows and conjured something called "Nehan", which created a live dimension between the realm of the dead and the world of the living. Yoshie wanted to live there together with her late husband's spirit and abandon her daughter in the world of the living. Unfortunately, she couldn't control the Nehan, her husband's existence got ripped apart, and Yoshie almost died. Yoshie regret her actions, Sachiko whose spiritual power surpassed her mother's absorbed Nehan. Of course, Sachiko's body was never the same afterwards. The Nehan resurfaced and gave birth to the cursed Heavenly Host that day Takamine killed Yoshie. After the protagonists freed Sachiko, the Nehan continues to exist without Sachiko's control. With her spirit remain beside Ayumi.
Corpse Party: Another Child
A spin-off manga that takes place during the events of Corpse Party. With their school, Satsukiyama Academy (皐月山学園 Satsukiyama Gakuen?), shutting down for good, the students of a small town were heading for different directions in life, not until they decide to perform the "Sachiko Ever After" charm swallowing the entire class to Heavenly Host Elementary, along with a mysterious girl's spirit.
- Tamaki Minase (水瀬 環 Minase Tamaki?)
- The protagonist of Corpse Party: Another Child. Tamaki is a student with psychic abilities. She gets trapped inside Heavenly Host after performing Naho's spell "Sachiko Ever After" with her childhood friend Yuuma (and others who participated), whom she has a crush on. She is born shy and timid, hence the frequent abuse from her classmate and love rival, Erina Yuzuki. Tamaki briefly meets Yui Shishido. She is also able to see spirits.
- Yuuma Shindou (新堂 勇馬 Shindō Yūma?)
- Yuuma is a calm and rather friendly boy, who goes to the same school as his two childhood friends Tamaki and Shinichi Yanagihara. When Satsukiyama Academy was going to merge, he decides to move to another school. After escaping Heavenly Host, Yuuma walks with Tamaki to the train station, saying his last goodbyes to her.
- Saki Akagiri (赤桐 サキ Akagiri Saki?)
- Saki is the ghost of a girl in a black gothic lolita dress that has been around Tamaki for a while, and followed her to Heavenly Host when sent by Mayuri Yoshimura. Saki and her mother were threaten to death, due to being ostracized as the "daughter of the Devil", similar to Sachiko's case. She asks Tamaki to join her, saying that the two of them are alike, because the two are lonely and bullied, and she possesses a psychokinetic ability to break things. When Saki is purified, Sachiko tries to kill the remaining survivors but Saki protects them. Saki is so far the only ghost in the series who doesn't have any connection to Heavenly Host.
- The other following trapped Satsukiyama students: Kana, Minoru Hasegawa, Miyako Hayakawa, Noriko, Yamazaki, and Yuma Okita.
Corpse Party: Blood Drive
Corpse Party: Blood Drive is the direct sequel to Corpse Party: Book of Shadows, and is the first game featuring settings and characters rendered in 3D. Platform is PlayStation Vita, released in Japan in July 2014 by 5pb.. The characters are depicted in 3D chibi style, however traditional CG artwork appears during cutscenes, illustrated by Sakuya Kamishiro.
Two months after the events of Corpse Party: Book of Shadows, Ayumi Shinozaki had been severely ill for her use of the Book of Shadows' black magic. In the prologue, after escaping Heavenly Host, Ayumi and Naomi Nakashima went to investigate the Shinozaki estate, Sachiko Shinozaki's birthplace, believing there's hope to revive their dead friends since Naho Saenoki and Kou Kibiki's existence weren't erased like the other victims. At the estate, Ayumi discovered that she is of the same lineage as Sachiko. Hearing an eerie voice, Ayumi uncovers a magical tome known as the Book of Shadows. Ayumi and Naomi performed a resurrection spell for Mayu Suzumoto (Seiko Shinohara in the manga), but failed. As a result, the book unleashed its rage upon Ayumi until her older sister Hinoe Shinozaki rushed in and presumably saved Ayumi, at the cost of her own safety. Hinoe is shown to have lost a large amount of blood, leaving Ayumi screaming in terror. Naomi managed to save Ayumi and took her to a hospital. However, the Shinozaki estate and tome have vanished.
In the hospital, a girl (Mirai Yamamura) claiming to be a spiritual associate of Hinoe's visits Ayumi. This girl belongs to the Wiccan Institute, an organization that worships spirits. She tells Ayumi, Hinoe's last wish, to regain the Book of Shadows or the world will fall into the abyss.
