Crank That (Soulja Boy)
|"Crank That (Soulja Boy)"|
|Single by Soulja Boy Tell'em|
|from the album souljaboytellem.com|
|Released||May 2, 2007|
|Format||CD single, digital download, 12"|
|Recorded||2007; Soulja Boy's House (Batesville, Mississippi), Start2Finish (Kansas City, Kansas) and Collipark Studio (College Park, Georgia)|
|Soulja Boy chronology|
"Crank That (Soulja Boy)" is the debut single by American rapper Soulja Boy from his debut album souljaboytellem.com. It spent seven weeks at number one on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 in 2007. The song is recognized by its looping steel pan riff. The song was originally produced in FL Studio before being later reproduced.
"Crank That (Soulja Boy)" is the number 21 on the Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 100 Best Songs of 2007. The song received a nomination for a Grammy Award for Best Rap Song at the 51st Grammy Awards but lost to Kanye West's song "Good Life". On January 6, 2008, it became the first song ever to sell 3 million digital copies in the US. In 2009 it was named the 23rd most successful song of the 2000s on the Billboard Hot 100 Songs of the Decade. It has sold 5,080,000 downloads in the US as of February 2014.
The video (directed by Dale Resteghini) begins in the "ColliPark Residence" with Sincostan Ak Flame and J Fresh imitating the Soulja Boy dance, they frequently begin their sentences with the word "Bukaw," the slang from that area. Mr. Collipark takes a keen interest in the children's movements, leading him to contact Soulja Boy in an attempt to sign him up to "Collipark Records". His instinct is confirmed when he notices a number of people popularizing the dance, en route to meeting with Soulja Boy.
This video was premiered on BET's 106 & Park on August 9, 2007. The music video features Bow Wow, Chris Brown, Omarion, Unk, Baby D, Jibbs, Rich Boy, Arab, and several dancers doing the signature "Soulja Boy Dance."
A large number of "remixes" of the video, featuring the original audio track and video taken from cartoons such as Bambi II, SpongeBob SquarePants, The Simpsons, South Park, and most notably, Dora the Explorer, also appeared on YouTube at the time of the track's success. There have also been many parodies of the video parodying various people, including Michael Jackson and Barney, as well as a cover by post hardcore band I Set My Friends on Fire.
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||53|
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||6|
|Belgium (Ultratip Wallonia)||7|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||5|
|Germany (Media Control AG)||29|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||2|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||67|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||2|
|US Billboard Hot 100||1|
|US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard)||9|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||3|
|US Hot Rap Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100||23|
I Set My Friends on Fire version
|Single by I Set My Friends on Fire|
|from the album You Can't Spell Slaughter Without Laughter|
|Released||September 16, 2007|
|Producer(s)||Nabil Moo, Travis Richter, Jeff Abarta|
|I Set My Friends on Fire singles chronology|
The band released their first single over MySpace under the name of the Cavalry Kids. The song is a cover of the song, Crank That by Soulja Boy. The song quickly blew up on the Internet and was released on iTunes on September 17, 2007. It was then put on the band's first EP, "I Set My Friends on Fire" and eventually their debut album, "You Can't Spell Slaughter Without Laughter". The song was written by DeAndre Way and produced by Nabil Moo, Travis Richter, and Jeff Abarta.
- "Crank That" was featured in the episode 11 of Gossip Girl's fourth season
- "Crank That" is featured as a dance track on the game Dance Central on the Xbox 360 Kinect.
- A remixed rock version of "Crank That" with Soulja Boy and Travis Barker can be heard in the movie "Never Back Down".
- American R&B singer Beyoncé danced to "Crank That" during her 2007 The Beyoncé Experience world tour, before transitioning into her Destiny's Child hit Soldier.
- In 2011, British singer/actress Lulu appeared in the second heat in the third series of the BBC One program Let's Dance for Comic Relief, in which she danced to "Crank That" and billed herself and her dancers as "Lulu's Boys". She was eliminated by the panel.
- The "Crank That" dance was included in World of Warcraft's Cataclysm, expansion for male goblins.
- souljaboytellem.com (CD liner). Soulja Boy Tell 'Em. Interscope Records. 2007.
- "Crank That (Soulja Boy) - Writing Credits". BMI.com. Broadcast Music Incorporated. Retrieved 2010-08-15.
- No byline (December 11, 2007). "The 100 Best Songs of 2007" Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2007-12-21.
- Paul Grein (January 7, 2011). "Chart Watch Extra: Thank You, Daniel Powter". Yahoo Music (Chart Watch).
- "Hot 100 Decade Songs". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2010-01-10.
- Paul Grein (January 5, 2013). "Chart Watch: Beyonce Soars To #2". Yahoo Music.
- South Park-Crank dat soulja boy on YouTube
- Mason, Matt (10 May 2008). "Piracy is remixing culture and capitalism". The Guardian.
- "Australian-charts.com – Soulja Boy Tellem – Crank That (Soulja Boy)". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Soulja Boy Tellem – Crank That (Soulja Boy) – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Soulja Boy Tellem – Crank That (Soulja Boy)" (in Dutch). Ultratip.
- "Ultratop.be – Soulja Boy Tellem – Crank That (Soulja Boy)" (in French). Ultratip.
- "Illegal name entered Soulja Boy Tell'em/Soulja+Boy+Tell%27em/chart?f=793 Soulja Boy Tell'em Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Soulja Boy Tell'em.
- "Lescharts.com – Soulja Boy Tellem – Crank That (Soulja Boy)" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Charts.org.nz – Soulja Boy Tellem – Crank That (Soulja Boy)". Top 40 Singles.
- "Soulja Boy Tellem – Crank That (Soulja Boy) – swisscharts.com". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Soulja Boy Tellem" UK Singles Chart.
- "Illegal name entered Soulja Boy Tell'em/Soulja+Boy+Tell%27em/chart?f=379 Soulja Boy Tell'em Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Soulja Boy Tell'em.
- "Illegal name entered Soulja Boy Tell'em/Soulja+Boy+Tell%27em/chart?f=381 Soulja Boy Tell'em Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Pop Songs for Soulja Boy Tell'em.
- "Illegal name entered Soulja Boy Tell'em/Soulja+Boy+Tell%27em/chart?f=367 Soulja Boy Tell'em Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for Soulja Boy Tell'em.
- "Illegal name entered Soulja Boy Tell'em/Soulja+Boy+Tell%27em/chart?f=1222 Soulja Boy Tell'em Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Rap Songs for Soulja Boy Tell'em.
- "Billboard Hot 100 Decade-End 2000-2009". Retrieved 2012-04-15.
- "I Set My Friends on Fire tests one's tolerance on You Can’t Spell Slaughter Without Laughter". The Georgia Straight. Vancouver, Canada: Straight.com. Retrieved 7 February 2011.
- Video on YouTube