Coyote Point Systems
|Headquarters||Millerton, New York, USA and San Jose, California, USA|
|Products||Equalizer application traffic management appliance|
The company introduced hardware-based server load balancers nearly simultaneously with other large companies such as F5 Networks in the late 1990s. The company has its headquarters in San Jose, California, and maintains engineering facilities in Millerton, New York, USA.
Early Coyote Point customers included Wired for the HotWired Web magazine, and the online movie database IMDb. Coyote Point introduced several generations of new hardware and software with increasing performance and functionality, winning industry and press awards including the 2006 Network Computing Well-Connected Award and the Info Security Global Product Excellence Award. The company's VLB technology, which permits load balancing of VMware infrastructure, was nominated for Best of Interop 2008 and SYS-CON's Virtualization Journal Readers' Choice Awards.
Products and technology
Coyote Point's products are generally deployed at data centers, serving as front-end aggregaters of an array of web or application servers. By monitoring server and application availability and responsiveness, the Equalizer line of load-balancing appliances direct individual client requests to the server best able to handle them. Layer 7 rules (content switching) direct requests to servers hosting specific applications or content. Application acceleration technologies, such as SSL acceleration and HTTP compression are available on Coyote's higher-end products.
Custom hardware, such as Layer 2 switches and SSL offload processors, and custom operating systems based on FreeBSD are used in Coyote Point's appliances with performance of over 50,000 HTTP transactions per second in network benchmarks.
- Ohlhorst, Frank J. (September 1, 2010). "Coyote Point Offers Application Balancing for Virtual Servers". Linux Journal. Retrieved October 30, 2013.
- Doherty, Sean (April 24, 2006). "12th Annual Well-Connected Awards: Network Infrastructure". Network Computing.com. Retrieved June 11, 2013.
- "Info Security Products Guide Product Excellence Award 2006: Excellence in Load Balancing". Silicon Valley Communications. 2006. Archived from the original on July 11, 2006. Retrieved June 11, 2013.
- "Finalists 2008". Interop. 2008. Archived from the original on April 21, 2008. Retrieved June 11, 2013.
- "Coyote Point Systems Nominated for SYS-CON's 'Virtualization Journal Readers' Choice Awards': Coyote Point Equalizer VLB Nominated for 'Best Virtualization Platforms High Availability'". AjaxWorld. July 1, 2008. Retrieved June 11, 2013.
- Kontzer, Tony (March 27, 2013). "Fortinet Acquires ADC Vendor Coyote Point: Security vendor Fortinet announced its acquisition of application delivery controller vendor Coyote Point Systems. Fortinet hopes the acquisition will boost its enterprise presence". Network Computing.com. Retrieved June 11, 2013.
- Kerner, Sean Michael (January 13, 2009). "Coyote Point Builds on FreeBSD to Accelerate". Internet News.com. Retrieved June 11, 2013.
- "Coyote Point Systems Inc. Equalizer E350si: Competitive Performance and Feature Evaluation versus Barracuda Networks Load Balancer 340". The Tolly Group. August 2008. Retrieved June 11, 2013. (pdf)