Crazy Horse (cabaret)
Le Crazy Horse Saloon or Le Crazy Horse de Paris is a Parisian cabaret known for its stage shows performed by nude female dancers and for the diverse range of magic and variety 'turns' between each nude show and the next. Its owners have helped to create related shows in other cities, and unrelated businesses have used the phrase "Crazy Horse" in their names.
The Paris Crazy Horse occupies former wine cellars (12 in all which have been knocked together) of an impressive Haussmanian building at 12 Avenue George-V (from the British king George V, in French "George Cinq").
Alain Bernardin opened it in 1951 and personally operated it for decades until his death by suicide in 1994. Many of the original waiters (their names stitched in large letters onto the backs of their waistcoats) were also substantial shareholders in the original company. The enterprise remained a family business, in the hands of Bernardin's three children, until 2005, when it changed hands. By this time the name "Le Crazy Horse de Paris" was used for the original venue and Crazy Horse Paris for one in Las Vegas (formerly La Femme) at the MGM Grand.
The dancers are deliberately chosen to be indistinguishable on stage in height and in breast size and shape. Along with its dancers, the Crazy Horse has also been a popular venue for many other artists, including magicians, jugglers, and mimes. Bernardin explained that he loved magic because it corresponded with his vision: "[Magic] is a dream. There is no show that is more dreamlike than a magic show. And what we do with the girls is magic, too, because they aren't as beautiful as you see them onstage. It's the magic of lights and costumes. These are my dreams and fascinations that I put onstage." 
Under new management from 2005, Crazy Horse started featuring famous or prestigious artists stripping for a limited number of shows, including Dita Von Teese, Carmen Electra, Aria Cascaval, Arielle Dombasle or Pamela Anderson. They also hired Philippe Decouflé as choreographer Kelly Brook appeared in the fall of 2012. Also in 2012, the dancers went on strike for higher pay. Before the strike, which caused the cancellation of a high profile revue, they were paid €2,000 per month. The settlement yielded a 15 percent pay raise.
The Paradiso Girls have named their album Crazy Horse after the club, as one of their members Aria Cascaval worked there.
It is also mentioned in the Mötley Crüe song "Girls, Girls, Girls".
- In 1977, the club created and appeared in a documentary film, known as Crazy-Horse, Paris-France, or Crazy Horse de Paris.
- Crazy Horse-Le Show: a 2004 documentary in DVD format.
- Crazy Horse, Paris: a 2009 documentary in DVD format. The video features Dita von Teese.
- Beyoncé's music video for 'Partition' was inspired by, and partially filmed at Crazy Horse. The video is part of her 2013 self-titled 'visual album.'
Public transit access
Other entertainments with varying degrees of resemblance and similar names, but unaffiliated with the original, include:
- The Crazy Horse, Beirut, Lebanon
- Crazy Horse Too, Las Vegas
- Crazy Horse, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
- Crazy Horse Gentlemen's Club, San Francisco
- Crazy Horse, Adelaide, Australia
- Crazy Horse, Gold Coast, Australia
- Crazy Horse, Winston-Salem, North Carolina
- Crazy Horse, Akron, Ohio
- Crazy Horse, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
- Crazy Horse Too, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Crazy Horse Cabaret, Bronx, New York
- "Kevin James at the New Crazy Horse", September 1992, Magic Magazine
- Pamela Anderson at Paris' Crazy Horse cabaret for Valentine's Day AFP, Feb 1, 2008
- Pamela Anderson to perform at nude revue Reuters, Feb 1, 2008
- Découflé’s ‘Désirs’ at Crazy Horse, Artistik Rezo (in French). 2010-03-04. Article and video.
- "Be kissed by Kelly ... Kelly Brook to appear as guest star in Forever Crazy for one week only : November 1st -8th". Crazy Horse Paris - News. Crazy Horse Paris. Retrieved 11 November 2012.
- "Newsmakers: May. 17-24, 2012:Clothes off, the show’s on". MacLeans (weekly newsmagazine). May 24, 2012. Retrieved 11 November 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Crazy-Horse.|
- Crazy Horse official website
- Facade of Paris Crazy Horse
- History of Crazy Horse and La Femme
- Review of the documentary
- Mention of Alain Bernardin et Compagnie v. Pavilion Properties Ltd suit