After being discharged from the hospital, Ayumi returns to Kisaragi Academy where Satoshi Mochida and friends give her a warm welcome. However, the absence of their dead friends is a constant reminder of their inevitable reality. Now a new teacher's assistant, Kuon Niwa, supervises their homeroom. Later, on her way home, a hooded boy approaches Ayumi and tells her, "If you reclaim the Book of Shadows and use it at Heavenly Host, those who have died there will be revived." Ayumi pledges that she will once more take back the Book of Shadows. The trail now leads into the previous residence of Makina Shinozaki. To make matters worse, Heavenly Host's curse seems to have expand by the "new Sachiko". For Ayumi, it is the responsibility of Shinozaki's bloodline.
The player takes control over the character during exploration events, and the Dummy Head Mic from previous games will return, allowing the player to perceive directional sounds by listening through headphones. The opening song is performed by Asami Imai (Ayumi Shinozaki) and Yumi Hara (Satsuki Mizuhara).
- Satsuki Mizuhara (水原 さつき Mizuhara Satsuki?)
- Voiced by: Yumi Hara
- Yuka Mochida's classmate and best friend. She always carries around a bag of potato chips. Satsuki arrives in Heavenly Host with Yuka when Misuto approaches them. For unknown reasons, Satsuki really gets along with Sachiko in Corpse Party 2U. It's possible that Satsuki is not human. Magali reveals that Satsuki belonged a clan who supposed to watch over Yuka.
- Kuon Niwa
- Voiced by: Saori Hayami
- The "new" assistant teacher of Ayumi's class. She speaks with a calm tone and cares for her students, but there seems to be something mysterious about her. She is revealed to be Aiko's older sister. Kuon has an abnormal brain with white hair making her the "perfect" genius. People have constantly pushed her to exert her brain and life energy which led to her having the body of 90 years old at the age of 24. The watch on her wrist shows her remaining lifespan. She provides comfort and protection for Satoshi and Naomi. Kuon remodels Satoshi's house into a wealthy onsen. Later on, Kuon uses the "Death Meet Stone" to summon them to Heavenly Host for rescue. Kuon decides to destroy the seventh pillar with her remaining life energy and the energy she's absorbed from Sachi. Magali thanks Kuon and promises to protect Aiko for her.
- Magali Mizuki (十三月 愛狩 Mizuki Magari?)
- Voiced by: Maaya Uchida
- A transfer student to Paulownia Academy that wields a scythe. She's a member of a black magic cult (Maltuva's Grave) who seems to be deeply involved with the Book of Shadows. Magali also knows how to manipulate people. It may be possible that Magali is not human. Yoshiki jumps in with Magali to Heavenly Host to find Ayumi. Magali explain that the one inside the Nehan's core is the soul of the witch who created the book 300 years ago during the witch hunt. This is why the Shinozaki family guarded the book from generation to generation. She originally interfered with Ayumi to take the book herself, but gives Ayumi the chance to set things right.
- Aiko Niwa (丹羽亜衣子 Niwa Aiko?)
- Voiced by: Rikako Yamaguchi
- She is first introduced in Corpse Party: Book of Shadows. Aiko is an informer with an interest in spiritual items and money. She's often in rivalry with Naho Saenoki. As described by her, Aiko is a gossip interested in other people's private lives, using her spiritual powers to find out more about them. Aiko is the one who originally discovered Heavenly Host before passing the idea to Naho. Aiko has a doting relationship with Kuon but dislikes her since Kuon excelled at literally everything, there was nothing left for Aiko. In Blood Drive, Aiko initially meets Ayumi, and arrives in Heavenly Host afterwards. She goes in search for Ayumi and Sakaya. In the infirmary, Aiko receives Yoshie's memories to learn the truth. Aiko calls Kuon "Onee-chan", one last time in the end that makes Kuon happy.
- Haruyuki Inumaru (犬丸 晴行 Inumaru Haruyuki?)
- Voiced by: Tomohiro Yamaguchi
- He makes his first appearance in Corpse Party 2U. Haruyuki is a childhood friend of Sayaka Ooue, and is infatuated with her. She harshly rejects him however and refers to him as a dog, which he doesn't seem to mind. In Blood Drive, he assists Aiko when they got dragged into Heavenly Host in search their friends, however as Haruyuki discovers Sayaka's corpse he succumbs to the "darkening". Sayaka's spirit comes to the rescue. She finally breaks into tears as well and yells that no one's at fault here. Haruyuki seems to have accepted Sayaka and joins her in the afterlife.
- Makina Shinozaki (篠崎 護月 Shinozaki Makina?)
- Voiced by: Mika Kanda
- She is actually Ayumi Shinozaki's great-great-aunt. Makina is a stubborn old woman who is full aware of her Shinozaki bloodline's curse. They said that she had died but remains as a spirit. In her apartment holds Sachi's teeth, "Death Meet Stones", and a protective charm discovered by Ayumi.
