February 27, 1977 |
|Batted: Right||Threw: Right|
|July 28, 2001 for the Texas Rangers|
|Last MLB appearance|
|June 16, 2009 for the Pittsburgh Pirates|
|Runs batted in||433|
Craig Keystone Monroe (born February 27, 1977, in Texarkana, Texas), nicknamed "C-Mo," is a retired Major League Baseball outfielder who most recently played for the Pittsburgh Pirates. He also spent time with the Texas Rangers, Detroit Tigers, Chicago Cubs, and Minnesota Twins. He is currently a studio analyst for Detroit Tigers TV broadcasts on Fox Sports Detroit. 
On July 19, 2006, Monroe hit a grand slam home run off Javier Vázquez of the Chicago White Sox that was decisive in the Tigers' 5–2 win. At the time, both teams were locked in a tense struggle for the American League Central division lead. Monroe called it "by far the biggest one I've ever hit." Craig led Detroit with 28 home runs that season, as the Tigers turned around more than a decade of losing with 95 wins, and he was second on the team with 92 RBIs. Craig also hit six home runs in the 2006 postseason, which culminated in a World Series appearance.
On August 17, 2007, the Tigers designated Monroe for assignment. On August 23, he was traded to the Chicago Cubs for a player to be named later. Monroe played with the Cubs for the remainder of the 2007 season. The Tigers received Clay Rapada to complete the trade. On November 13, he was traded to the Minnesota Twins for a player to be named later. On August 1, 2008, Monroe was designated for assignment by the Twins and released on August 8.
Monroe signed a minor league deal with the Pittsburgh Pirates on January 13, 2009. Monroe was added to the major league roster at the end of spring training. Monroe was designated for assignment on June 20 to make room on the roster for Steve Pearce. Monroe was released on July 1.
Monroe's mother's name is Marilyn Monroe, the same as that of the late actress. She was on hand to watch her son hit a go-ahead home run against the New York Yankees at Yankee Stadium on August 30, 2006. After the game, he told the media, "Marilyn Monroe is here in New York, and I'm thrilled."
- Craig Monroe joins FSD as analyst FoxSportsDetroit.com, March 28, 2012
- "Monroe's grand slam sends Tigers past White Sox". Unknown parameter
- "Ex-Tigers outfielder Craig Monroe joins FOX Sports Detroit as Detroit Tigers studio analyst". Retrieved 2014-02-28.
- "Monroe traded to Cubs to join Trammell; Tigers might get left-hander back". Archived from the original on 2007-08-31. Retrieved 2007-08-23.
- Dejan Kovacevic (2009-01-13). "Pirates sign outfielder, catcher to minor league contracts". post-gazette.com. Retrieved 2009-01-13.
- Cruz, Monroe earn final two spots
- Monroe is designated for assignment to make room for touted prospect
- "Monroe's clutch homer is for Mom". Retrieved 2007-09-09.
- "Harris has Rivers in his sights". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 2007-09-09.