||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2009)|
September 1, 1965
Long Jetty, New South Wales, Australia
|Occupation||Actor, singer, musician, composer|
Craig McLachlan is an Australian actor, musician and singer. He has been involved in film, television and music theatre for the past 25 years. He is best known for appearing in soap operas Neighbours and Home and Away and for being in the BBC One spy drama Bugs. In 1990 he won the Gold Logie Award for Most Popular Personality on Australian Television for his work on Neighbours.
Craig McLachlan first appeared on Australian television in a guest role on The Young Doctors, and went on to be cast as Henry Ramsay, brother of Kylie Minogue's character ‘Charlene’ in Channel 10's Neighbours. After appearing in more than 800 episodes and winning the Gold Logie Award for Most Popular Personality on Australian Television (1990) and Silver Logie, he was contracted to Seven Network's Home and Away playing schoolteacher Grant Mitchell.
A guitarist, Craig went on to have international success as a singer/songwriter, achieving Australian and UK hit singles with his remake of the Bo Diddley song "I Need You Baby (Mona)", as well as his self penned "Amanda", "One Reason Why" and "On My Own". His band Check 1-2 went on to tour the UK and Europe.
In 1993 McLachlan starred as Danny Zuko in the West End revival of the musical Grease alongside Deborah Gibson and Sonia Evans. Breaking existing box office records, the initial nine-month season completely sold out before the first week of previews concluded. It was the beginning of a run of musicals for McLachlan, starring as Frankenfurter in The Rocky Horror Show, Caractacus Potts in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Bob Wallace in White Christmas, culminating in his performance of Billy Flynn in Chicago.
Throughout the first decade of the 21st century, McLachlan appeared in around 20 film and television projects, including the American movie Superfire, as Stuart Diver in the film Hero's Mountain, and Blackjack with Colin Friels. In 2004 he played Michael Chamberlain in Through My Eyes, an account of the Lindy Chamberlain story and in the same year began work in the recurring role of Kane Morgan in the popular show McLeod's Daughters. McLachlan echoed Buster Keaton as Jeff Kennard in the Australian film Hating Alison Ashley and worked alongside Benjamin Bratt and James Franco in The Great Raid. Most recently McLachlan starred with John Jarratt in Savages Crossing, for which he also composed the film's score.
He appeared regularly in the Network Seven hit TV series Packed to the Rafters as ageing rocker Steve Wilson and was cast in Rescue: Special Ops series 4 as the ultra competitive Hayden Bradley. He has also appeared as Steve, the handsome gay gardener, in the award winning production At Home With Julia and is returning for a second season of the comedy Lowdown for the ABC. In 2011 McLachlan had a guest starring role for CBS television's NCIS Los Angeles, appearing with Chris O'Donnell and LL Cool J.
Craig McLachlan returned to Australia in 2012 to commence filming on series 1 of The Doctor Blake Mysteries, playing the title role of Lucien Blake for ABC Australia/ITV UK, a period drama set in 1959 Ballarat.
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|Craig McLachlan & Check 1-2||
|Craig McLachlan & The Culprits||
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|Grease (Original London Stage Cast Soundtrack)||
|The Rocky Horror Show (Australian Cast Recording)||
|Year||Single||Peak chart positions||Album|
|1989||"Rock The Rock" (as Craig McLachlan & Check 1–2)||36||—||—||—||—||—||—||Craig McLachlan & Check 1–2|
|1990||"Mona" (as Craig McLachlan & Check 1–2)||3||8||44||5||26||16||2|
|"Amanda" (as Craig McLachlan & Check 1–2)||24||—||—||16||—||22||19|
|"I Almost Felt Like Crying" (as Craig McLachlan & Check 1–2)||—||—||—||—||—||—||50|
|1991||"On My Own"||23||—||—||—||—||—||59||Hands Free|
|1992||"One Reason Why"||—||—||—||—||—||—||29|
|"I Hear You Knocking"||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|"Time Warp" (with Australian Cast)||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||The Rocky Horror Show Sound Track|
