||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2012)|
Courtney Taylor-Taylor performing live with The Dandy Warhols in 2003
|Birth name||Courtney Taylor|
|Born||July 20, 1967|
|Origin||Portland, Oregon, United States|
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, drums|
|Associated acts||The Dandy Warhols, The Beauty Stab, Nero's Rome, One Model Nation|
Courtney A. Taylor (born 20 July 1967), known as Courtney Taylor-Taylor, is an American singer-songwriter from Portland, Oregon. He is the lead singer and guitarist of alternative rock band The Dandy Warhols, a band he co-founded. The majority of the band's songs are written by Taylor-Taylor, including hits "We Used to Be Friends" and "Bohemian Like You". Taylor-Taylor co-wrote a graphic novel titled One Model Nation about a fictional 1970s German krautrock band, which was released in 2009. This was accompanied by a studio album titled Totalwerks, Vol. 1 (1969-1977), a fake greatest hits album by the fictional band, released in 2012.
Taylor-Taylor attended Sunset High School in Beaverton, a suburb of Portland and studied sociology, psychology and music at Cascade College, also in Portland. He recalls sticking out as a teenager: "You don't fit in if you're a make-up-wearing weirdo, surrounded by large, clumsy guys and cheerleaders." He found refuge in the work of Friedrich Nietzsche and Kurt Vonnegut. It was here he met future bandmate Peter Holmström. After graduating, he worked as a mechanic while playing drums for the local band Nero's Rome. He was also the drummer in the Portland-based glam rock-pop band The Beauty Stab.
Taylor-Taylor informally added the second "Taylor" to his last name around 1999.
Like his cousin and bandmate Brent DeBoer, Taylor-Taylor is of Dutch ancestry.
Taylor-Taylor appeared in an episode of the second season of the TV show Veronica Mars, "Cheatty Cheatty Bang Bang", performing the song "Love Hurts". He appeared in the 2009 music documentary film The Heart Is a Drum Machine as well as a 2011 episode of the Australian music quiz television show Spicks and Specks.
- "BMI". bmi.com. Retrieved 29 July 2012.
- Diaz, Silva (16 May 2003). "Fast And Louche". independent.co.uk. Retrieved 8 March 2012.
- Clarke, SP (2011). "History of Portland Rock 7 : spclarke.com". spclarke.com. Retrieved 29 July 2012.
- "The Dandy Warhols - A Hard Day's Night (live acoustic in SF) - YouTube". YouTube. 3 October 2006. Retrieved 29 July 2012.
- "Cheatty Cheatty Bang Bang". Veronica Mars. Season 2. Episode 3. 12 October 2005. CBS.
- "Courtney Taylor-Taylor - IMDb". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 29 July 2012.
- "Episode Eleven". Spicks and Specks. 20 July 2011. ABC.
- "Rock Stars". paul-miles.com. Retrieved 14 October 2011.
- Courtney Taylor-Taylor at the Internet Movie Database
- The Dandy Warhols' official website
- One Model Nation website
- Interview with Courtney Taylor-Taylor (via Talk Rock To Me) April 20, 2012