|Single by Eli Young Band|
|from the album Life at Best|
|Released||March 7, 2011|
|Writer(s)||Liz Rose, Lee Brice|
|Producer(s)||Frank Liddell, Mike Wrucke|
|Eli Young Band singles chronology|
"Crazy Girl" is a song recorded by the Eli Young Band, an American country music group. It was released in March 2011 as the fifth single of their career, and the first from their album Life at Best. It won song of the year at the 2012 ACM Awards.
Liz Rose co-wrote the song with Curb Records artist Lee Brice. According to Rose, the idea for the song came after the two began talking about how "females[…] have our crazy moments". Of the opening stanza, Rose said, "I know I've had those relationships on both sides, where you wanted to tell somebody[…]'Why don't you just chill? I'm not going anywhere!" Brice added that the song's melody "just took us to a place. It was kind of a sensitive kind of song, but it still had this edge to it that was really cool." He also thought that Rose was "good" at writing with a new artist such as him. Bassist Jon Jones said of the song, "Any time you find one [song] that's written a little differently, that's good."
Kyle Ward of Roughstock gave the song four stars out of five, praising the "particularly good" melody and the "effectively charming" lyrics, although he thought that it would have been better with a third verse. Ben Foster of Country Universe gave the song a C grade, saying that the narrator's attitude sounds "plain disrespectful of the woman's feelings." He goes on to say that "beyond the chorus, the verses are innocuous enough, but there’s just nothing here to overcome the fact that the song’s hook falls spectacularly flat."
The music video was directed by Brian Lazzaro and premiered in March 2011. A live music video was directed by Mason Dixon. The music video features a man and a woman, presumably a couple. The man rescues the woman from a physciatric hospital. As they are about to leave the hospital, the video cuts to a guard behind them with his hands on his hips. Finally, this man, part of the Eli Young Band, wakes up on the tour bus with his girlfriend curled up beside him.
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100||30|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||66|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100||76|
|Canada (Music Canada)||Gold||40,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||2× Platinum||2,000,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Conaway, Alanna (June 27, 2011). "Eli Young Band, 'Crazy Girl' — Lyrics Uncovered". Taste of Country. Retrieved July 1, 2011.
- Sauro, Tony (June 4, 2011). "Eli Young Band gets to return fans' appreciation". Recordnet.com. Retrieved July 1, 2011.
- Ward, Kyle (March 25, 2011). "Eli Young Band — "Crazy Girl"". Roughstock. Retrieved July 1, 2011.
- Foster, Ben (October 4, 2011). "Eli Young Band — "Crazy Girl"". CountryUniverse. Retrieved October 21, 2011.
- "Eli Young Band Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Eli Young Band.
- "Eli Young Band Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Eli Young Band.
- "Eli Young Band Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Eli Young Band.
- "Best of 2011: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2011. Retrieved December 10, 2011.
- "Best of 2011: Hot 100 Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2011. Retrieved 2011-12-09.
- "Canadian single certifications – Eli Young Band – Crazy Girl". Music Canada. Retrieved July 14, 2012.
- "American single certifications – Eli Young Band – Crazy Girl". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved June 7, 2013. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
"God Gave Me You"
by Blake Shelton
|Billboard Hot Country Songs
November 19, 2011
by Taylor Swift
"Love Like Crazy"
by Lee Brice
|Billboard Hot Country Songs
number-one single of the year
"Time Is Love"
by Josh Turner