Craft Brew Alliance
|Traded as||NASDAQ: BREW|
|86,553,060 Liters (724,900 barrels)|
- Redhook Ale Brewery founded by Gordon Bowker and Paul Shipman in 1981 in Seattle, Washington;
- Widmer Brothers Brewery founded by brothers Kurt and Rob Widmer in 1984 in Portland, Oregon;
- Kona Brewing Company founded by father and son team Cameron Healy and Spoon Khalsa in 1994 in Kona, Hawaii;
- Omission Beer developed internally in 2012 in Portland, Oregon; and
- Square Mile Cider, launched in 2013
According to the Brewers Association, it is the 9th largest beer brewing company in the United States, based on 2012 sales volume of 724,900 and an annual working capacity of approximately 1,075,000 barrels.
As of January, 2013, Anheuser-Busch InBev owned 32.2% of the business and is also the company's distribution partner, has two seats on its board of directors, and special status in the company's board committees. As of August, 2010, Brothers Kurt and Rob Widmer, founders of Widmer Brothers beer, owned a combined 18%.
The company was formed on July 1, 2008, with the merger of Redhook Ale Brewery and Widmer Brothers Brewery. CBA acquired Kona Brewing Company on October 1, 2010. In 2012, CBA launched a new brand called "Omission" beer, promoting the beer as specially crafted to remove gluten.
The company was originally named Craft Brewers Alliance, but changed its name to Craft Brew Alliance on January 12, 2012.
The company produces brands such as Redhook, Widmer Brothers Brewing, Omission Beer and several others.
|Kurt R. Widmer||Chairman of the Board|
|Terry E. Michaelson||Chief Executive Officer|
|Mark D. Moreland||Chief Financial Officer, Treasurer|
|Andrew J. Thomas||Chief Executive Officer|
|V. Sebastian Pastore||Executive Vice President - Brewing, Operations and Logistics|
|Ken Kunze||Chief Marketing Officer|
On November 21, 2013, the company announced that, effective January 1, 2014, Andy Thomas will take over as the company’s new CEO.
Redhook was founded in the early 1980s in Seattle. At first, the brewery was a small shop in the Seattle neighborhood of Ballard. The beers brewed by Redhook include ESB, IPA, Pilsner, Copperhook, and seasonal brews.
Widmer Brothers Brewing
Widmer Brothers brews various beers including Drifter Pale Ale, Nelson Imperial IPA, Rotator IPA Series, Drop Top Amber Ale, and Pitch Black IPAWidmer.
Kona Brewing Company
The company's Omission beer is designed to have low gluten content.
Use of the term "craft brew"
While the company name contains the phrase "craft brew", it does not meet the definition of a craft brewer according to the Brewers Association, due to the percentage stake owned by Anheuser-Busch InBev. The Brewers Association defines American craft brewers as "small, independent and traditional", with 'small' defined as an "annual production of 6 million barrels of beer or less", a limit changed in 2011 from 2 million to 6 million to ensure the ongoing inclusion of Boston Beer Company (the producer of the Samuel Adams brand), 'independent' defined as at least 75% owned or controlled by a craft brewer, and 'traditional' defined as at least 50% of its volume being all malt beer.
- CRAFT BREW ALLIANCE, INC. ANNUAL REPORT For the Fiscal Year Ended: December 31, 2012.
- Brewers Association Releases Top 50 Breweries of 2012, Brewers Association, April 10, 2013.
- 10 Craft Beers that Aren't, The Street, January 4, 2013.
- "Craft Brewers Alliance, Inc. Form 10-K". US SEC. p. 18.
As of December 31, 2010, A-B owns approximately 32.2% of our outstanding common stock and, under the Exchange Agreement, has the right to appoint two designees to our board of directors and to observe the conduct of all standing board committees.
- Page 3 - Anheuser-Busch Takeover Target: Craft Brewers Alliance? - TheStreet
- Craft Brewers Alliance accessed 08-30-2009
- Post-merger Widmer reports profit Portland Business Journal, August 12, 2009
- Craft Brew Alliance Reports Second Quarter 2013 Results, Craft Brew Alliance official web site.
- Craft Brewers Alliance is now Craft Brew Alliance
- Craft Brew Alliance Changes Ticker Symbol to 'Brew' accessed January 8, 2013
- brands of company, accessed, Oct 29, 2013.
- Key People in CBA
- Next CEO for CBA - Andy Thomas
- "Craft Brewer Defined". Brewersassociation.org. Retrieved 2012-03-16.
- That Craft Beer You're Drinking isn't Craft Beer – Do You Care?, Time Business & Money, August 13, 2013.
- Report: The Craft Beer Industry's Big Year, Associations Now, March 20, 2013.
- Brewers Association: Craft Beer is Now a $10 Billion Category, Brewbound, March 18, 2013.
- "10 Craft Beers That Aren't". TheStreet.com. Retrieved 2013-11-24.