St. Mary's Church, Corringham
Corringham shown within Essex
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Ambulance||East of England|
|EU Parliament||East of England|
|UK Parliament||South Basildon and East Thurrock|
Corringham is a small English town within the unitary authority of Thurrock and one of the traditional (Church of England) parishes. It is situated in the east of the borough of Thurrock and has over time come to be considered an area within the larger neighbouring town of Stanford-Le-Hope. The parish church originated in the Saxon period. Corringham was formerly served by the Corringham Light Railway which connected the Kynoch munitions factory with the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway. It is one of the seven conservation areas within the Thurrock Unitary Authority.
Origin of the Name
Thought to originate from derivation of a Saxon chieftain named Curra, the ‘ing’, which means followers, and ‘ham’ which means ‘home’
The parish church
The south wall of the parish church contains examples of Saxon herringbone stonework in both the nave and the chancel. There are other Saxon features inside the church. The tower is also likely to be Saxon.
Schools in Corringham
Corringham Primary School, Herd Lane. Age range 4–11 years Number of students: 412
Giffards Primary School, Queen Elizabeth Drive. Age Range 4–11 years Number of students: 469
Graham James Primary School, The Sorrells. Age Range 4–11 years Number of students: 211
Sport & Leisure
- Mark-Anthony Turnage - Composer.
- Danny Crates - Paralympic 800m Athlete. Flag Bearer at Beijing 2008.
- Roy Hay (musician) - Lead Guitarist and Song Writer in ex-band Culture Club.
- Sue Hodge - Actress, best known for her role as the Waitress Mimi Labonq in the BBC sitcom 'Allo 'Allo.
- Dougie Poynter - Bass Player and Vocalist in British pop-punk band, McFly.
- dan le sac - producer and vocalist in British Electro/Hip-Hop band, dan le sac Vs Scroobius Pip.
- Denise Van Outen - Actress, Singer and Television Presenter.
- Rylan Clark - Reality TV star, Singer, LGBT Advocate, Model.
- "Thurrock: Strategic Planning: Population" (PDF). www.thurrock-community.org.uk. January 2007. Retrieved 2007-01-05.
- Thurrock Council | Natural & Historic Environment | Conservation Areas In Thurrock
- Stephen Pewsey and Andrew Brooks East Saxon heritage (Allan Sutton Publishing, 1993)
- Potter, JE A Geological Review of Some Early Church Quoins in Essex Archaeology and History, Vol 36, 2005
- School website: http://www.gablehall.co.uk