- Misuto Kiriya
- Voiced by: Jun Oosuka
- The mysterious young man who suddenly appears in front of Ayumi. He was part of a clan similar to the Shinozaki and his grandfather was a Shinto Priest. However, his family was ostracized by society which eventually led to their deaths. This has caused him to hate the world, then Hinoe Shinozaki took him in as her apprentice, and has grown to like her. Learning about how Hinoe died for her sister Ayumi, Misuto lost hope and plans to rule the world by using a new and replica Book of Shadows. He forcefully summons Ayumi to the cursed school during a brief encounter with Yoshiki. Deceiving her that she can bring her friends back to life if she retrieves the Book of Shadows. Misuto concocts a scheme to throw the world into the abyss by manipulating Ayumi and Yuka, due to Ayumi's bloodline and Yuka's strong spiritual essence. Ayumi overpowers him; his head then gets decapitated by Satsuki.
- She is Sachiko's unborn twin sister. Sachi's spirit is unseen, but with Naomi's cursed eye she is able to see her. Sachi had died in Yoshie's womb and Sachiko absorbed her. However, her teeth remained somewhere next to her sister's heart and were then surgically removed after Sachiko's birth. Sachi envied her sister for being able to live and tried to possess other people to "live" as well. She disguises herself as Yuki Kanno who leads an army of masked henchman with axes. Sachi tries to strangle Satoshi with Yuka's body. Naomi takes a stone and wounds her cursed eye. It wounds Sachi as well and saves Satoshi. Kuon then crushes Sachi's teeth and eats the powder. Kuon tells Sachi to return to her mother's womb, to become a fetus again and to be born for real. Kuon has sealed Sachi within her body and become her mother.
Corpse Party 2: Dead Patient
The series takes place five years after the events of Corpse Party. The Amare Patriarcha Crucis Hospital (文月大付属・慈愛十字（パトリアーカル）病院 Fumizuki Daifuzoku Patoriākaru Byōin?) has fallen into a dark abyss. Patient records and clinical charts were scattered all over the place, with zombies and the bizarre SWAT team roaming through the hallways. The hospital may be linked to Naho Saenoki's notes.
- Ayame Ito (伊藤 あやめ Itō Ayame?)
- The female protagonist or heroine introduced in Corpse Party 2: Dead Patient. Ayame is a student of Minazuki Academy High School's class 1-5. Having lost her memories, Ayame does not know her own name or the faces of her friends. One rainy night, Ayame woke up lying down on an operating table, as if she just awoken from presurgical anesthesia, in the unknown hospital of Amare Patriarcha Crucis with not a soul around, but soon finds it haunted with zombies, and the SWAT team. Whenever she gets scared, she will let out an odd, squeaky scream. She has no idea of who she is or why she's there, yet she sets out to escape from the hospital. Ayame can resemble as Ayumi Shinozaki.
- Masato Hiyami (氷海 真里 Hiyami Masato?)
- The male protagonist. A student of Tsukinoka High School. Born with a weak body, Masato was forced to change schools repeatedly due to his illness and frequent hospital visits. Originally, he is a cheerful and never-say-die type, who was well liked by his peers. Masato attended his third year in elementary school in the same class as Ayame and Chiyomi where they got along well.
- Ritsuko Satomi (里見 律子 Satomi Ritsuko?)
- A press photographer who has a dominating personality. She was the first survivor to meet Ayame. Ritsuko exchanges text messages with her fiancé, Masami, who works at the hospital, while dreaming of being reunited. She persuades the others survivors to gather and defend themselves at the nurse's station.
- Chiyomi Homura (穂村 千代美 Homura Chiyomi?)
- Ayame's childhood friend. A boisterous, energetic girl with a strange vocabulary, Chiyomi's classmates all unanimously nicknamed her "No Filter." When Chiyomi went to visit Ayame in the Amare Patriarcha Crucis hospital, she invited her classmates to come along with her; therefore the escapade throughout the hospital eventually began. Chiyomi can resemble as Seiko Shinohara.
- Kurara Teshimazu (手清水 くらら Teshimazu Kurara?)
- The class 1-5 representative. As the gifted child of an upper-class family, Kurara has taken a special classical ballet class from a very young age. Though she has an easy-going personality, she has a surprisingly firm foundation.
- Ryuji Shimazaki (島崎 竜司 Shimazaki Ryūji?)
