Creighton University Medical Center
||This article needs attention from an expert in Hospitals. (April 2012)|
|Location||601 N. 30th Street, Omaha, Nebraska, United States|
|Affiliated university||Creighton University|
|Emergency department||Level I trauma center|
|Lists||Hospitals in Nebraska|
Creighton University Medical Center (also known as Creighton University Medical Center-Saint Joseph Hospital) is a hospital located in North Downtown Omaha, Nebraska. On April 24, 2012, CUMC signed an agreement to be part of the Alegent Health System (now CHI Health) during the summer of 2012.
St. Joseph's Mercy Hospital was founded on September 25, 1870 at 12th and Mason Streets by the Sisters of Mercy. This hospital was a plain wood frame building with two wards and ten rooms. In 1880, the Sisters of St. Francis took over management of the hospital and renamed it The Creighton Memorial Hospital. By 1882 an addition was required to keep up with care demands.
In 1892, John A. Creighton established the John A. Creighton Medical College along with a 200-bed hospital. The new hospital was built at 10th and Castelar Streets at a cost of $200,000, and was called The Creighton Memorial St. Joseph Hospital. At this time, the hospital became the primary resource for clinical instruction in the medical school. Several additions to the building were made at this location over the years.
In 1978 the hospital moved to its present facitily at 30th and California Streets.
American Medical International acquired St. Joseph Hospital in 1984; Tenet Healthcare acquired American Medical in 1995. In 2012, Tenent and Creighton University sold the hospital to Alegent Health (now CHI Health).
The hospital is the teaching hospital for the College of Medicine, College of Pharmacy, College of Nursing, College of Dentistry and the College of Health Careers.
The hospital has gone through several name changes beginning as Creighton Memorial, Saint Joseph Hospital, Saint Joseph Hospital at Creighton University Medical Center, Creighton University Medical Center, and most recently Alegent Creighton Health.
- "CU med center will remain open under Alegent". Omaha World Herald. Retrieved 25 April 2012.
- Western Medical Review, Volume 7. Western Medical Review Co. 15 September 1902. p. 265. Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- "Creighton Memorial St. Joseph's Hospital". Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- "Creighton University, A Brief University History". Creighton University. Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- Kutscher, Beth (2012-04-28). "Alegent expands its clout". Modern Healthcare. Retrieved 2015-01-04.
- Historic images Old St. Joseph Hospital, Omaha, Nebraska - Nebraska Memories
- Creighton University Medical Center