Craig Tanner on Avatar Set
|Born||Craig Ellis Tanner
March 28, 1974
Coronado Island, California
|Education||Roseburg High School|
|Alma mater||United States Air Force Academy|
|Occupation||Film Director, producer, editor, and President/Co-Founder of Digital Revolution Studios|
|Years active||2000 – present|
Craig Tanner (born March 28, 1974) is an American film director, film producer, and editor. He is an award-winning film producer and editor, best known for his work as Visual Effects Editor for the film Avatar and as producer and editor of God Sleeps in Rwanda. Tanner is also the co-founder of Digital Revolution Studios, a 3D production studio.
Tanner was born in Coronado Island, California and raised in the small town of Roseburg, Oregon. Tanner was a star athlete in high school, lettering in football, swimming, ski team, and wrestling team. He was offered a full scholarship to play college football at the The Air Force Academy. Tanner was a starter for the Division I NCAA football program for 3 seasons, winning the Western Athletic Conference (1995) and playing in the Copper Bowl (1995).
Tanner is a graduate of The Air Force Academy and served in the armed forces for eight years. When Tanner's passion for making movies was recognized at the Academy, he was asked to stay at the Air Force Academy, and charged with filming and editing for the Air Force Academy.
After his military career, Craig Tanner went on to edit feature films. In Hollywood, he resumed his filmmaking career with Warner Bros. and continued to work in post-production. In 2005, Craig Tanner was nominated for an Oscar and received an Emmy for the documentary God Sleeps in Rwanda.
In 2009, after working as a Visual Effects Editor for Avatar, Tanner co-founded Digital Revolution Studios, and began directing and producing 3D content for the emerging 3D home and theatrical market.
By collaborating with other leading experts in 3D research and development, Tanner designed and created 3D cameras and equipment for Digital Revolution Studios' use. He produced, directed and edited multiple award-winning content for small and larger venues, from wildlife and nature clips to commercials to independent feature-length films.
|2001||Crocodile Dundee in Los Angeles||Assistant Editor|
|2002||We Were Soldiers||Assistant Editor|
|2003||Shattered Glass||Associate Editor|
|2003||The Young Black Stallion||First Assistant Editor|
|2004||The Passion of the Christ||Assistant Editor|
|2005||Hide and Seek||Associate Editor|
|2005||The Family Stone||Associate Editor|
|2005||God Sleeps in Rwanda||Editor, Producer|
|2007||Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer||Visual Effects Editor|
|2009||Avatar||Visual Effects Editor|
|2011||Jillian's Travels||Director / Executive Producer|
|2011||3D Safari: Africa||Executive Producer|
|2011||Bullproof - 3D TV Series||Director / Executive Producer|
|2011||Living Large - 3D TV Series||Executive Producer|
|2011||Birds, Birds, Birds - 3D TV Series||Executive Producer|
|2011||The Cat House - 3D TV Series||Executive Producer|
|2011||WWII Winners - 3D TV Series||Executive Producer|
|2011||Cold Blooded - 3D TV Series||Executive Producer|
|2011||Moments In Asia - 3D TV Series||Executive Producer|
|2011||Jungles - 3D TV Series||Executive Producer|
|2011||Closed Encounters - 3D TV Series||Executive Producer|
|2011||Anza Borrego - The Last Refuge - 3D TV Series||Executive Producer|
|2011||BAMMA USA: Fight Night - 3D TV Series||Director / Executive Producer|
|2012||Humor & Heartache of War - Documentary||Director|
|2012||Animal Empire - 3D TV Series||Executive Producer|
|2012||Places & Spaces - 3D TV Series||Executive Producer|
|2012||Pocket Destinations - 3D TV Series||Executive Producer|
|2013||Road To Paradise - Documentary||Executive Producer|
|2014||Transformers: Age of Extinction||Stereoscopic Editor|
|2015||Terminator Genisys||Stereoscopic Editor|
Awards and nominations
- In 2005, Craig Tanner received an Emmy and was nominated for an Oscar for his work in God Sleeps in Rwanda.
- In 2011, Craig Tanner received a Lumiere for the "3D Electronic Media" in the Foster The People music video "Don't Stop"
- In 2011, Craig Tanner received an Telly Award for the "Best Use of 3D" in the TV series "Bullproof"
- In 2012, Craig Tanner received an Telly Award for the "Best 3D Commercial - Army Strong"
- In 2012, Craig Tanner received an Telly Award for the "Best 3D Online Programs - Pocket Destinations"
- In 2012, Craig Tanner received an Telly Award for the "Best 3D Non-Broadcast Production - Humor & Heartache of War"
- In 2012, Craig Tanner received an Telly Award for the "Best 3D Online Music Video - Don't Stop"
- "God Sleeps in Rwanda Filmmakers", Date Accessed: 2010-07-22
- Morse, Heather (2009-12-17). "Avatar Visual Effects Editor". The News-Review. Retrieved 2010-07-22.
- Craig Tanner at the Internet Movie Database
- "Digital Revolution Studios Bios", Date Accessed: 2010-07-22
- Kimberlee Aquaro; Stacy Sherman (2010-03-18). "God Sleeps in Rwanda". Retrieved 2010-07-22.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Craig Tanner.|