Cranford Township Public Schools
|Cranford Township Public Schools|
|Superintendent:||Dr. Gayle Carrick|
|Business Administrator:||Robert J. Carfagno|
|Address:||132 Thomas Street
Cranford, NJ 07016
|Enrollment:||3,894 (as of 2010-11)|
|Faculty (in FTEs):||321.5|
|District Factor Group:||I|
| %± vs.
|10||Operations & Maintenance||1,482||39||1,787||-17.1%|
|16||Median Teacher Salary||61,590||39||62,707|
|Data from NJDoE 2013 Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending.
*Of K-12 districts with more than 3,500 students. Lowest spending=1; Highest=106
The Cranford Township Public Schools is a comprehensive public school system serving students in pre-Kindergarten through 12th grade in Cranford Township in Union County, New Jersey, United States. The district is governed by a nine-person elected board of education.
The district is classified by the New Jersey Department of Education as being in District Factor Group "I", the second highest of eight groupings. District Factor Groups organize districts statewide to allow comparison by common socioeconomic characteristics of the local districts. From lowest socioeconomic status to highest, the categories are A, B, CD, DE, FG, GH, I and J.
The system's high school, Cranford High School (9-12; 1,139 students) was ranked 51st among all high schools in New Jersey in 2012 by New Jersey Monthly magazine after being ranked 13th statewide in the magazine's 2010 rankings. Cranford High School has a curriculum which has a strong push for technology in the schools, along with stressing service learning. The high school is recognized for its work in service learning and for being a national school of character. Cranford High School students are regularly admitted to some of the nation's top private and public universities, with over 90% of each graduating class going onto college.
Cranford has two public middle schools, Orange Avenue School (grades 3-8, 774 students) and Hillside Avenue School (K-8, 689 students), which are located on each end of the community and serve their local neighborhood. Both also are elementary schools as well. On the north side of town, along with Orange Avenue, are two other elementary schools, Bloomingdale Avenue School (PreK-2, 241 students) and Brookside Place School (K-5, 432 students). On the south side of town, along with Hillside Avenue, are two other elementary schools, Walnut Avenue School (PreK-2, 309 students) and Livingston Avenue School (3-5, 227 students).
Lincoln School, which is the home of the district's administrative offices, also houses the district's two alternative education programs, CAP and CAMP.
Awards and recognition
Board of education
The Cranford Public Schools is governed by a nine member Board of education. The board members are elected to three year terms in at-large elections held every April, with three seats being up every year. The board members take office a week after the election and at that meeting elect a president and vice president to serve one year terms.
- Dr. Gayle Carrick, Superintendent
- Robert J. Carfagno, Business Administrator / Board Secretary
- District information for the Cranford Township School District, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed May 6, 2013.
- Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending April 2013, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- NJ Department of Education District Factor Groups (DFG) for School Districts, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed December 7, 2009.
- Data for the Cranford Township Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed May 6, 2013.
- New Jersey School Directory for the Cranford Township Public Schools, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed May 6, 2013.
- "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical"", New Jersey Monthly, September 2012, posted August 16, 2012. Accessed May 6, 2013.
- Lincoln School, Cranford Township Public Schools. Accessed May 6, 2013.
- Best 100 (101!) Communities for Music Education in America, 2005, American Music Conference. Accessed December 12, 2006.
- District Personnel, Cranford Public School District. Accessed May 6, 2013.
- New Jersey School Directory, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed May 6, 2013.
- Cranford Township Public Schools
- Cranford Township Public Schools's 2012–13 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Data for the Cranford Township Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics