Council of Science Editors
The Council of Science Editors (CSE) is a United States-based nonprofit organization that supports editorial practice among scientific writers. In 2008, the CSE adopted the slogan “CSE: Education, Ethics, and Evidence for Editors (E4).”
History and organization
The organisation was established in 1957 by the National Science Foundation and the American Institute of Biological Sciences as the Council of Biology Editors (CBE), being renamed as the 'Council of Science Editors' on January 1, 2000.
The membership of CSE comprises editorial professionals, mainly in the United States.
As well as services and advice online, CSE holds an annual meeting that includes short courses on topics such as journal editorship, publication management, manuscript editing, and journal metrics.
CSE policies and endorsements
The CSE offers guidance on ethics and practice in scientific publishing.
- CSE editorial policy statements
- Retreat and task force papers
- Other statements supported by CSE
The CSE publishes a style guide for scientific papers, though it is not widely used. The 7th edition was published in June 2006 (Scientific Style and Format: The CSE Manual for Authors, Editors, and Publishers; an earlier edition was titled Scientific Style and Format: The CBE Manual for Authors, Editors, and Publishers.
- List of style guides
- Chicago Manual of Style
- APA style
- Association of American Publishers
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Institute of Biological Sciences
- Association for Learned and Professional Society Publishers
- American Medical Writers Association
- Board of Editors in the Life Sciences (BELS)
- Committee on Publication Ethics
- European Association of Science Editors
- National Association of Science Writers
- Uniform Requirements for Manuscripts Submitted to Biomedical Journals
- World Association of Medical Editors
- CSE Quick Citation Guide, Pennsylvania State University Libraries.
- History of the Council of Science Editors, © 2013 Council of Science Editors.
- III. Council of Science Editors (CSE) Style, University of Louisiana at Monroe library website.
- Citation Style Guides, Iowa State University
- Scientific Style and Format: The CSE Manual for Authors, Editors, and Publishers, ISBN 0-9779665-0-X, 680 pages.
- Scientific Style and Format: The CBE Manual for Authors, Editors, and Publishers, 6th edition, 1994, ISBN 0-521-47154-0