Country Must Be Country Wide
|"Country Must Be Country Wide"|
|Single by Brantley Gilbert|
|from the album Halfway to Heaven|
|Released||April 25, 2011|
|Label||Valory Music Group|
|Writer(s)||Brantley Gilbert, Colt Ford, Mike Dekle|
|Brantley Gilbert singles chronology|
"Country Must Be Country Wide" is a song co-written and recorded by American country rock artist Brantley Gilbert. It was released in April 2011 as the first single from the deluxe edition of his 2010 album Halfway to Heaven.
In the song, Gilbert sings about the country music fanbase, saying that it is not limited to the Southern United States. Gilbert told Taste of Country that he wrote the song while on tour with country rap artist Colt Ford. Ford told Country Weekly that, while touring through Ohio, he realized that "there are rednecks everywhere[…]I was like, 'those people are all just like us, but they just sound different.'" Gilbert added that while in Ohio, he saw a man exit a truck while dressed in a cowboy hat and boots, which inspired the first verse of the song.
Dan MacIntosh of Country Standard Time thought that the song "lives up to that 'up to 11' promise" that he thought was established in the songs that Gilbert wrote for Jason Aldean ("Dirt Road Anthem" and "My Kinda Party"). Kevin John Coyne gave the single a negative review stating, "This song is about as country as "Wanted Dead or Alive" anyway.
The music video was directed by Shane Drake and premiered in mid-2011.
The song debuted on the Hot Country Songs chart at No. 44 for the chart date April 23, 2011, and eventually reached No. 1 on that chart on December 3, 2011. It debuted on the Billboard Hot 100 at No. 100 on July 9, 2011, eventually reaching No. 50 the same week it reach No. 1 on the Hot Country Songs chart. The song was certified Platinum by the RIAA on March 25, 2014, and reached its million sales mark in the U.S. in June 2014.
Charts and certifications
by Taylor Swift
|Billboard Hot Country Songs
December 3, 2011
"We Owned the Night"
by Lady Antebellum
- Hensel, Amanda (27 May 2011). "Brantley Gilbert, ‘Country Must Be Country Wide’ – Lyrics Uncovered". Taste of Country. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- Conaway, Alanna (24 October 2011). "Behind the Song: There Are Rednecks Everywhere". Country Weekly 18 (43): 16. ISSN 1074-3235.
- MacIntosh, Dan. "Halfway to Heaven". Country Standard Time. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- Wade Jessen (December 3, 2011), "The Right Stuff", Billboard: 32
- Paul Grein (June 18, 2014). "Chart Watch: PSY & Snoop Attack Your Brain Cells". Chart Watch (Yahoo Music).
- "Brantley Gilbert Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Brantley Gilbert.
- "Brantley Gilbert Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Brantley Gilbert.
- "Brantley Gilbert Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Brantley Gilbert.
- "Best of 2011: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2011. Retrieved December 10, 2011.
- "Best of 2012: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2012. Retrieved December 14, 2012.
- "American single certifications – Brantley Gilbert – Country Must Be Country Wide". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved 2 February 2012. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH