|Region||Pays de la Loire|
|• Mayor (2008–2014)||Jean-Pierre Fougerat|
|• Land1||44.03 km2 (17.00 sq mi)|
|• Population2 Density||420/km2 (1,100/sq mi)|
|INSEE/Postal code||44047 / 44220|
|Elevation||0–74 m (0–243 ft)|
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
Couëron is one of the 24 communes of the Urban Community of Nantes.
Couëron is located 10 miles (16 km) west of Nantes, on the North bank of the French longest river, the Loire.
It is one of the 19 towns of the agglomeration of Nantes, therefore it is part of the Urban Community of Nantes (8th most populous across France) and the "espace urbain" of Nantes-Saint-Nazaire.
Couëron's public transportation is provided by the TAN. There are four bus lines :
- line 91
- line 84
- night line J
- line Express' Couëron Town Hall - Gare maritime
The city is also accessed by a railway station (only regional journey) and a ferry which crosses the Loire so as to join the Pellerin.
The city is divided into two distinct sectors :
- Couëron downtown
- La Chabossière, a more recent borough that is nearer to Nantes.
The current mayor of Couëron is Jean-Pierre Fougerat (PS) until 2014. The municipal council has been led by a left-wing coalition since 1995. In 2008, it has been re-elected with 100% of the votes since there was no opposition.
Couëron's inhabitants massively vote for left parties in presidential and legislative elections. In the 2012 presidential election, François Hollande (PS) received an astonishing 68.83% of the vote in the second round against then-President, Nicolas Sarkozy (UMP).
Couëron is twinned with the following places:
Couëron is one of the most cosmopolitan towns of Loire-Atlantique. This is mainly due to an important Polish community that immigrated in the early 1930s, and the presence of many people of Spanish ancestry that flew the civil war in Spain.
The latest census data show that the town has 18,591 inhabitants (2010), what makes Couëron the sixth most populous city of Loire-Atlantique. What is more, the population is to increase rapidly and to pass the 20,000 inhabitants mark thanks to a vast project of residential construction.
The population of Couëron is younger than the national average. The proportion of people above 60 years old is lower than in France (19.6% vs. 22.7%).
Born in Couëron
- John Baptist Mary David (1761-1841), Bishop of Bardstown
- Francis II of Britanny (1433-1488), last Duke of Britanny, father of famous Duchess Anna of Britanny
- Thibault Quéré, wealthy businessman
- Alcide d'Orbigny (1802- 1857), French naturalist.
- Tony Meilhon, murderer of 18-year-old Laetitia Perrais who died on January 19, 2011 after being strangled, stabbed and dismembered by the criminal. Her dead body was found buried at the bottom of a lake near Pornic, Loire-Atlantique.
Notes and references
- Official website (in French)