Stodden in Santa Ana, California
on April 27, 2013
|Born||Courtney Alexis Stodden
August 29, 1994
Tacoma, Washington, United States
|Spouse(s)||Doug Hutchison (m. 2011–2013)|
Courtney Alexis Stodden was born on August 29, 1994, in Tacoma, Washington, to Alex John Stodden and Krista Kay Keller Stodden, the youngest of their three daughters. Stodden describes her childhood as "beautiful and fun", stating that she was "extremely spoiled, in a good way".
Stodden says that she dropped out of high school because she was bullied over "the way she looks", and finished her education by being home schooled through an online private Christian academy.
Stodden's manager is her mother, Krista Stodden.
The couple appeared as cast members in the second season of the VH1 reality television series Couples Therapy, which premiered in October 2012. The series features publicly known couples receive therapy for relationship problems. According to Stodden, the couple enrolled in therapy in order to resolve issues that arose in their marriage from their age difference. Despite the criticism leveled at the couple, and her own reservations about the dynamic of their relationship, Dr. Jenn Berman, the Marriage, Family, and Child Therapist who worked with the couple during their appearance on the show, stressed that she does not believe that Hutchison is, or was, seeking out young people, saying, "He's not a predator. He's not someone, who if Courtney left him, would be trolling the Internet or high schools for underage girls. That's not his m.o. This is not a guy who was seeking out teenagers. He was teaching a class, she wanted to be an actress, it was an acting class... And that’s how it started."
Though Berman was eventually surprised by the dynamic between the two, she commented on her initial hesitations about working with the couple, saying, "I believe it was the wrong decision to let a 16-year-old marry a man in his 50s. It’s uncomfortable to see... [at first] I said to my producer, ‘I think this guy is a pedophile...I don’t know if I can work with these people.’ I don’t condone it, but I do see that this is a married couple that is genuinely married and they have marital issues that needed to be worked on. I came in saying, 'She’s a victim, he’s a predator.' What I found out was that she has a lot more power in this relationship and he is far more powerless than I expected. His family has completely disowned him... He unfortunately has nothing besides her." Hutchison was also defended by Stodden's mother, Krista Keller, who praised Hutchison for the kindness with which he treats Stodden.
In August 2013, Stodden became a housemate on the twelfth season of the British version of Celebrity Big Brother but was evicted on Day 21, two days before the season finale, after receiving the least amount of votes to save against Carol McGiffin, Louie Spence, Mario Falcone and Vicky Entwistle.
Stodden is a vegetarian, having chosen the diet due to being lactose intolerant and because she "never felt right eating animals before". She began the diet a month prior to filming "Playing By The Rules", an October 2012 episode of Couples Therapy's second season. Stodden has attempted to follow a vegan diet, but chose instead to follow a vegetarian diet due to fewer food restrictions. She has promoted the vegetarian lifestyle on PETA's behalf.
Relationship with Doug Hutchison
At age 16, the aspiring country music and pop music singer signed up on the Internet for an acting workshop taught by actor Doug Hutchison, on the recommendation of a friend of her maternal aunt, who worked in Hollywood, and knew Hutchison. Hutchison, who did not realize that she was a teenager, began a courtship with her over the Internet that lasted between four and six months, during which they fell in love before having met in person. After Hutchison became aware of Stodden’s age, he told her mother, Krista, who had monitored their online exchanges, and was aware of their relationship and their age difference, that he would cease his relationship with Stodden if her parents disapproved. Her parents, citing Stodden’s "devout Christianity", allowed her to make her own decision.
On May 20, 2011, Stodden married Hutchison in Las Vegas, Nevada. Stodden was his third wife. Their relationship drew controversy and criticism, as Stodden was 16 when she married 51-year-old Hutchison, who has been labeled a "pedophile" and "predator". According to Hutchison, as a result of his marriage to Stodden, his agent quit, his family disowned him and he received death threats.
On November 1, 2013, the media reported that Stodden and Hutchison were ending their marriage of two and a half years. Stodden later told Fox News that their 34-year age gap was a primary contributing factor for their divorce. In a subsequent interview, Stodden said that the split and impending divorce was amicable, that Hutchison was continuing to co-manage her career, and that the experience of their marriage didn't sour her on older men. On November 9, 2013, the two signed a legal separation document. The document said though they confirmed terms of their legal separation, they would continue to live together at their residence.
- "Car Candy" (2010)
- "Crazy" (2010)
- "Don't Put It On Me Girl" (2010)
- "Reality" (2012)
Promotional music videos
- "Doug Hutchison and Courtney Stodden Talk Marriage". E! News/YouTube. July 19, 2011.
