Coupe de Ville (film)
|Coupe de Ville|
|Directed by||Joe Roth|
|Produced by||James G. Robinson
|Written by||Mike Binder|
|Music by||James Newton Howard|
|Edited by||Paul Hirsch|
|Distributed by||Universal Pictures|
Coupe de Ville is a 1990 American comedy-drama film directed by Joe Roth. It stars Daniel Stern, Arye Gross, and Patrick Dempsey as three very different brothers asked by their father to drive the titular Cadillac Coupe DeVille from Detroit to Miami.
Meet the Libner brothers: Marvin (Daniel Stern), the oldest, is a sergeant in the U.S. Air Force. Buddy (Arye Gross), the middle child, is a timid dreamer. Bobby (Patrick Dempsey), the youngest, is a handsome rebel in reform school. As kids, they fought a lot and as adults, they barely speak to each other. In the summer of 1963, their tough and eccentric father, Fred (Alan Arkin), gives them a task: to bring a 1954 Cadillac, bought for their mother, Betty (Rita Taggart), from Detroit to Miami. As the trip goes on, the three brothers fight and begin to reconnect with each other, while trying to keep the Caddy in mint condition.
- Patrick Dempsey as Robert "Bobby" Libner
- Arye Gross as Buddy Libner
- Daniel Stern as Marvin Libner
- Alan Arkin as Fred "Pop" Libner
- Rita Taggart as Betty Libner
- Annabeth Gish as Tammy
- Joseph Bologna as Uncle Phil Libner
- James Gammon as Dr. Sturgeon, the Cadillac Surgeon
- Ray Lykins as Rick
- Chris Lombardi as Raymond
- Josh Segal as Billy Sturgeon
Release and reception
Coupe de Ville received moderate reviews.
Cadillac used the "Coupe De Ville" model name for the two-door hardtop for 1954, not the convertible. The Cadillac in the movie was actually a "Series 62 Convertible."
The film was a box office failure; in its opening weekend (3/9–11), it didn't even make the charts, only grossing $66,871. In the end, Coupe de Ville only opened in 170 theaters and made $715,983 in the US.
- Coupe de Ville at the Internet Movie Database
- Coupe de Ville at AllMovie
- Coupe de Ville at Box Office Mojo
- Coupe de Ville at Rotten Tomatoes