Cote de Pablo
|Cote de Pablo|
De Pablo at the 2011 ALMA Award
|Born||María José de Pablo Fernández
November 12, 1979
|Known for||Ziva David, NCIS|
María José de Pablo Fernández, better known as Cote de Pablo[p] (born November 12, 1979), is a Chilean stage and TV actress and recording artist. She is best known for her role as Ziva David[p] in the CBS television series NCIS, for which she has won an ALMA Award. She has also embarked on a career as a songwriter and vocalist.
De Pablo was born in Santiago, Chile. She has a younger sister, Andrea, and a brother who works as a DJ. When de Pablo was 10 years old, her mother, María Olga Fernández, received a job in Miami, Florida, at a Spanish-speaking television network. There, de Pablo attended Arvida Middle School and New World School of the Arts where she studied musical theater. In the 5th grade, she found many people could not properly pronounce her first name of "María José," so she asked them to call her "Cote," a common Chilean nickname for "María José." De Pablo then attended Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where she studied music and theater and appeared in several plays, including And the World Goes 'Round, The House of Bernarda Alba, Indiscretions, The Fantasticks, and A Little Night Music. She graduated in 2000.
After graduation, she moved to New York City to find work as an actress, working as a waitress in an Indian restaurant in Manhattan and an Italian eatery in Brooklyn to support herself. She picked up parts in the New York City Public Theater, in the TV show All My Children, and in commercials. In 2005, de Pablo was about to make her Broadway debut in The Mambo Kings in 2005 as Dolores Fuentes, but the show closed after a short trial run in San Francisco. Two days after The Mambo Kings closed, de Pablo was asked to audition for NCIS. She was put alongside series star Michael Weatherly to test for chemistry during her second audition; he went offscript by brushing her hair back and commenting, "You remind me of Salma Hayek." De Pablo's response to Weatherly was to stay in character, and she "dismissed him completely." Afterwards, producer Donald Bellisario met with her when she was waiting for a cab to take her back to the airport and told her she had gotten the part.
De Pablo is best known for her role on the CBS nighttime drama NCIS as Ziva David, a former Israeli Mossad Liaison Officer, now a Special Agent for NCIS. De Pablo describes the character as "someone completely different from anyone else on the show because she's been around men all her life; she's used to men of authority. She's not afraid of men."
In 2006, she won an Imagen Award at the Imagen Foundation Awards for Best Supporting Actress in Television for NCIS. In 2008 and 2009, she was nominated for the same award. Also in 2008 and 2009, she was nominated for an ALMA Award for Outstanding Actress in a Drama Television Series for NCIS. In 2011, Pablo was nominated once again for an Imagen Award, but this time it was for Best Actress in Television, not Supporting Actress. She won the 2011 ALMA Award for Favorite Television Actress- Leading Role in Drama. 
|2000||The $treet||Fiona||Episode: "Hostile Makeover"|
|2001||The Education of Max Bickford||Gina||Episode: "Do It Yourself"|
|2002||TOCA Race Driver||Melanie Sanchez (voice)||Video game|
|2004||The Jury||Marguerite Cisneros||10 episodes|
|NCIS||Ziva David||187 episodes|
|2010||The Last Rites of Ransom Pride||Bruja|
Awards and nominations
- 2006: Won an Imagen Award for Best Supporting Actress in Television for NCIS
- 2008: Nominated for an Imagen Award for Best Supporting Actress in Television for NCIS
- 2008: Nominated for an ALMA Award for Outstanding Actress in a Drama Television Series for NCIS
- 2009: Nominated for an ALMA Award for Outstanding Actress in a Drama Television Series for NCIS
- 2009: Nominated for an Imagen Award for Best Supporting Actress in Television for NCIS
- 2011: Nominated for an Imagen Award for Best Actress in Television for NCIS
- 2011: Won an ALMA Award for Favorite Television Actress – Leading Role in a Drama for NCIS
Cote de Pablo performed a portion of Tom Waits's song "Temptation" on the NCIS episode, "Last Man Standing", which first aired in the U.S. on September 23, 2008. Her full performance of the song, including some lyrics in French, appears for the first time on NCIS: The Official TV Soundtrack, which was released on February 10, 2009.
She is also the singer in Roberto Pitre's Vivo En Vida where she sings "Samba In Prelude" and "Cry Me a River" and "Temptation".
- [p] ^ Stage name "Cote de Pablo" is pronounced "Coat-ee da Pah-blo".
- ^ Name "Ziva David" is pronounced "Zee-vah da-Veed".
- "Cote de Pablo biography". A+E Networks. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
- "CBS bio". Retrieved October 30, 2008.
- Lee Hernandez (November 4, 2010). "EXCLUSIVE: Cote de Pablo on the Chilean Miners Rescue: "In That Moment, I Felt Proud to be Chilean"". Latina. Retrieved May 31, 2013.
- Ximena Urrejola (October 6, 2009). "Detalle noticia". mer.cl (in Spanish). Retrieved July 15, 2010.
- Jacqueline Neiss (October 1, 2007). "NCIS's Cote de Pablo visits Israel". OK Magazine. p. 72. Archived from the original on October 1, 2007. Retrieved July 15, 2010.
- Lee Hernandez (February 10, 2009). "'NCIS' Star Cote de Pablo, on the Pleasures of Kicking Men's Behinds on TV". latina.com. Retrieved July 15, 2010.
- Tugend, Tom (March 15, 2007). "‘NCIS’ Mossad agent’s cover gets blown—she’s Chilean". jewishjournal.com. Retrieved July 15, 2010.
- Owen, Rob. "Prime Time - Carnegie Mellon Today". carnegiemellontoday.com. Retrieved June 26, 2011.
- Marsi, Steve (October 29, 2009). "Cote de Pablo Dishes on NCIS' Ziva and Tony". tvguide,com. Archived from the original on October 29, 2009. Retrieved June 26, 2011.
- Mason, Dave, "De Pablo adds spice to 'NCIS'", The San Diego Union-Tribune, January 3, 2006. Retrieved February 11, 2013.
- Nudd, Tim (November 29, 2010). "NCIS's Cote de Pablo Loves Her Boyfriend for Being a Bad Influence - Cote de Pablo : People.com". people.com. Retrieved June 26, 2011.
- Steely, Jon (April 2011). "Cote De Pablo The "NCIS" Special Agent Sings, Spars, Shoots, and Sleuths". venicemag.com. Retrieved June 26, 2011.
- Hahn, Kate (2011). "Cote de Pablo: Radiating Inner and Outer Beauty - Prevention.com". Prevention magazine. Retrieved June 26, 2011.
- Imagen Award 2008 Nominations. http://www.imagen.org/awards/2008/nominees
- Robertson, Willa. Alma Awards Announce Nominations. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118007694.html?categoryid=1011&cs=1
- Imagen Awards 2009 Nominations & Winners. http://www.imagen.org/awards/2009
- Imagen Awards 2011 Nominees. http://www.imagen.org/awards/2011
- Cubria, Kaitlin (July 28, 2011). "BIG Competition: Selena, Demi, Victoria and Naya Go Head-to-Head at the ALMA Awards." http://www.teen.com/selena-gomez-demi-lovato-2011-alma-awards-nominees/
- Kott, Crispin. "CD Reviews". Roll Publishing, Inc. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Cote de Pablo|