- "Marriage License/Certificate scan of Doug Hutchison and Courtney Stodden". Radar Online.[dead link] Archived from RadarOnline's article 16-Year-Old Bride and 51-Year-Old Hubby’s Marriage License & Certificate! 2011-06-22.
- "Putting Love to the Test". Couples Therapy. Season 2. Episode 8. November 14, 2012. VH1. http://www.vh1.com/video/couples-therapy/full-episodes/putting-love-to-the-test/1697364/playlist.jhtml.
- "Playing By the Rules". Couples Therapy. Season 2. Episode 5. October 31, 2012. VH1. http://www.vh1.com/video/couples-therapy/full-episodes/playing-by-the-rules/1696678/playlist.jhtml.
- Marika, Sheila (June 21, 2011). "Actor Doug Hutchison, 51, Weds Aspiring Country Singer Courtney Alexis Stodden, 16". ABC News.
- "Season Finale". Couples Therapy. Season 2. Episode 10. November 29, 2012. VH1.
- Father Albert. Season 1. July 20, 2011. Fox.
- Ellis, Angela; Ghebremedhin, Sabina (July 15, 2011). "Exclusive: Doug Hutchison, 51, and Courtney Stodden, 16, Dish on Controversial Marriage". Nightline. ABC News.
- Finn, Natalie (July 19, 2011). "Green Mile's Doug Hutchison & Teen Bride Courtney Stodden Talk Virginity, Surgery and That Age Gap". E! News.
- Beard, Lanford (October 3, 2012). "'Couples Therapy': Courtney Stodden teases 'vicious energy' in season 2". Entertainment Weekly.
- "'I'm about to hit my threshold': Doug Hutchison, 52, breaks down on Couple's Therapy as underage wife Courtney stands him up". Daily Mail. October 23, 2012. "The session starts with comments by lead therapist Dr Jen Berman, who says that while she still questions the dynamics of Courtney and Doug's relationship, 'What I do know is that if the animosity between Nik and Doug continues, it's going to distract from everyone's therapy'."
- Spero, Jesse (October 9, 2012). "Couples Therapy’s Dr. Jenn Berman: Doug Hutchison Is ‘Not A Predator’". Access Hollywood.
- Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson (March 18, 2014). "50 Cent - Don't Worry Bout It (Official Music Video) - TI50". This is 50.
- ""I'm Lactose". Couples Therapy: Ep. 6: "Playing By The Rules" Bonus Clips". VH1. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- "Courtney Stodden Wants You to Read the Bible". Gawker. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- Vultaggio, Maria. "Courtney Stodden's Sexy Thanksgiving Photo Shoot For PETA". IB Times. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- "Green Mile's Doug Hutchison, 51, Marries Aspiring Country Singer, 16". US Weekly. June 20, 2011.
- Note: The ABC News citation indicates that the courtship was four months. However, the interview between Dr. Jenn Berman and Stodden's mother, Krista, that occurred in Couples Therapy Episode 2.8 indicated that it was five or six.
- Cutié, Alberto. "Father Albert: Was Courtney a Virgin Before She Married Doug?". FatherAlbertShow. YouTube. July 20, 2011.
- Nsenduluka, Benge (October 5, 2012). "'Couples Therapy' Doug Hutchison Called 'Pedophile' Over Marriage to Courtney Stodden". The Christian Post.
- "Episode #2.1". Couples Therapy. Season 2. Episode 1. October 3, 2012. VH1.
- Hayner, Chris E. (November 1, 2013). "Courtney Stodden and Doug Hutchison ending marriage after 2 years". Zap2it. Retrieved November 2, 2013.
- Bogursky, Sasha (November 18, 2013). "Courtney Stodden spills on split: George Clooney and 'Bachelorette' in teen's future?". Fox News.
- "'I wanted my freedom!': Courtney Stodden, 19, reveals why she split from Doug Hutchison, 53". Daily Mail. November 9, 2013. Retrieved November 9, 2013.
- "EXCLUSIVE: Courtney Stodden and Doug Hutchison make their split official with separation agreement ... as teen bride betrays her age with heart signature". Daily Mail. November 10, 2013. Retrieved 11 November 2013.
- Courtney Stodden - Car Candy on YouTube. July 28, 2010.
- Courtney Alexis Stodden
- Courtney Stodden - Crazy on YouTube. December 24, 2010.
- Courtney Stodden - Don't Put It On Me on YouTube. July 28, 2010.
- Courtney Stodden
- Courtney Stodden - Hurting People on YouTube. July 28, 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Courtney Stodden.|