April 15, 1966 |
London, United Kingdom
|Residence||London, United Kingdom|
|Alma mater||University of Oxford|
|Notable work(s)||How to Train Your Dragon|
Cressida Cowell (born 15 April 1966) is a British children's author, popularly known for the novel series, How to Train Your Dragon, which has subsequently become an award-winning film as adapted for the screen by DreamWorks Animation. In addition to her other publications, Cowell works with illustrator Neal Layton in the on-going series of Emily Brown stories. The first in the series, That Rabbit Belongs to Emily Brown, won a Nestlé Children’s Book Award.
As a child, Cowell states she "grew up in London and on a small, uninhabited island off the west coast of Scotland," and that it was during summers spent on the Inner Hebrides where she first began to develop her writing and drawing talents:
- "I spent a great deal of time as a child on a tiny, uninhabited island off the west coast of Scotland...By the time I was eight, my family had built a small stone house on the island, and with the boat, we could fish for enough food to feed the family for the whole summer.
- "From then on, every year we spent four weeks of the summer and two weeks of the spring on the island. The house was lit by candle-light, and there was no telephone or television, so I spent a lot of time drawing and writing stories."
Cressida Cowell presently resides in London with her husband Simon, a former director and interim CEO of the International Save the Children Alliance; daughters Maisie and Clementine; and son Alexander.
List of works
How to Train Your Dragon books
- How to Train Your Dragon (2003)
- How to Be a Pirate (2004)
- How to Speak Dragonese (2005)
- How to Cheat a Dragon's Curse (2006)
- How to Train Your Viking, by Toothless the Dragon (2006)
- How to Twist a Dragon's Tale (2007)
- A Hero's Guide to Deadly Dragons (2008)
- How to Ride a Dragon's Storm (2008)
- How to Break a Dragon's Heart (2009)
- How to Steal a Dragon's Sword (2011)
- The Day of the Dreader (2012)
- How to Seize a Dragon's Jewel (2012)
- How to Betray a Dragon's Hero (2013)
- The Complete Book of Dragons: A Guide to Dragon Species (2014)
Emily Brown books
- That Rabbit Belongs to Emily Brown
- Emily Brown and the Thing
- Emily Brown and the Elephant Emergency
- Cheer Up Your Teddy Bear, Emily Brown!
- Little Bo Peep’s Troublesome Sheep
- Don’t Do That Kitty Kilroy
- What Shall We Do with the Boo-Hoo Baby
- There's No Such Thing as a Ghostie!
- Daddy on the moon
- Hiccup the Seasick Viking
- 2006 Nestlé Children’s Book Prize, Gold Award 0–5 years category: That Rabbit Belongs to Emily Brown by Cressida Cowell & Neal Layton (Orchard Books)
- "F.A.Q.s - Cressida Cowell – Quick Facts". Cressidda Cowell - Official Website. Retrieved 4 April 2012.
- How to Train Your Dragon (film)#Accolades
- http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/highlands_and_islands/8592461.stm BBC News, 30 March 2010 "Secret Scottish isle inspired dragon tales"
- DavidHigham.Co.UK (dead link) Archive.org link
- Official website – About me
- Chilton, Martin (8 October 2012). "How to Seize a Dragon's Jewel, by Cressida Cowell: review". Telegraph. Retrieved 31 January 2013.