Craig M. Johnson
|Craig M. Johnson|
|Member of the New York Senate
from the 7th district
February 6, 2007 – January 4, 2011
|Preceded by||Michael Balboni|
|Succeeded by||Jack Martins|
April 21, 1971 |
New York City, New York
|Residence||Port Washington, New York|
|Alma mater||Amherst College
St. John's University School of Law
|Website||NYS Senate: Craig M. Johnson|
Education and early career
Johnson earned a B.A. degree (magna cum laude) from Amherst College in 1993. He earned his Juris Doctor degree (cum laude) from St. John's University School of Law in 1996. He was admitted to the New York State Bar Association in 1997. Johnson is of Counsel with the law firm of Jaspan Schlesinger Hoffman LLP in Garden City, New York.
On February 6, 2007, he became the first male Democrat elected to the State Senate from North Hempstead in more than a century. He represented the 7th Senatorial District, which includes all of North Hempstead and parts of Hempstead and Oyster Bay. He chaired the Senate Investigations and Government Operations Committee.
In the November 2, 2010 general election, Mineola Mayor Jack Martins, the Republican candidate, who also was backed by the Independence and Conservative Parties, was declared the winner by 451 votes. On December 20, 2010, New York's highest court rejected Johnson's final appeal.
- "Craig M. Johnson profile". Lawyers.com. Retrieved April 12, 2009.
- "Craig M. Johnson: Biography". New York State Senate. Retrieved April 12, 2011.
- Jaspan Schlesinger LLP: Craig M. Johnson[dead link]
- Cooper, Michael (May 3, 2000). "Nassau Voters Give Democrat Deciding Seat". The New York Times. Retrieved April 12, 2011.
- Murphy, William (December 3, 2010). "7th SD: UPDATED paper ballots counted, Martins by 451". Newsday. Retrieved April 12, 2011.
- "Matter of Johnson v. Martins / Matter of Jacobs v. Nassau County Board of Elections" (PDF). New York State Court of Appeals. December 20, 2010. Retrieved April 12, 2011.
- "Special Election Results, 7th Senate District: February 6, 2007" (PDF). New York State Board of Elections. 2007. Retrieved April 12, 2011.
- "General Election Results, State Senate: November 4, 2008" (PDF). New York State Board of Elections. December 4, 2008. Retrieved April 12, 2011.
- "General Election Results, State Senate: November 2, 2010" (PDF). New York State Board of Elections. December 13, 2010. Retrieved April 12, 2011.
|New York State Senate|
|New York State Senate, 7th District
February 2007–December 2010
|Ranking Minority Member of the Senate Environmental Conservation Committee
February 2007–October 2007
|Ranking Minority Member of the Senate Local Government Committee
October 2007–December 2008
George H. Winner, Jr.
|Chairman of the Senate Committee on Investigations and Government Operations