From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cotter pin may refer to:
In U.S. usage:
- Split pin, a metal fastener with two tines that are bent during installation used to fasten metal together, like with a staple or rivet
- Hairpin cotter pin, more commonly known as an "R-clip"
- Bowtie cotter pin, a vibration-proof type of R-clip that is shaped like a bowtie
- Circle cotter, a ring-shaped cotter pin
In British usage:
- Cotter (pin), in mechanical engineering a pin or wedge passing through a hole to fix parts tightly together
This usage difference is often a cause of confusion when companies of both countries work together.
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.