|Motto||Raising a New Generation of Leaders|
|Established||21st October, 2002|
|Chancellor||Dr. David Oyedepo|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Charles Ayo|
|Location||Ota, Ogun State, Nigeria|
Covenant University is located in Ota, Ogun State in Nigeria. It is a Private Christian University and a member of the Association of Commonwealth Universities. In January 2015, it was ranked as the best university in Nigeria according to Webometrics.
- 1 History
- 2 Governance
- 3 Academic programmes
- 4 Campus
- 5 Notable alumni
- 6 Notable faculty
- 7 Vice chancellors
- 8 Criticism
- 9 References
- 10 External links
On October 21, 2002, Covenant University opened. Covenant University is located in Canaan Land, Ota, Ogun State. CU is a University, founded on a Christian (specifically, Pentecostal) mission ethos. Covenant University (CU) is a product of the Liberation Commission. The drive to embark on the process of founding CU came about October 1999, one month after the dedication of Faith Tabernacle, ota, Nigeria, the largest church auditorium in the world, built in one year with only local resources. Covenant University was established by the World Mission Agency (an arm of the Living Faith Church Worldwide, also known as Winners' Chapel). David Oyedepo, the founder and presiding Bishop of Winners' Chapel, is Chancellor of the University.
World Mission Agency (WMA), a Christian mission organization, (an arm of Living Faith Church World Wide founded by Dr. David Oyedepo) is the proprietor of Covenant University. In his capacity as the visioner of the University, Dr. Oyedepo serves as the life Chancellor of the University and the Chairman of the Board of Trustee of World Mission Agency. It is the Board of Trustee of World Mission Agency that appoints members and also elects the Chairman of the Board of Regents (Governing Council) of Covenant University. The Board is the apex governing body of the University.
The Chancellor of the University, Bishop Dr. David Oyedepo is the Chief Executive Officer of the University. He also serves as the Chairman of the Board of Regents.
This office no longer exists in Covenant University.
The Pro chancellor of the University, Pastor Abraham Ojeme. His appointment took effect from September 2013. This was announced by the Chancellor and Chairman, Board of Regents, Dr. David Oyedepo at a Chancellor’s special meeting with the University’s enlarged Management team on September 23, 2013. The Chancellor said the appointment will facilitate decision making and approval process in the University as well as spiritual oversight of the University community. According to the job description read by the Chancellor, the Pro-Chancellor will represent the interest of the proprietors on behalf of the Chancellor by providing visionary, spiritual and administrative oversight for the University through qualitative pursuit of her vision and mission while serving as the custodian of her culture and values.
The current Vice-Chancellor is Professor Charles Ayo, who replaced Professor Aize Obayan in 2012. The Vice-Chancellor is the Chief Academic Officer of the University. In this capacity, he/she is the Chief Responsibility Officer for University’s operations. Academic administration is planted firmly in the highest academic authority of the university which is the Senate. The Vice Chancellor is the Chairman of University Senate and exercises all powers granted him/her in the law that established the University in respect of guiding and directing the university’s academic activities. He/She holds in trust the Chancellor’s executive responsibilities and authority in all areas where the Chancellor so delegates. He/She also serves as a member of the Board of Regents.
Deputy Vice Chancellors
Former The Office of the Deputy Vice Chancellor (Academic)no longer exist.
Present The Deputy Vice Chancellor is responsible to the Vice Chancellor. The office provide Academic and Administrative Leadership support for the Vice Chancellor by ensuring excellent and harmonious discharge of responsibilities assigned to him.
Dr. Olumuyiwa Oludayo is the current registrar of Covenant University. Also the youngest registrar in Africa, He is the Chief Administrative Officer of the University and oversees the administrative efficiency of the university engaging historical records and regulations. The Registrar chairs the University's Administrative Board, which serves as the university's apex administrative organ and clearance house for all operational issues. He monitors rules, regulations and policies as well as make recommendations on policies to both Senate and Board of Regents where he/she serves as Secretary.
