Countdown (2011 film)
|Directed by||Huh Jong-ho|
|Produced by||Oh Jung-wan
|Written by||Huh Jong-ho|
|Distributed by||Sidus FNH|
|Running time||119 minutes|
Countdown (Hangul: 카운트다운; RR: Kawoonteudawoon) is a 2011 caper film that takes the audience on an entertaining journey through the underbelly of South Korea. Starring two of the country's top actors Jeon Do-yeon and Jung Jae-young, this highly assured debut feature by Huh Jong-ho premiered at the 2011 Toronto International Film Festival.
Tae Gun-ho (Jung Jae-young) is the best collection agent in his firm, admired by his colleagues and dreaded by those he visits. He’s known for gathering his debts by any means necessary, and keeps a cattle prod handy while on the job. Following a series of unexpected fainting spells, Tae is told by a doctor that he has liver cancer, and would need a transplant to have any chance of surviving beyond three months. And so he puts his professional skills to work, setting out to collect a different sort of debt by tracking down the recipients of organs donated by his late son. First among his sources for a liver is Cha Ha-yeon (Jeon Do-yeon), a beguiling fraudster with a long list of enemies.
Locating Cha turns out to be easy, since she’s about to be released from prison. The deal she proposes, however, which includes getting even with the sleazy crime boss who set her up, jeopardizes Tae’s future. He struggles desperately to keep Cha, and her liver, safe until the transplant — even while Cha has other plans.
- Jeon Do-yeon as Cha Ha-yeon
- Jung Jae-young as Tae Gun-ho
- Min as Jang Hyeon-ji
- Lee Geung-young as Jo Myung-suk
- Oh Man-seok as Swy
- Kim Dong-wook as Nalpari ("gnat")
- Jung Man-sik as department head Han
- Kwon Hyuk-joon as Yoo-min
- Kim Kwang-kyu as Detective Park
- Kim Jong-goo as Director Yang
- Oh Kwang-rok as Dr. Song
- Bae Sung-woo as Dr. Ahn
- Choi Jong-ryul as Gun-ho's father
- Park Hye-jin as Gun-ho's mother
- Bae Yoon-beom as team leader Hong
- Noh Hyun-jung as CEO of CMC
- Kim Min-jae as Dong office clerk
- Jung Hye-sun as granny money lender (cameo)
- Song Hye-kyo as pretty girl (cameo)
- "Countdown (2011)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 2012-10-08.
- Hong, Lucia (16 May 2011). "Jeon Do-youn, Jung Jae-young finish shooting new action flick". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Toronto film festival takes 'Countdown'". Korean Film Biz Zone. 27 July 2011. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Countdown". TIFF.net. Retrieved on 2011-09-08.
- "Cannes Winner Jeon Hopes 'Countdown' a Commercial Hit". The Chosun Ilbo. 1 October 2011. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Beck, Una (21 October 2011). "INTERVIEW: Actress Jeon Do-youn - Part 1". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Beck, Una (21 October 2011). "INTERVIEW: Actress Jeon Do-youn - Part 2". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.