Costa Fascinosa in Venice
|Owner:||Carnival Corporation & plc|
|Builder:||Fincantieri, at Marghera, Venice|
|Cost:||510 million euro|
|Laid down:||3 September 2010|
|Maiden voyage:||6 May 2012|
|Class & type:||Modified Concordia class cruise ship|
|Tonnage:||114,500 gross ton|
Costa Fascinosa is a Concordia-class cruise ship that was ordered in October 2007 for Costa Crociere. Based on the Concordia class design, Costa Fascinosa was constructed by Fincantieri's Marghera shipyard in Venice. Part of a five-ship expansion of the Costa Crociere fleet, the vessel entered service on 6 May 2012.
Design and construction
Costa Fascinosa and sister ship Costa Favolosa were ordered in October 2007 as part of a 2.4 billion euro expansion of the Costa Crociere fleet, with five ships entering service between 2009 and 2012 to increase the company's passenger capacity by 50%. Costa Fascinosa cost 510 million euro to build.
The names of the two ships were selected via competition. The first phase saw 16,000 pairs of names submitted by travel agents and their customers from around the world, after being asked to suggest names that . These names were to evoke the idea that the ships were "magical" and "glamorous" places. 25 name pairs were shortlisted and placed on the company's website, where over 42,000 visitors voted on their favourite. Favolosa (Italian for "fabulous") and Fascinosa ("fascinating" or "glamorous") were selected as the winning name pair.
The vessel is based on the Concordia class design already in service with Costa Crociere. Upon completion, the vessel measured 114,500 gross tons. She carries up to 3,780 passengers in 1,506 cabins; six more than previous Concordia class ships.
Costa Fascinosa entered service on 6 May 2012, sailing on a preview cruise before entering regular service on 11 May, cruising to the eastern Mediterranean. She will be transferred to South America in November 2012, before returning to the eastern Mediterranean for the summer 2013 season.
- "Costa Favolosa and Fascinosa". Cruise Industry News. 3 November 2010. Retrieved 16 February 2010.
- Niemelä, Teijo (31 January 2010). "Costa Deliziosa handed over". Cruise Business Review. Retrieved 16 February 2010.
- "Company profile". Costa Cruises. Retrieved 16 February 2010.
- "Costa Crociere orders two new cruise ships from Fincantieri" (Press release). Costa Cruises. 18 October 2007. Retrieved 16 February 2010.
- "Italy: Fincantieri’s Marghera Shipyard Delivers Costa Fascinosa". Shipbuilding Tribune. 7 May 2012. Archived from the original on 16 May 2012. Retrieved 17 May 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Costa Fascinosa.|