Council of State of Oman
|This article is part of the series:
Politics and government of
The Council of State (Majlis al-Dawla) is the upper house of the Council of Oman.
It was established by Royal Decree No. 86/97 on December 16th 1997.
The State Council is appointed by the Head of State for a 4 year term. The members are mainly former government ministers, undersecretaries, ambassadors, senior military and police officers, tribal leaders, dignitaries and academics.
The objectives of the State Council are enumerated in Article 17 of establishment decree which states that "the State Council shall assist the Government to implement the overall development strategy and shall contribute in deepening the roots of the Omani society, maintaining the achievements and ascertaining the principles of the basic law of the state".
The State Council is officially responsible for:
- Preparing studies which contribute to the implementation of development plans and programs and assist in finding appropriate solutions to economic and social challenges.
- Submitting recommendations for encouraging investments in the production, services and resources development sectors.
- Submitting studies and recommendations related to human resources development and the enhancement of administrative efficiency of the state organs in order to meet national objectives.
- Passing on bills from the lower house, with the exception of some specific laws that necessitate their referral directly to the Sultan. The Council also submits its recommendations on draft laws that are referred to it by the Government of Oman.
- Studying issues of national interest that are referred to it by the Sultan or the Government.
The State Council functions through a Council’s Bureau, and Specialized Committees. All other support services are provided by the Secretariat General.
The council has five permanent committees at present:
- Legal Committee
- Economic Committee
- Social Committee
- Human Resources Development Committee
- Committee for the Follow up of the Implementation of Development Plans
See also 
- Official Site of Council of State of Oman