|Studio album by Creedence Clearwater Revival|
|Recorded||1969–1970 at Wally Heider Studios in San Francisco, California|
|Genre||Roots rock, country rock, blues rock, southern rock|
|Creedence Clearwater Revival chronology|
|Singles from Cosmo's Factory|
|Robert Christgau||A link|
Cosmo's Factory is the fifth studio album by American rock band Creedence Clearwater Revival, released by Fantasy Records in July 1970 and released as Fantasy 8402, the same month as the single release of "Lookin' out My Back Door" b/w "Long As I Can See the Light" (see 1970 in music).
The name of the album comes from the room where the band rehearsed early in their career. Bandleader John Fogerty was so insistent on practicing (nearly every day)--and the atmosphere was often so smoky from the other members' cigarettes—that drummer Doug "Cosmo" Clifford began referring to the place as "the factory".
Early pressings of the album contain a three-second dropout on the left stereo channel during "Before You Accuse Me" and an earlier mix of "Travelin' Band" with John Fogerty's first solo mixed behind the horn section. This mix was restored on the 40th anniversary reissue.
In 2003, Rolling Stone Magazine ranked Cosmo's Factory 265 on its list of 500 Greatest Albums.
Creedence Clearwater Revival released their fourth studio album, "Willy and the Poor Boys", in November 1969. Shortly after, the band began recording songs for their next album, Cosmo's Factory. In January 1970, the double A-sided single, "Travelin' Band"/"Who'll Stop the Rain", peaked at #2 on the Billboard Hot 100. In April, the band released their next double-sided single, "Run Through the Jungle"/"Up Around the Bend", which reached #4 and #2 on the Hot 100, respectively, and started their first tour of Europe. Three months later, in July, Creedence released their fifth album, Cosmo's Factory, and their ninth single "Lookin' Out My Back Door" b/w "Long As I Can See the Light", both of which reached #2 on the Hot 100.
The album was certified "Gold" (500,000 units sold) by the Recording Industry Association of America on December 16, 1970. Almost twenty years later, on December 13, 1990, it received a certification of 4 times platinum with sales of over four million units sold.
Cosmo's Factory was published in the US as LP record and 8-track cartridge in 1970. It was reissued by Fantasy records as an Vinyl LP and cassette using the original master recordings under Fantasy's Original Rock Classics banner.This Album is exactly the same as the original except that it bears both the original Fantasy Catalog #8402 and ORC Catalog #4516 (side by side), as well as a barcode. It was Issued as CD in 1987, and as remastered Super Audio CD in 2002. In 2006 it was published as limited edition 180gm remastered LP record. In 1993 it was published as limited edition remastered Gold CD. Its 40th anniversary edition was reissued in 2008 as remastered digipack CD with bonus tracks.
Track listing 
All songs written and composed by J.C. Fogerty, except where noted..
|2.||"Before You Accuse Me" (Ellas McDaniel)||3:24|
|4.||"Ooby Dooby" (Wade Moore, Dick Penner)||2:05|
|5.||"Lookin' Out My Back Door"||2:31|
|6.||"Run Through the Jungle†"||3:09|
|1.||"Up Around the Bend†"||2:40|
|2.||"My Baby Left Me" (Arthur Crudup)||2:17|
|3.||"Who'll Stop the Rain‡"||2:28|
|4.||"I Heard It Through the Grapevine" (Norman Whitfield, Barrett Strong)||11:05|
|5.||"Long as I Can See the Light"||3:33|
Note: All tracks recorded June 1970, except for † recorded March 1970 and ‡ recorded late 1969
|40th Anniversary Edition CD bonus tracks|
|1.||"Travelin' Band" (Remake Take)||2:15|
|2.||"Up Around the Bend" (Live in Amsterdam, September 10, 1971)||2:41|
|3.||"Born on the Bayou" (Jam with Booker T. at Fantasy Studios)||5:58|
- Doug Clifford – drums
- Stu Cook – bass
- John Fogerty – lead guitar, piano, saxophone, harmonica, vocals, producer, arranger
- Tom Fogerty – rhythm guitar, except on track 13
- Russ Gary – engineer
- Bob Fogerty – cover art, design, photography
Popular References & Awards 
In the film The Big Lebowski, Jeffrey "The Dude" Lebowski has a cassette of the album in his car stereo. One car scene features "Run Through the Jungle", while another scene depicting The Dude smoking marijuana in his car is accompanied by "Lookin' Out My Back Door". The album is also mentioned in the Coen Brothers' later film A Serious Man as one of the LPs that Larry Gopnik is offered by the Columbia Record Club.
|Australia (Kent Music Report)||1|
|Canada RPM 100 Albums||1|
|France Top Albums||1|
|Netherlands (Top 100)||2|
|Norway (Top 40)||1|
|UK (The Official Charts Company)||1|
|US Billboard 200||1|
|US Billboard R&B Albums||11|
|Pop Singles||UK Top 40|
"Who'll Stop The Rain"
|"Up Around The Bend"/
"Run Through The Jungle"
|"Lookin' Out My Back Door"/
"Long As I Can See The Light"
Release history 
|North America||July 1970||Fantasy Records||stereo LP||8402|
|United Kingdom||1970||Liberty Records||stereo LP||LBS 83388|
|Germany||1970||Bellaphon Records||stereo LP||BLPS 19005|
|unknown||March 1973||Fantasy Records||stereo LP||FT 502|
|United States||1980||Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab||Half-Speed LP||MFSL 1-037|
|United States||1983||Fantasy Records||stereo LP||ORC-4516|
|United States||August 1987||Fantasy Records||CD||CDFE 505|
|World-wide||2008||Fantasy Records||expanded CD||FAN-30880-02|
- Chronicle: The 20 Greatest Hits (CD booklet). Creedence Clearwater Revival. Berkeley, California, United States: Fantasy Records. 1991. FCD-CCR2-2.
- "Creedence Clearwater Revival - Billboard Singles". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved November 21, 2010.
- Kent, David. Australian Chart Book 1970-1992. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "100 Albums" (PHP). RPM 14 (2). August 29, 1970. Retrieved April 13, 2011.
- "Le Détail des Albums de chaque Artiste" (PHP). InfoDisc (in French). Look for "CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL" under the drop-down menu.
- "Album Info: Cosmo's Factory – Creedence Clearwater Revival" (PHP). VG-lista (in Norwegian). Retrieved April 13, 2011.
- "Creedence Clearwater Revival - Billboard Albums". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved November 11, 2010.
- "Artist Chart History: Creedence Clearwater Revival". The Official Charts Company. Retrieved April 13, 2011.
- "Gold & Platinum Searchable Database". (PHP). Recording Industry Association of America. Type in "Creedence Clearwater Revival" under Artist to see search results.
- "News". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2011-12-04.
- "Monkey Mafia Discography at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2011-12-04.
- "Creedence Clearwater Revival – Cosmo's Factory (Album)" (PHP). Dutch Charts. Hung Medien. Retrieved April 13, 2011.
Blood, Sweat & Tears 3 by Blood, Sweat & Tears
|Billboard 200 number one album
August 22 – October 23, 1970
Abraxas by Santana
Déjà Vu by Crosby, Stills & Nash (and Young)
|Australian Kent Music Report number one album
September 14, 1970 – January 23, 1971
Led Zeppelin III by Led Zeppelin
A Question of Balance by The Moody Blues
|UK Albums Chart number-one album
September 12–19, 1970
Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! The Rolling Stones in Concert
by The Rolling Stones