Craig J. N. de Paulo
|The Most Reverend
Craig J. N. de Paulo
|President of the Old Catholic Confederation|
|Ordination||June 23, 2007
by Eparch Robert Mikhail Moskal
|Consecration||September 14, 2013
by Archbishop Peter Paul Brennan, Bishop Rodney R. Michel and Bishop William J. Manseau
January 1, 1968 |
|Occupation||Bishop, philosopher, theologian, professor|
|Education||Pontificia Universita Gregoriana
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
University of Fribourg
La Salle University
Craig J. N. de Paulo (born 1968 in Philadelphia) is a bishop, philosopher and theologian. He is the Chancellor and Professor of Philosophy and Theology at the Collegium Augustinianum Graduate School of Philosophy and Theology in Orlando, Florida, United States. He has held professorial appointments at the Pontifical Gregorian University, Fordham University, Temple University, Boston College.
De Paulo is President of the Synod of Bishops of the Old Catholic Confederation (OCC), a union of traditional Old Catholic churches. He was ordained to the diaconate of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church on March 24, 2007, and ordained to the priesthood on June 23, 2007, by Eparch Robert Mikhail Moskal. Later that year, he was installed as pastor in East McKeesport, Pennsylvania. He separated from the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church. He was elected a bishop of the OCC on July 21, 2013, and consecrated to the episcopate on September 14, 2013 by Archbishop Peter Paul Brennan. On December 25, 2013, Church of the Province of West Africa Archbishop Solomon Tilewa Johnson appointed and licensed de Paulo as his episcopal commissary for North America.
De Paulo was born in Philadelphia, and attended St. John Neumann High School. He received a B.A. from La Salle University in 1989. As an undergraduate, he spent a year at the University of Fribourg, Switzerland. He received an M.A. from Villanova University in 1991, where he studied Augustine and Heidegger. [clarify] He received a Licentiate in Philosophy in 1994 and a Ph.D. in philosophy in 1995 from the Pontifical Gregorian University in Rome.
As rector (2012–2014) of the Collegium Augustininaum Graduate School of Philosophy and Theology, in Orlando, Florida, de Paulo nominated and conferred honorary degrees upon controversial Catholic theologian Hans Küng, Cardinal Carlo Maria Martini, S.J., the late Archbishop of Milan and scripture scholar, and Archbishop Rowan Williams, former Archbishop of Canterbury and Anglican theologian.[relevant? ] De Paulo has also emphasized the ecumenical nature of the independent Catholic college by the appointment of Episcopal bishop Rodney R. Michel as chancellor of the institution.
Honors and awards
- Knight of Magistral Grace of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta (Resigned, December 2013)
- Knight Commander of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem[not in citation given (See discussion.)] (Resigned, December 2013)
- House of Bourbon-Two Sicilies: Knight Jure Sanguinis of the Sacred Military Constantinian Order of Saint George
- House of Savoy: Knight of the Order of Merit of Savoy
- "Collegium Augustinianum news". augustinianum.us. Philadelphia, PA: Collegium Augustinianum. 2014-03-27. Archived from the original on 2014-05-13. Retrieved 2014-06-11.
- "Craig J. N. de Paulo". marquiswhoswho.com. (subscription required (. ))
- "President of the Synod of Bishops". occus.org. Philadelphia, PA: Old Catholic Confederation. 2014. Archived from the original on 2014-05-12. Retrieved 2014-06-11.
- "From the 2007 family album". htucc.org. Carnegie, PA: Holy Trinity Ukrainian Catholic Church. Archived from the original on 2007-11-02. Retrieved 2014-06-11.
- "News and Press Release". occus.webs.com. Old Catholic Confederation of the United States. 2014. Archived from the original on 2014-05-13. Retrieved 2014-06-05.
- "Finding Augustine" author entry[not specific enough to verify]
- Paulo, Craig J. N. de (1995). Being and conversion: a phenomenological ontology of radical restlessness (Ph.D.). Rome: Pontifical Gregorian University. OCLC 493600967.
- 2012 Directory, American Association, Sovreign Military Hospitaller Order of St. John of Jerusalem, of Rhodes and of Malta.
- "His Grace, The Most Rev. Craig J. N. de Paulo, Ph.D., D.D". armorial-register.com. Telford: The Armorial Register Limited. Archived from the original on 2014-05-13. Retrieved 2014-06-11.
- "Appointments, admissions and promotions, February 2005". constantinianorder.org. The Sacred Military Constantinian Order of Saint George. Feb 2005. Archived from the original on 2013-04-10. Retrieved 2014-06-11.
- "Mass, convocation and investiture for the American delegation at the University Church of St. Joseph". savoydelegation-usa.org. 2004-12-10. Retrieved 2014-06-11.
- de Paulo, Craig J. N. (2003). "The Augustinian Constitution of Heidegger's Being and Time". American Catholic Philosophical Quarterly (Charlottesville, VA: Philosophy Documentation Center) 77 (4): 549–568. doi:10.5840/acpq200377431. ISSN 2153-8441.
- Italian National Catholic Archdiocese of the United States
|Old Catholic Confederation Titles|
|New title||Archbishop and President of the Synod of Bishops
2013 – present
|Anglican Communion Titles|
|New title||Episcopal Commissary for North America (Church of the Province of West Africa)
2013 – present