Crane Prairie Reservoir
|Crane Prairie Reservoir|
|Location||Deschutes County, Oregon|
|Primary inflows||Deschutes River|
|Primary outflows||Deschutes River|
|Catchment area||185 sq mi (480 km2)|
|Basin countries||United States|
|Designation||Wildlife Management Area within the Deschutes National Forest|
|Surface area||3,420 acres (1,380 ha)|
|Average depth||15.5 ft (4.7 m)|
|Max. depth||20 ft (6.1 m)|
|Water volume||55,300 acre·ft (68,200,000 m3)|
|Shore length1||22 mi (35 km)|
|Surface elevation||4,452 ft (1,357 m)|
|1 Shore length is not a well-defined measure.|
Crane Prairie Reservoir is a man-made lake located about 42 miles (68 km) southwest of Bend in Deschutes County, Oregon, United States. The reservoir is named for the cranes that thrive in its habitat and for the upper Deschutes River prairie that once covered the area before the dam on the Deschutes was constructed in 1922. Eighteen years later, in 1940, the dam was rebuilt by the Bureau of Reclamation. The reservoir now serves as one of Oregon's largest rainbow trout fisheries. The heaviest fish ever caught in the lake was a 19-pound (8.6 kg) trout.
The Deschutes River, which originates at Little Lava Lake, flows south for 8.4 miles (13.5 km) to Crane Prairie Reservoir. The river leaves the reservoir via the dam and continues south to Wickiup Reservoir.
- "Crane Prairie Reservoir". U.S. Forest Service. Retrieved June 18, 2011.
- "Crane Prairie Reservoir". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. November 28, 1980. Retrieved January 8, 2011.
- McArthur, Lewis A.; McArthur, Lewis L. (2003) [First published 1928]. Oregon Geographic Names (7th ed.). Portland, Oregon: Oregon Historical Society Press. p. 245. ISBN 9780875952772. OCLC 53075956.
- "Atlas of Oregon Lakes: Crane Prairie Reservoir (Deschutes)". Portland State University. 1985–2014. Retrieved July 1, 2014.
- "Deschutes River: Lava Lake to Crane Prairie". U.S. Forest Service. Retrieved July 1, 2014.
- Raven Maps & Images (1987). Oregon (Map). 1:500,000. Cartography by Allan Cartography (1993 ed.). Medford, Oregon. OCLC 41588689.
- Media related to Crane Prairie Reservoir at Wikimedia Commons
|This Deschutes County, Oregon state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|