Cosmopolitan Club (Coimbatore)
|Headquarters||Race Course, Coimbatore|
The Cosmopolitan Club in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India is a club started in 1891 by a group of local citizens. It is located in Race Course Road, in the city of Coimbatore. This was one of the earliest clubs in India started by Indians as against the strict Anglican Clubs run by British in India.
The Land for the club was purchased from S.L. Ramaswamy Aiyer of Sulur on July 25, 1891. To an existing small shed was added a clubhouse, a billiards room, card rooms, tennis courts and so on. The front Porch was called Verandah club. A large tree in the vicity was main meeting place of its members’ also called as Wisdom Tree.
The Club is located in the lush green Race Course locality of Coimbatore. Since the club is over 100 years old, the vegetation inside is well preserved.
- Library - A large extensive library
- Bar & Catering - Indoor Airconditioned and Outdoor Lawns. Indian, Oriental and Western Cuisine.
- Bridge - Regular Bridge sessions in Bridge Room.
- Accommodation - 8 Air-conditioned Double Suites in Grand Stand, Tolly Towers & Tolly Terrace.
- Party halls-One Indoor and one Lawn
- C. Subramaniam - Former Union Minister and former Governor of Mahrashtra and Father of Green Revolution.
- R. K. Shanmugam Chettiar - India's first Finance Minister and Industrialist.
- Nirupama Vaidyanathan - Former National Tennis Champion and Wimbledon Commentator