Samson playing for St. Mirren
|Full name||Craig Ian Samson|
|Date of birth||1 April 1984|
|Place of birth||Irvine, North Ayrshire, Scotland|
|Height||1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|2004||→ Queen of the South (loan)||12||(0)|
|2005||→ St. Johnstone (loan)||12||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 23:43, 11 May 2015 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Craig Ian Samson (born 1 April 1984 in Irvine, Scotland) is a Scottish footballer, who currently plays as a goalkeeper for Scottish Premiership side Kilmarnock. He began his career with Kilmarnock, but made only one league appearance and spent time on loan to Queen of the South and St. Johnstone before leaving the club in 2005. He then spent a season each with Dundee United, Ross County, Dundee, Hereford United and Ayr United. In 2010, Samson joined St. Mirren, where he played for three years and won the Scottish League Cup in 2013. He rejoined his first club, Kilmarnock, in May 2013.
Samson is a former Scotland under-21 internationalist, having made six appearances between 2004 and 2005.
Samson began his career with Kilmarnock and made his senior debut in early 2004 in a Scottish Premier League match away to Aberdeen. This turned out to be his only appearance for the club and he had spells on loan at Queen of the South and St. Johnstone before leaving in 2005. Samson then had a season each at Dundee United, Ross County and Dundee before moving to England with Hereford in July 2008. Samson left the English club by "mutual consent" in April 2009.
On 13 July 2010, Samson signed with Scottish Premier League side St. Mirren. After the departure of goalkeeper Paul Gallacher, Samson was made first choice goalkeeper for St Mirren for the 2011–2012 season. Samson soon became a fans favourite for his willingness to dribble the ball out of his goal and for his incredible flying saves, after 7 early season shut-outs, Samson's form was rewarded with a full international call up on 6 November 2011.
At the end of season 2011-2012, Samson had two of his saves nominated for 'SPL Save of the Season', one being a stunning reflex to stop Sone Aluko. Outside the Old Firm, Samson and Motherwell 'keeper Darren Randolph kept the most clean sheets in the division, despite St Mirren finishing 8th in the table.
After rejecting a new contract offer by St Mirren, 29 year old Samson signed a two-year deal with Kilmarnock - preferring to return to his first club, and rejecting a contract offer from Motherwell. His deal with the club will run until the summer of 2015.
- St Mirren
- The Bell's Scottish Football Review 2005.06. Cre8 Publishing. 2005. p. 20. ISBN 978-0-95485-561-1.
- "Samson wins a Tannadice contract". BBC Sport. 29 July 2005.
- "Ross County make double signing". BBC Sport. 1 June 2006. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- "Bulls snap up keeper". Sky Sports. 22 July 2008. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- Ayr United sign keeper Craig Samson - Ayrshire Post
- "St Mirren sign Craig Samson as Mark Howard replacement". BBC Sport. 13 July 2010. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- Kilmarnock return is best option for goalkeeper Craig Samson - BBC Sport
- "Scotland: Craig Samson replaces Scott Bain in squad". BBC Sport. 2 June 2015. Retrieved 2 June 2015.