|Member of Parliament
for Calder Valley
6 May 2010
|Preceded by||Christine McCafferty|
30 August 1962 |
Radcliffe, Lancashire, England
Craig Whittaker (born 30 August 1962) is a British Conservative Party politician. He has been the Member of Parliament (MP) for Calder Valley since he won the seat at the general election on 6 May 2010.
Born in Radcliffe, Lancashire and educated at Belmont High School in New South Wales, Australia. He began his career in Australia with Pizza Hut as a restaurant manager from 1980-4, before transferring to the UK for a year with the same company. In 1985 he became a licencee with Liberty Taverns and with JW Lees in 1986. In 1988 he became Food Retail Director of Kezdem Ltd. In 1992 he joined Wilkinson Home and Garden Stores as a branch manager. In 1998 he became a retail general manager with PC World until 2009.
Whittaker was elected in 2003 to serve on Calderdale Borough Council for the Rastrick ward. He served as the cabinet member for children and young people from 2007-10. He stood down from the council in 2011. He was formerly (1998–2003) a member of Heptonstall Parish Council. He served as the chairman of the Calder Valley Conservative Association, 2005-06.
He has three children, Lee Whittaker, Sophie Whittaker and Bethannie Whittaker and lives in Rastrick with his wife businesswoman Elaine Wilkinson, whom he married in the Chapel of St Mary Undercroft at the House of Commons in August 2011.
In May 2012, he argued against legalising same sex-marriage.
Craig Whittaker serves on the Education Select Committee and has a special interest in enhancing the educational achievements of Looked After Children.
In 2012 Craig Whittaker was arrester for assaulting his son in a petrol station.
Funding and Expenses
Whittaker's registered members' interests are listed on the linked pages of Theyworkforyou.com, and constituency donations on Searchthemoney.com. Lord Ashcroft of Belize' company, Bearwood Corporate Services Ltd (now Impellam Ventures), contributed in £2,320.71 to the association several years ago.
- "Craig Whittaker MP". BBC Democracy Live (BBC). Retrieved 25 July 2010.
- "UK > England > Yorkshire & the Humber > Calder Valley". Election 2010 (BBC). 7 May 2010. Retrieved 12 May 2010.
- "Parliamentary biography". Parliament.uk. 2010-12-28. Archived from the original on 2010-12-28. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- Sam Casey Re-tyre-ment, The Hudderfield Daily, 2 April 2008
- MP’s marriage at Westminster, Halifax Courier, 5 August 2011
- "The blue Baron: how the Tories rely on Ashcroft". The Independent (London). 31 October 2009.
- Official site
- Craig Whittaker at TheyWorkForYou
- Craig Whittaker at Hansard
- Electoral history and profile at The Guardian
- Voting record at PublicWhip.org
- Profile at BBC News Democracy Live