Amir Nayyerhabibi (President and CEO), Zino Chair (Vice President Marketing) and Hojjat Salemi (CTO) founded Cortina Systems, Inc in 2001 in the Menlo Park, California library, located in Silicon Valley. It is a private company which employs over 300 people worldwide. It has development centers in USA, Canada, China, Taiwan, Israel.
Cortina’s product line spans computer and telecommunication networking: the company has products for core, enterprise, metropolitan high-speed networks, as well as products for the digital home networks. Products include:
- Ethernet: 1-, 2-, and 4-port 10Gbit/s Ethernet MACs; 4-, 10-, 12-, and 24-port 1Gbit/s Ethernet MACs
- Transport: 2.5Gbit/s, 10Gbit/s and 40Gbit/s FEC/OTN Framers; 100Gbit/s FEC/OTN/Ethernet Framer; 2.5G and 10Gbit/s VCAT framer
- Framer: SONET/SDH POS, ATM, and GFP framer for OC-3 to OC-192 with integrated SerDes; RPR framer, RPR bridge
- Access: 4-port EPON OLT, EPON ONU
- PHY: 10Mbit/s transceiver; 1-, 2-, 4-, and 8-port Fast Ethernet transceivers: 6- and 8-port Fast Ethernet repeaters
- T1/E1: 1-, 4-, and 8-port T1/E1/J1 transceivers and repeaters; OC3 transceiver
- Digital Home Processor: Multi-core, Storage, Security
Cortina is a fabless semiconductor company. It outsources all semiconductor manufacturing to merchant foundries. The company is based in Sunnyvale, California. It also has other research and development sites in Hsinchu (Taiwan), Ottawa (Canada), Raleigh (USA) and Shanghai (China).
Cortina has acquired several companies.
|2004||Azanda Network Devices||Traffic management and ATM Segmentation and Reassembly products|
|2006||Intel Optical Networking – Component Division||Ethernet Framers, Ethernet PHYs, Optical Transport FEC framers, Ethernet over SONET service framers, and T1/E1 Line Interface Units|
|2007||Immenstar||Passive optical networking system-on-chip technology|
|2008||Storm Semiconductor||Network processors for the home|
- "Cisco Systems, Cortina Systems Announce Interlaken Protocol". News release (Cisco Systems Inc.). April 24, 2006. Retrieved June 16, 2011.
- "Cortina Acquires Azanda Network Devices". Converge! Network digest. February 2, 2005. Retrieved June 16, 2011.
- "Cortina Acquires Azanda Network Devices". Light Reading. February 2, 2005. Retrieved June 16, 2011.
- "Cortina Systems Purchases Intel's Optical-Networking Components Business". News release (Intel). September 11, 2006. Retrieved June 16, 2011.
- "Top 10 Private Companies: Cortina Systems Inc. No. 2". Light Reading. August 15, 2007. Retrieved June 16, 2011.
- Meghan Fuller (February 26, 2007). "Cortina Systems enters access arena with Immenstar acquisition". Lightwave online blog. Retrieved June 16, 2011.
- Dean Takahashi (June 18, 2008). "Cortina Systems buys Storm Semiconductor". Venture Beat blog. Retrieved June 16, 2011.