Crandon, Wisconsin shooting
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (April 2014)|
|Crandon, Wisconsin shooting|
|Location||Crandon, Wisconsin, U.S.|
|Date||Sunday, October 7, 2007
Approximately 2:45 a.m. (CDT)
|Target||Crandon High School students and recent graduates|
|Mass murder, murder-suicide|
|Deaths||7 (including the perpetrator)|
|Perpetrator||Tyler James Peterson|
|Motive||Relationship dispute (suspected)|
The Crandon, Wisconsin shooting was a mass murder that occurred about 2:45 a.m. CDT on October 7, 2007, at a post-homecoming party inside a duplex in Crandon, Wisconsin, United States. The perpetrator, 20-year-old Tyler Peterson, who was a full-time deputy in the Forest County Sheriff's Department and a part-time officer at the Crandon Police Department, shot and killed six people and critically injured a seventh before committing suicide. One of the victims, 18-year-old Jordanne Michele Murray, was Peterson's former girlfriend, and it was believed the dispute within the apartment motivated the shooting.
Tyler James Peterson (March 6, 1987 - October 7, 2007), a 20-year-old full-time deputy in the Forest County Sheriff's Department and a part-time police officer at the Crandon Police Department, who was not on duty, entered an apartment complex where a homecoming party was held at approximately 2:45 a.m. CDT, and shot at seven people, ages 14 to 20, killing six of them and wounding the seventh. The gunman was later killed, initially believed to have been killed by a police sniper, but it was later discovered that he committed suicide by multiple gunshots, with the third shot being the fatal one. Police have determined that approximately 30 rounds were fired throughout the duration of the shooting.
All seven victims were either students or recent graduates of Crandon High School. The seventh victim, Charles Neitzel, played dead after being shot three times and survived, despite being critically injured. Those killed were:
- Jordanne Michele Murray, 18 (25 Jul 1989-7 Oct 2007)
- Katrina Lee McCorkle, 18 (18 Oct 1989-7 Oct 2007)
- Lianna Faye Thomas, 17 (12 Apr 1990-7 Oct 2007)
- Bradley Steven Schultz, 20 (30 Jan 1987-7 Oct 2007)
- Aaron Edward Smith, 20 (28 Jun 1987-7 Oct 2007)
- Lindsey Lou Stahl, 14 (5 Nov 1992-7 Oct 2007)
- Holusha, John (October 8, 2007). "Dispute Is Cited in Wisconsin Shooting". New York Times. Retrieved 2007-10-08.
- Deputy fired 30 shots from rifle in killing 6, officials say, CNN.
- Shooter killed after Wisconsin gun rampage, Telegraph.
|Wikinews has related news: At least 7 killed in Wisconsin shooting rampage|
- Cop shot dead after gun rampage.
- Documents fill in lost hours after gunman killed six in Crandon
- Horror and healing in Crandon
- Wisconsin Town in Shock