Cranesville Swamp Preserve
|Cranesville Swamp Preserve|
|Nature Conservancy Preserve|
Bog at Cranesville Swamp
|States||Maryland, West Virginia|
|Counties||Garrett MD, Preston WV|
|Elevation||2,547 ft (776.3 m) |
|Area||1,600 acres (647.5 ha) |
|- National Natural Landmark||October 1964 |
|Owner||The Nature Conservancy|
|IUCN category||III - Natural Monument|
|Nearest city||Friendsville, Maryland|
|Wikimedia Commons: Cranesville Swamp Preserve|
|Website: Cranesville Swamp Preserve|
Cranesville Swamp Preserve is a 1,600-acre (650 ha) preserve situated in Preston County, West Virginia and Garrett County, Maryland. It is one of the few remaining boreal bogs in the southern United States,  unusual in harboring many plants and animals that are normally only seen in more northern climates.
Cranesville Swamp's unusual setting allows 19 different plant communities to flourish,  with the most dominant species being, among others, Sphagnum moss, Speckled Alder (Alnus rugosa), various sedges (Carex folliculata, and C. stricta) and grasses. Bog species include round-leaved sundew (Drosera rotundifolia) and narrowleaf gentian (Gentiana linearis).
In addition to black bear, porcupine, snowshoe hare and a wide variety of birds, the rare northern water shrew has been documented here. Birders have also noted the golden-crowned kinglet and Nashville warbler, rarely seen in this area.
- "Cranesville Swamp". Elevation Query. U.S. Geological Survey. Retrieved 2009-03-08.
- "Cranesville Swamp Preserve". The Nature Conservancy. Archived from the original on 2009-03-08. Retrieved 2009-02-26.
- "Cranesville Swamp Nature Sanctuary". National Park Service. Retrieved 2009-03-02.
- "Cranesville Swamp". West Virginia University Extension Service. Retrieved 2009-02-26.
- Fuller, KB; Frank, PS Jr. (Autumn 1974). "The Cranesville Pine Swamp". Atlantic Naturalist. 3 29: 101–105. Retrieved 2009-03-04.
- Colbert, Judy (2004). Maryland and Delaware: Off the Beaten Path : a Guide to Unique Places (8, Illustrated ed.). Globe Pequot. p. 10. ISBN 0-7627-4418-9. Retrieved 2009-03-05.