|1993||"You're The One That I Want" (duet with Deborah Gibson)||—||—||—||24||—||—||13||Grease Soundtrack|
|1995||"If We Were Angels" (as Craig McLachlan & The Culprits)||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||Craig McLachlan & The Culprits|
|"Everyday" (as Craig McLachlan & The Culprits)||—||—||—||—||—||—||65|
|1996||"Hear The World Cry" (as Craig McLachlan & The Culprits)||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
- Craig McLachlan & Check 1–2: The Video (featured an interview and the video clips for "Mona", "Amanda", "Rock The Rock" and "I Almost Felt Like Crying") (1990)
|1991||Heroes II: The Return||Lt. Walter Carey||TV movie|
|1992||Mad Bomber in Love||The Whip|
|Absent Without Leave||James Edwards|
|1995||Catherine the Great||Saltykov||TV movie|
|2001||Abschied in den Tod||Det. Const. Steve McNamara||TV movie|
|Let's Get Skase||Eric Carney|
|My Husband My Killer||Warren Elkins||TV movie|
|2002||Heroes' Mountain||Stuart Diver||TV movie|
|2004||Through My Eyes||Michael Chamberlain||TV movie|
|2005||Hating Alison Ashley||Jeff Kennard|
|The Great Raid||2nd Lt. Riley|
|Amar A Morir||Nick|
|2012||The Last Match||Val||Short film|
|1986||Sons and Daughters||Student||1 episode|
|1987–1989||Neighbours||Henry Ramsay||Series regular|
|1990–1991||Home and Away||Grant Mitchell||Series regular|
|1995–1999||Bugs||Ed Russell||Series regular|
|2001–2002||Always Greener||Greg Graham||Recurring: 5 episodes|
|2004||McLeod's Daughters||Kane Morgan||Recurring: 10 episodes|
|2005||Supernova||Alistair Foster||1 episode: Unity|
|2008||City Homicide||Leon Grasby||1 episode: Golden|
|2008–2009||Packed to the Rafters||Steve Wilson||Recurring: 5 episodes|
|2009||The Cut||Dutch Holland||1 episode: A Falcon's Tail|
|2010||Lowdown||Ben Hollander||1 episode: Wasp in Translation|
|2011||Rescue Special Ops||Hayden Bradley||Recurring: 6 episodes|
|At Home with Julia||Steve the Gardener||Recurring: 4 episodes|
|NCIS: Los Angeles||Clifford Bosworth||1 episode: Lone Wolf|
|2012||Packed to the Rafters||Steve Wilson||1 episode: Endings and Beginnings|
|Lowdown||Ben Hollander||1 episode: Ben Behaving Badly|
|Lightning Point||Keith Mitchell||1 episode: Family Ties|
|2013||The Doctor Blake Mysteries||Dr. Lucien Blake||Series regular|
|House Husbands||Damo||2 episodes|
|Redfern Now||Jack||1 episode: Consequences|
- Allen, Robert Clyde (1995-01-18). To be Continued--: Soap Operas Around the World. Psychology Press. pp. 100–. ISBN 9780415110068. Retrieved 12 July 2012.
- "Going for Gold". TV Week (ninemsn (Nine Entertainment Co. & Microsoft)). Archived from the original on 17 April 2010. Retrieved 14 July 2012.
- "Craig McLachlan in Australian charts". australian-charts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2013-11-10.
- "GfK Dtch Charts:Craig McLachalan (albums)". GfK Dutch Charts Hung Medien. Retrieved 2013-11-10.
- "charts.org.nz: Craig McLachlan". charts.org.nz. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2013-11-10.
- "UK Official Charts Company". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 2013-11-10.
- "Craig McLachlan & Check 1-2 Album". Discogs. Retrieved 2013-11-10.
- "Hands Free Album". Discogs. Retrieved 2013-11-10.
- "Craig McLachlan The Culprits Album". Discogs. Retrieved 2013-11-10.
- "Grease Album". Allmusic. Retrieved 2013-11-10.
- "Rocky Horror Show Album". Allmusic. Retrieved 2013-11-10.
- "Australian Charts". australian-charts.com. Retrieved 2013-11-10.
- "Ultratop Belgian Charts". Ultratop.be. ULTRATOP & Hung Medien / hitparade.ch. Retrieved 2013-11-10.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts - German Singles". Hung Medien. Retrieved 2013-11-10.
- "The Irish Charts". IRMA 2006 - 2008. Retrieved 2013-11-10.
- "dutchcharts.nl - Dutch charts portal". Hung Medien. Retrieved 2013-11-10.
- "NZ Charts - New Zealand charts portal". Hung Medien. Retrieved 2013-11-10.
- "UK Chart Stats". chartstats.com. Retrieved 2013-11-10.
|Awards and achievements|
for Hey Hey It's Saturday
|Gold Logie Award
Most Popular Personality on Australian Television
for Tonight Live With Steve Vizard
and Fast Forward
|Actor to portray Caractacus Potts