Council of Benevento
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Council of Benevento may mean one of a number of Councils, or more accurately in some cases synods, of the Roman Catholic Church.
- Synod of Benevento (1087): Pope Victor III condemned lay investiture.
- Council of Benevento (1091): Pope Urban II held councils at Melfi (1089), Benevento and Troia (1093).
- Synod of Benevento (1108), Synod of Benevento (1113), Synod of Benevento (1117): Pope Paschal II
- Here Gregorian decrees against simony and lay investiture were restated, and likewise the excommunication of the 'heresiarch' Wibert of Ravenna…, I. S. Robinson, The Papacy 1073-1198 (1990), p.414.
- … by which the reform papacy eventually regained the obedience of western Christendom. Robinson, p. 374.