Coupon Mountain is a website that provides deals and promotional codes to people who are shopping online. Founded in 2001 by entrepreneurs Harry Tsao and Talmadge O’Neill, Coupon Mountain began as one of the two original website properties for MeziMedia, which was acquired by ValueClick for up to $352 million. MeziMedia was renamed to ValueClick Brands in 2010. In November 2013, ValueClick sold its O&O properties to IAC. ValueClick Brands is headquartered approximately 20 miles east of Los Angeles in Monrovia, California.
In addition to its United States base, Coupon Mountain has international sites in the United Kingdom, Germany, and China. The Chinese website goes by the brand name Dahongbao, which translates to big red envelope or the gift of cash that elders give to young people during Chinese New Year.
In 2008, Coupon Mountain held 14% of the total market-share for coupon websites.
Products and services
Through affiliate marketing partnerships with major retailers including Target, Walmart, Kohl's, HP, and Nordstrom, Coupon Mountain supplies coupon codes, printable coupons, discounts, and free shipping offers to online shoppers. In contrast to daily deal sites like Groupon or LivingSocial, Coupon Mountain's model replicates a newspaper circular that aggregates coupons and promotions from various merchants.
The website's services are available free of charge, without requiring registration. On the Coupon Mountain website, users can subscribe to email notifications by store, a weekly newsletter, and RSS feeds. Coupon Mountain has 16 categories: arts & collectibles; automotive; babies & kids; books; music & video; clothing & shoes; computers; consumer electronics, flowers & gifts, food & beverages; health & beauty; home & garden; jewelry & watches; office& business; pet supplies; toys; games & sports; and travel.
In 2008, The Wall Street Journal and The Washington Post listed Coupon Mountain as one of the most popular coupons and deals sources online. Coupon Mountain has received additional press coverage on CNN, MSNBC, and The Chicago Tribune.
- Mezimedia | CrunchBase Profile
- ValueClick Acquires Comparison Shopping Operator MeziMedia For Up To $352million | TechCrunch
- ValueClick Brands, Inc.: Private Company Information - Businessweek
- Americans become more interested in coupons - Research - BizReport
- Where to find coupons online - Marshall Loeb's Daily Money Tip - MarketWatch
- Hoak, Amy (June 15, 2008). "Surfing the Web to Save on Food." The Wall Street Journal. Accessed December 2011.
- Tuesday Tips: Using Coupons - Shop To It
- How to get the best prices - CNN.com
- Save now! 10 tips to be a better coupon sleuth - Money - 10 Tips - TODAY.com
- Topic Galleries - chicagotribune.com
- Kuchinskas, Susan (August 10, 2005). "Shopping Search: Right on the Money". Internetnews.com. Retrieved December 5, 2011.
- Web of Trust (July 24, 2009). "Web of Trust Scorecard: Coupon Mountain". . Retrieved December 14, 2011.