|Owner:||Carnival Corporation & plc|
|Port of registry:||Italy, Genoa|
|Ordered:||1 October 2004|
|Laid down:||1 February 2005|
|Launched:||4 August 2006|
|Completed:||9 March 2007|
|Identification:||Call sign: ICAZ
IMO number: 9343132
MMSI number: 247187600
|Class & type:||Concordia-class cruise ship|
|Length:||289.59 m (950.1 ft)|
|Beam:||35.5 m (116 ft)|
|Draught:||8.30 m (27.2 ft)|
|Depth:||14.18 m (46.5 ft)|
|Deck clearance:||2,908 mm (114.5 in)|
|Propulsion:||Two shafts; fixed-pitch propellers|
|Speed:||20 knots (37 km/h; 23 mph)|
Costa Serena is a Concordia-class cruise ship for the Italian cruise line, Costa Crociere. The name Serena was intended to symbolize harmony and serenity. Since her inauguration and entry into service in mid-2007, she has been the line's flagship.
Costa Serena was constructed by Fincantieri in Sestri Ponente. Her older sister ship, Costa Concordia, was launched in 2006. The ship, along with her three active sisters, is the largest and longest in the Costa Crociere fleet. The sister ships, Costa Pacifica and Costa Favolosa were launched in 2009 and 2011 with Costa Fascinosa launched in 2012. Costa Serena's godmother is Marion Cotillard.
May 19, 2007 marked the day of Costa Serena's inaugural event. The event was held in Marseille, France and featured fireworks and a laser show. At the same time as the actual inauguration, Costa held an inaugural event in the virtual world of Second Life.
Ports of call
Costa Serena departs from Savona, Civitavecchia, Valencia, Marseille, Palermo, and Palma De Mallorca.
- "Advanced Masterdata for the Vessel Costa Serena". VesselTracker. 15 May 2011. Retrieved 10 September 2011.
- "Costa Crociere’s Fleet Continues to Grow Costa Serena Sister Ship of Costa Concordia Launched Today in Genoa – The Two Largest Vessels in Italian" (Press release). Fincantieri. 4 August 2006. Retrieved 10 September 2011.
- Costa Serena Ship's website. Retrieved 24 July 2010
- "Fincantieri Delivers the Twelfth Flagship of Costa Crociere’s Italian Fleet Costa Serena the Gods’ Ship" (Press release). Fincantieri. 15 May 2007. Retrieved 10 September 2011.
- Anita Dunham-Potter (11 June 2007). "Ciao, Serena". ExpertCruiser. Retrieved 2 September 2011.
- "Costa to Host 'Virtual' Costa Serena Inaugural". TravelPulse. 17 May 2007. Retrieved 10 September 2011.
- "Cruise Ship Diaries". NatGeoTV. Retrieved 10 September 2011.