- Deans of Colleges
- Deputy Deans of Schools
- Director of Physical Planning and Development
- Director of the Centre for Learning Resources
- Director of Financial Services Department
- Director of the Centre for Life Long Learning
- Director of the Centre for System & Information Services
- Director Centre for Research and Development
- Director of Strategic Business Unit
- Director of Academic Planning Unit
- Director of Quality Assurance and Academic Standard
- Director Centre for Entrepreneurial Studies
Covenant University academic programmes are run in two Colleges and six schools. The Colleges, Schools and programmes are as follow:
College of Development Studies
- School of Business
- Banking And Finance Management
- Business Management
- School of Social Sciences
- Economics And Development Studies
- Political Science & International Relations
- School of Human Resource Development
- Mass Communication
- Industrial Relations
College of Science and Technology
- School of Natural and Applied Sciences
- Computer & Management Information System
- Biological Sciences
- School of Environmental Sciences
- Building Technology
- Estate Management
- School of Engineering and Technology
- Chemical Engineering
- Petroleum Engineering
- Electrical & Information Engineering (EIE)
- Civil Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
School of Postgraduate Studies
Covenant University runs postgraduate programmes in the entire courses list above.
The University is situated on its main and only campus in Canaanland, Ota, where all its academic activities take place.
Also included in the sports facilities are;
- Swimming pool
- Lawn tennis court
- Table tennis court
- Basketball court
- Football pitch
- Volleyball court etc.
Covenant University’s Centre for Learning Resources, otherwise known as the University’s Library, is situated between the female Hall of Residence Dorcas Hall and Esther Hall areas of the campus, and directly opposite the University's chapel. The total floor area of the complex is 11,300m/2. It is designed as a glass structure. It is located amidst the college buildings, the University Chapel and the Halls of Residence. It is able to accommodate up to 3000 readers and about 500 research staff and postgraduate
- Ishaya Bako, Nigerian Film Director and Screen Writer.
- Bez, Nigerian multi-instrumentalist, Singer-songwriter and composer.
- Professor Eric Maskin, 2007 Nobel laureate
- Professor Ezekiel Adebiyi, Vice-President (2007-2011) and Secretary (2011-date) of African Society for Bioinformatics and Computational Biology 
- Association of Commonwealth Universities Members in Nigeria
- Covenant University partners USAID on health, leadership skills
- "Webometrics Rankings of Nigerian Universities". http://www.webometrics.info/. Retrieved 4 August 2014.
- "Latest Webometrics Ranking of Nigerian Universities, OAU Tops". ngscholars.com. 8 August 2014. Retrieved 10 August 2014.
- "Interview With Ishaya Bako – AMAA Film Award Winner". Ventures Africa. 2012-05-18. Retrieved 2014-08-02.
- 01.12.2012. "BN Saturday Celebrity Interview: It’s Show Time! Soul Singer, Bez dishes on Love, Fame & Music as he Counts Down to His “Super Sun Concert”". Bellanaija.com. Retrieved 2014-08-02.
- "Nobel Laureate Joins CU Faculty". covenantuniversity.edu.ng. Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- "Nobel laureate joins Covenant varsity". newtelegraphonline.com. Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- "Covenant varsity don discovers way to eradicate malaria". vanguardngr.com. Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- "We aim to eradicate malaria in Africa – Ezekiel Adebiyi". Vanguard (Nigeria). Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- 28.02.2013 (2013-02-28). "Student Expelled from Covenant University for Watching Pornography drags School to Court". Bellanaija.com. Retrieved 2014-08-02.
- "Africa | Nigeria probes HIV graduate test". BBC News. 2007-08-20. Retrieved 2014-08-02.
- December 29, 2012 (2012-12-29). "Covenant University expels 200 students for not attending Church service - Vanguard News". Vanguardngr.com. Retrieved 2014-08-02.
- "NANS condemns Covenant University for students’ expulsion | Premium Times Nigeria". Premiumtimesng.com. 2013-01-17. Retrieved 2014-08-02.
- Covenant University Official website