- Ryuji wishes to become an actor in the special effects association. He is Kurara's childhood friend. Because he demands so much from himself, he requires the same from others; Ryuji is especially tough on his classmates. Despite this, Ryuji's not a bad guy overall. He's had some interaction with the theater club at Kisaragi Academy; through this he has met Sakutaro Morishige. Sakutaro is one of the few people whom he considers a friend.
- Masami Yoshinaka (芳仲 雅巳 Yoshinaka Masami?)
- A registered doctor who works at the Amare Patriarcha Crucis hospital. Masami is also Ritsuko's fiancé. From his soft demeanor and his refined features, Masami is a huge hit amongst the female staff; naturally, he's also extremely popular with the female patients as well. He took three years in medical school and then followed it with two years of university training. He passed the medical licensing examination on his first try.
- At the final segments of the game, it turns out the attack on Ayame's group is revealed to be perpetrated by Masami. He lifts Ayame's shirt, revealing an empty hole in her chest while laughing maniacally.
The opening for Corpse Party: Blood Covered Repeated Fear is "Shangri-La" by Asami Imai, and the ending for Blood Covered is "Confutatis no Inori", by ARTERY VEIN (Asami Imai & Eri Kitamura). An insert song, "Yami ni Nureta Catastrophe", also sung by ARTERY VEIN, plays at Naomi's flashback in the final scene where she realised she was the one who killed Seiko, and darkens; however, Seiko's spirit reliefs her.
The opening theme for Corpse Party: Book of Shadows is "Hana no Saku Basho" by Asami Imai, and the ending is "Pandora no Yoru", by ARTERY VEIN.
The opening theme for Corpse Party: 2U is called "Limited Love" by Asami Imai, and the ending theme is "Tsukigen" by ARTERY VEIN. An insert song, "Hanabi", sung by Yumi Hara, plays at the final scene where Sachiko's birthday has ended and she seemed to have only a brief memory of it, before screaming in agony and reverting to her malicious self.
In Corpse Party: BloodDrive, there are two openings; the first one being "In the Rain", by Yumi Hara, and the second being "Keshin" by Asami Imai, which plays at Chapter 7 after Ayumi's retrieval of the Book of Shadows. The ending is "Translucent Days" by ARTERY VEIN.
The video game has been adapted into four manga series: Corpse Party: Blood Covered, published by Square Enix; Corpse Party: Musume and Corpse Party: Book of Shadows, published by Media Factory; and Corpse Party: Another Child, published by Mag Garden. One original video animation (OVA), Corpse Party: Missing Footage, was released on August 2, 2012. Another OVA consisting of four episodes titled Corpse Party: Tortured Souls (コープスパーティー Tortured Souls ―暴虐された魂の呪叫― Kōpusu Pātī Tortured Souls: Bōgyaku Sareta Tamashii no Jukyō?), was released July 24, 2013. The opening theme is "Hoshikuzu no Ring" by Asami Imai. The ending theme is "Hotarubi" by Yumi Hara.
- 2014-03-19, Corpse Party: Blood Drive Will Be Released This July For PlayStation Vita, Siliconera
- Gris Gris Official Website : http://www.gris2.com/ (Japanese)
- "Marvelous USA Licenses Corpse Party Horror PSP Game". Anime News Network. 2 September 2011. Retrieved 3 September 2011.
- "Corpse Party: Book of Shadows 2nd N. American Trailer Posted". Anime News Network. 2013-01-09. Retrieved 2013-03-28.
- "Corpse Party Anthology PSP Game to Bundle Video Anime". Anime News Network. 11 April 2012. Retrieved 28 March 2013.
- Ishaan (22 April 2013). "Corpse Party Continues On PS Vita With Corpse Party: Blood Drive". Siliconera.com. Retrieved 13 July 2013.
- 2013-10-04, Corpse Party: Blood Drive pushed to 2014 in Japan, Gematsu
- "Corpse Party 2: Dead Patient PC Game Announced". Anime News Network. 16 August 2012. Retrieved 3 September 2013.
- 2014-03-20, More Details On Corpse Party: Blood Drive's Story And New Characters, Siliconera
- 2014-03-28, Corpse Party: Blood Drive dated in Japan, new details, Gematsu
- 2014-07-15, Famitsu Review Scores: Issue 1336, Gematsu
- "Corpse Party Games Get New Tortured Souls Video Anime". Anime News Network. 2 August 2012. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- Team GrisGris official website (Japanese)
- Official Corpse Party: Blood Covered website (PC Doujin) (Japanese)
- Official Corpse Party: Blood Covered Repeated Fear website (PSP) (Japanese)
- Official website (manga) (Japanese)
- Official Marvelous USA Games website
- CORPSE PARTY (PC-98) (Japanese)
- CORPSE PARTY (Windows XP) English Translation