|Full name||Courtenay Dempsey|
|Date of birth||28 August 1987|
|Place of birth||Mount Isa, Queensland|
|Original team||Morningside (NEAFL)|
|Draft||#19, 2005 National Draft, Essendon|
|Height/Weight||187 cm / 85 kg|
1 Playing statistics correct to end of 2014 season.
Dempsey began playing football in Cairns, where he played with the Manunda Hawks in the AFL Cairns competition. He later moved to Brisbane to play with the Kenmore Bears junior football club while also playing for his school Brisbane Boys' College.
Dempsey's professional footballing career has been dogged by injuries. In 2008 he suffered a leg stress fracture and in 2011 he tore his knee anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in round four and needed a knee reconstruction. In August 2013 he tore his hamstring tendon, and will miss at least four weeks leading into the finals.
Dempsey had a rocky start to the 2014 season after struggling with injuries, then unfortunately being suspended from the main playing group after a progression of behavioral issues. However Dempsey did his time and came back into the senior side and looked to build for a big second half of the season. His run and carry and precision skills continued to be vital across half-back for the Essendon side.
|Totals||Averages (per game)|
- AFL Record. Round 9,2009. Slattery Publishing. pg 75.
- Horan, Michael; Pierik, Jon (2 May 2008). "Dempsey, Gumbleton join Essendon's wounded". Herald Sun.
- Walsh, Courtney (18 April 2011). "Dons crushed as star duo gone for year". The Australian.
- "Courtenay Dempsey hamstring damage is serious". The Age. AAP. 6 August 2013.
- "Courtenay Dempsey statistics". AFL Tables. Retrieved 8 October 2012.
- "Courtenay Dempsey of the Essendon Bombers Career AFL Stats". footywire.com. Retrieved 8 October 2012.
- Courtenay Dempsey's profile on the official website of the Essendon Football Club
- Courtenay Dempsey's statistics from AFL Tables