Council of Europe resolution 1481
In the resolution 1481/2006 of the Council of Europe Parliamentary Assembly (PACE) issued on January 25, 2006 during its winter session, the Council of Europe "strongly condemns crimes of totalitarian communist regimes".
It condemned "the massive human rights violations committed by totalitarian communist regimes and expressed sympathy, understanding and recognition for the victims of these crimes". It also said these violations "included individual and collective assassinations and executions, death in concentration camps, starvation, deportations, torture, slave labour and other forms of mass physical terror.".
The full draft recommendation by rapporteur Göran Lindblad was issued with great majority by the Political Affairs committee. However, it did not receive the necessary two-thirds majority of the votes cast in the Parliamentary Assembly. The group of communist parties strongly opposed the resolution. The resolution was supported by the EPP/CD, ED, liberal groups and some social democrats, especially from countries like Hungary, the Czech Republic or the Baltic countries.
Final voting results
153 members were present and voted (out of 317)
99 members voted in favor of the Resolution 1481
42 members voted against the Resolution 1481
12 members abstained from voting.
- European Public Hearing on Crimes Committed by Totalitarian Regimes
- Prague Declaration on European Conscience and Communism
- Declaration on Crimes of Communism
- European Day of Remembrance for Victims of Stalinism and Nazism
- Vilnius Declaration
- Need for international condemnation of crimes of totalitarian communist regimes (full draft of the Political Affairs Committee)
- Russians In Support of the Idea of International Condemnation of Communism (An Open Letter from Leaders of Russian Anti-communist Organizations to the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe)
- Res. 1481
- Press release
-  3A//assembly.coe.int/Documents/WorkingDocs/Doc03/EDOC9875.htm]
-  link=/Documents/WorkingDocs/Doc05/EDOC10765.htm]