Counter-Strike Online 2
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2014)|
|This article is outdated. (September 2014)|
|Counter-Strike Online 2|
|Genre(s)||Massively multiplayer online first-person shooter game|
Counter-Strike Online 2 (abbreviated as CSO2) is a first-person shooter video game and is the sequel to the 2008 game Counter-Strike Online. It is targeted towards Asia's gaming market. The game implements the Source engine allowing for better graphics compared to its predecessor and more complex equipment and weapons. The game uses the free-to-play and micropayment business model, similar to its predecessor. After a period of open beta testing, it was released in December 2013 in South Korea and China.
Counter-Strike Online 2 is a heavily modified and expanded version of Counter-Strike: Source with enhanced graphics and user interface, greatly inspired from Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. With the new updated modes, maps and weapons, Counter-Strike Online 2 is promising a better environment to play.
There are several modes introduced in Counter-Strike Online 2:
- Hostage rescue: The Counter-Terrorists must locate and bring back hostages to a safe zone or eliminate all the Terrorists.
- Bomb defuse: The Terrorists must destroy one of the two bombsites in the map with a C4 or eliminate all the Counter-Terrorists.
- Stealth: This mode is similar to the previous modes, except the Terrorists are half-invisible and can only use melee weapons and grenades.
- Team Deathmatch: Eliminate the opposing force until the reaching the kill limit. Killed players will respawn in 5 seconds.
- Gun Deathmatch: Level up with the given weapon and reach the max level to win.
- Pig: Shoot at the enemies to increase your health points. When it reaches 3000, you will turn into a pig that has a very high speed and damage.
- Coop: A mission mode where the players are given task to complete. Some of them are protect confidential documents, destroy enemy vehicles and survive until the end.
Maps in this game are taken from Counter-Strike: Source. Some are heavily modified in term of graphics, such as Dust II, Inferno, and Italy. The game also adds its own exclusive maps.
The weapons are taken from Counter-Strike: Source as well as adding new weapons. The weapon models are heavily modified and reanimated. They are separated into pistols, shotguns, submachine guns, assault rifles, sniper rifles and machine guns.
Some weapons can be obtained for free while the others can be obtained for points and achievements. Some weapons need the player to collect the given kill points to unlock them.
The characters are revamped, with default characters SAS and GIGN for Counter-Terrorists while Elite Crew and Arctic Avengers for Terrorists. Female characters are also used, a feature introduced in its prequel.
Nexon Corporation sees an opportunity to expand their franchise after the success of Counter-Strike Online for Asia countries, thus stating working on Counter-Strike Online 2. However, original Counter-Strike Online will be ran normally and will not do any effect.
Counter-Strike Online 2 is fully developed by Nexon Corporation of South Korea with the basic of Counter-Strike: Source by Valve Corporation. It was stated to run a closed beta test on 16 November 2011 and open beta test on June 2013. The game was successfully ended the beta stage on December 2013 and now running on its own.
- Mallory, Jordan (2012-04-06). "Nexon, Valve announce Counter-Strike Online 2 for Asian territories". Joystiq. Retrieved 2013-04-01.